*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425142-Brandenburg-Concertos
Rated: E · Essay · Music · #1425142
Description of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos
Introduction

I write this article because in my opinion there is much to say about concertos of Bach. Bach has always been one of my favorite composers, especially because of the way he writes score for the violin and cello. I think the way in which he has understood the full potential of the violin and cello and the use of this combination in harmony is something very few other composers have written music for.

Allegro

In the Brandenburg concertos we see some exquisite music written also for the trumpet. People usually associate trumpet as a very powerful instrument capable of loud and grand music but in these compositions Bach uses the trumpet and horn in such delicate and intricate weavings that it complements beautifully with the violin and bass instruments. These concertos are a true example of harmony which is in unison.

Allegro Assai

This movement is primarily written for the trumpet and bass and the beginning displays the perfect harmony between the two. The violin joins in the harmony later and then you have the flute and the bass getting more dominant. Touches of harpsichord to enhance the music. By the second minute you have all the instruments that have been introduced.
The mood created is that of sheer happiness and merriment. The image which comes to mind is that of a group of children frolicking around in a meadow carefree of worries and enjoying their games.

Allegro e

After the allegro assai this takes on a more adult like overtone with the movement starting with bass cello and violin. It's a perfect blend of all the instruments each of them getting their turn to play the melody and counter melodies. Even though the melody is oft repeated one does not feel it so because every time the instruments playing are a different combination. It gradually builds up to conclude the movement on a grand scale with all the instruments together.

Allegroe
The next piece is like a rondo or round where you have the violin,the flute and the harpsichord playing the melody and providing with the counter melody. The cellos add to the bass occasionally with plenty of pauses to highlight the main instruments.There is a harpsichord solo on the main melody. The variations of the melody are beautiful as they bring out the virtuoso of each instrument.

Andante

There is a melancholy tone set for this movement. Its like somebody saying why did you go away.. what did I do that u left? Come back come back I cant stay without you. The violins and the flute bring out the melancholy beautifully .The cellos in the background are like the wise old men who say I told you so .. I told you so while the young lamenter cries .
© Copyright 2008 RACHIT DOLIA (rdolia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425142-Brandenburg-Concertos