*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425212-The-Hacker-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Dark · #1425212
After bearing witness to his son's dirty work, the father looks back to the beginning....
"The Hacker: Chapter 2"


You know how they say your life flashes through your eyes in a near-death experience? For some reason, mine was doing that just as I saw the horror that was what later became known as the E-bomb.

I thought back to when he was born, over sixteen years ago.

When Simon was born, the doctors said he'd be lucky to live to be five, due to his incredibly frail body. We had him tested repeatedly; doing everything we could to make him comfortable.

When his 5th birthday came around, he was as happy and healthy as all the other 5-year-olds out there.

Unlike the other kids, however, Simon wasn't into roughhousing; no, he instead preferred to sit at the computer and type for hours on end. I remember coming home from work one night and seeing computer components strewn all over the floor, remnants of Simon's dirty work.

That boy had upgraded the graphics card, over clocked the processor, and installed a new operating system all in the course of a short afternoon.

I should have noticed it then, sent the boy to get some help.

Instead, I did the usual parent-thing: I encouraged him.

Looking back on it now, it was the biggest mistake I've ever made.


TO BE CONTINUED..........
© Copyright 2008 Tom Kline (enilkmot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425212-The-Hacker-Chapter-2