*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425505-World-of-Little-Gods
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #1425505
"Send the imposter out!"
                          WORLD OF LITTLE GODS 
Christ started walking along the 79th Park Avenue, lost in His heavenly thoughts. People were passing by, grinning and passing remarks, "Nice getup, buddy! Just got out of studio?" and so on.
The priest, Matthew Walter, was keenly following him, trying to remain as close to him as he could, in the hustle and bustle of the New York streets. "May God nobody hurt him again!" he murmured to himself. The word 'again' was uttered with a sense of pain.
"What is this, my friend?" Christ asked a street vendor, pointing to a bar of chocolate.
"Get lost, you pauper!" shouted the young vendor, with his headphones over his ears.
"God bless you!" smiled Christ and moved on.
Matthew Walter approached the vendor and bought two bars of chocolate and continued his pursuit.
Whole day he followed Lord Jesus Christ, but he was unable to have a word with Him, for the moment he caught up with Him, suddenly, he felt as if a force was trying to hold his tongue. The bars of chocolate were still clenched in his sweating hand. It was the month of July, and the heat was intolerable.
Matthew remembered his country church where eight orphan kids would be waiting for him. He had come to New York to buy new clothes for the poor children. His wife Elda had reminded him many times before his departure that he had to come back before it was too late. It was just 1:00 pm, and he had a lot of time before the departure of the last train at 8:00 pm.
At one place, Jesus stopped and sat down on the steps of a large building. A security personal came out shouting,"Hey, you joker! What are you sitting here for?"
"Can you give me some water, my friend?" smiled Jesus, looking in his eyes.
"Get lost, you beggar! This is not a charity! You will have to buy water here", the guard yelled at him and pulled His arm to raise him from the steps of the building.
Matthew Walter was watching all this with his moist eyes. He wanted to go near Jesus and help Him but an invisible force bound his feet. May be, Lord himself wanted him to stay away. It was quite strange that people were pushing Him and making fun of Him but he could not even go near the Lord. Matthew thought, perhaps, it was Lord's way of presenting Himself.
The pursuit continued for hours but, ultimately, the priest lost Him in the crowd. Finally, he decided to go to the store to buy the clothes for his dependants. It was nearing 6:00 pm, and the last train to his village was to depart at 8:00 pm.
In the shop he hurriedly bought the goods and rushed towards the station. He wanted to tell his wife about everything. How much surprised she would be. Would she believe him if he told her that he had met Lord Jesus Christ.
When Matthew reached home, it was ten minutes to midnight. In spite of having brought all the things as he had been advised by his wife, his steps felt heavy while walking through the gate of his church. In the
Matthew and his wife lived with the orphans in a small cottage behind the church. It was their small heaven. Though childless, the couple found their happiness among the orphan kids which were brought to their church from various parts of the country.
When he stepped into his room, he faltered at the threshold for a second because he saw Jesus playing with the little kids in his room.
"He is a poor man who has no place to spend the night, so I gave him shelter for the night in our church," his wife whispered in his ear.
Before he could tell her how wrong she was and the poor man was the Lord for whom the church had been established, she continued, "He seems to have some kind of mental illness because he calls himself Jesus".
Matthew was ashamed and bewildered. He had no words in his mouth. He knew that it would be impossible to convince her that the man playing with the kids was Lord Jesus Christ. Somehow, rallying courage, he addressed to the Lord," Lord, may I ask you a question?"
"Yes, my son," smiled Jesus.
"Why have you come to my poor house?" Matthew asked timidly. He had his hands folded toward Jesus.
Lord answered, "People don't want me out there. They are ignorant and innocent. They laugh at me and push me around. I forgive you. Matthew, I am hungry. Won't you give me the chocolates which you have bought for me?"
The priest stammered, and pulled the chocolates out of his pocket, with shaking hands. He very respectfully passed those chocolates to the Lord. He had no courage left to meet Lord's eyes.
Jesus gave those chocolates to the kids and began to play with them.
Next morning, the new spread like a jungle fire that an imposter had entered the church and he called himself Jesus. People began to gather outside Priest's cottage. They began to shout," Send the imposter out! Hand him over to us!"
Matthew did not know what to do. He took the Lord to the back door and told Him to run away. Jesus smiled and said," This is not the first time I am facing the ire of the people. They are ignorant. It is not their fault. Don't worry; they will go away after some time.
Matthew came out of the house and he persuaded the people to stop shouting and told them to go back.
When he reentered his room, there was no trace of Jesus.
Next morning, he left the church with his wife and the orphan kids. To his wife he said," The church where Jesus is not welcome can not be the place of worship. They can sell His faith, earn through His faith, teach the faith, worship the faith, but when He comes before them, they call Him and imposter!" Matthew began to weep like a child. His wife could not understand what had happened to him.
                                                                                                      Rajasir.
 

© Copyright 2008 Rajasir (rajasir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425505-World-of-Little-Gods