*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425718-Jake-and-the-Professor
by SWPoet
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1425718
A bright young artist learns of failure and success in a small town retirement village.
 
    "How on earth can you be so doggone bright and flunk Art, son.  What were you thinking? Don't you care about your grades?  Do you think I can afford college if you don't get a scholarship?" 

    "You should have thought of that when you dragged me to this godforsaken town.  I'm not like these people. You just don't get it, Mom.  Anyway, how can I get an Art scholarship when the only Art teacher around here is a glorified substitute teacher?  Did you know she isn't even an artist? She's a permanent fill in for the one they fired last year for arranging to have nude models in the classroom.  Now he is one I might have learned from.  This place -- it's backward, Mom.    I hope you're satisfied.  I hope this job is all you ever wanted in life.  At least one of us will be happy. " 

    Jake was done with this conversation.  He pushed open the door to the nurse's lounge, slammed it behind him and threw himself on the fake leather couch.  He just didn't get it.  What was so special about this town.  What did she do, pull out a map, get blindfolded and point to a random spot in the middle of the deep south.  They didn't even know anyone here.  He was miserable and not afraid to make sure she remembered that fact.
   
    "What was that all about?"  A nurse was behind a tall cabinet getting more coffee cups and Jake had not seen her.  He recognized her from other times he had visited his mom at the Retirement Village Clinic.  "Flunked Art, did ya?  I thought that was your thing, hon.  I'm Annie, we haven't really met but your mom talks about you all the time here.  We all feel like we know ya.  I got a minute before my shift starts.  Sit and tell me what's up.  You want some coffee?  You look like you've been run over by a truck.  You just sit and rest, I'll bring it over, you like your coffee black or what?"

    "That's fine, black I mean and yeah, I could use a little venting over here.  Mom is driving me crazy."  While Annie fixed the coffee, Jake explained Art situation.  As he saw it, he had a perfectly good reason for failing.  He was protesting.  Yeah, that was it.  He was thinking how stupid it was to be forced to paint a picture of some fruit when he had entire universes full of subject matter in his head that begged him to give them life.  So what if he turned the plum into an alien and the vase into a spaceship for his final project that counted 50% of his 9 week grade. 
   
    "You did not!  You better watch Ms. Anderson.  Known her all my life.  She and momma get their hair done together all the time.  She don't have a funny bone in her body.  And, she thinks kids that dress like you are punks, plain and simple.  Don't matter you got a brain on your shoulders or some talent.  To her, you're a punk.  She won't change, neither.  The woman's been griping about teenager's clothes and how the kids nowadays are going to seed and the worlds' a coming to an end.  Good luck with that one, kiddo.  She used to think I was a slut because I wore my skirts too short.  Do you see an expensive chain store around here?  Sarah's Fine and Dandy has sizes 1-10 and if your lucky, a 12.  They don't make clothes for tall heavy folks around here.  It was my thighs that done it.  They kept riding my skirt up.  Didn't matter how many times I told that woman, she still would tell me if I didn't 'quit showing it all, there wouldn't be any surprises for my husband someday.  And men like surprises.'  Can you believe she said that to me?  And I was her best friends daughter.  You're nothin' but a citified, skater dude, punk with an attitude.  See what I mean, hon.  You ain't got a chance in H-E-double hockeysticks of passing her class."

    "Gee, thanks for the pep talk.  I guess I need a new wardrobe, and job for that matter.  I can kiss that scholarship goodbye."  Jake was half teasing though.  He wouldn't change what he wore just to kiss up.  For a girl maybe, but not for Ms. Anderson. 

    "A new attitude wouldn't hurt neither.  Folks 'round here get all gushy about manners and all.  An ax murderer can say yes ma'am and folks would give them the keys to their houses.  Try it, you'll see.  Shoot, I gotta go.  I'm late for my shift already.  Enjoy the coffee." 

    As Annie breezed out the door, Jake wondered exactly how much older than him she was.  He couldn't believe she said what she did about her thighs.  Women.  He couldn't figure them out for anything.  She was attractive, actually, she was really attractive.  A little heavier on bottom than on top but still, he would go out with her if he was legal, not that she would want to go out with him.  His mom was the same way, complaining about her body parts when there was nothing wrong.  They all talk about diets at school and half the girls look like bean poles. 

    Jake flopped back on the couch, pondering the mysteries of the genders.  He was in deep thought when he heard a knock on the door.  In peeked the head of an elderly gentleman, a tall shock of grey hair sticking through the door jam. 

    "Son, can I borrow your services for a moment?  Your mom said you might be able to help me with something."

    Jake stared at him for minute, confused, and then regained his composure.  He didn't know this man's name but had seen him around the Senior Center.  It sounded to him like his mother was busy volunteering him for duty around the facility.  She had some kind of radar to know just when he was starting to relax, or as she called it, being lazy. 

    "No problem, sir, I don't think we've met.  I'm Jake."  Shaking hands, he was proud of himself for remembering his manners.  Those long weeks with his grandmother when he was a little kid must have done him some good after all.  Now, that lady was the original Mrs. Manners. 

    "Paul Benton's the name but folks here call me Professor."  He returned the handshake and looked Jake over, from head to toe. 

    "You look like a strong enough kid.  I reckon you'll do just fine."  Mr. Benton turned to walk ahead of Jake, who was scrambling to stuff his chips in his backpack and follow him, not that he couldn't catch up with the old man. 

    "So, what do you need me to do, move stuff or what?"  Jake was hoping he could catch sight of his mom and dump the backpack in her locker.  He had been instructed to bring all his books home and his backpack had to be pushing 40 lbs. 

    "You'll see.  Not a very patient young man, are you, Son?" Professor Benton said this with a wry little wink toward Jake, who didn't miss the gesture. 

  "Well, you're not the first one to say that.  I'm not really impatient, just curious.  At least this is better than staring at walls for hours waiting for my mom."  Jake really was glad for something to do.  Maybe this would make the afternoon pass quickly and he would have a good excuse for not finishing his homework. 

    "So, is this where you live?"  Jake looked around the apartment from the doorway.  Boxes were everywhere, the paper filing boxes they use in police movies to hold evidence and files from a case.  He had a couch, chair and a huge old wooden desk.  It was battered and wasn't painted or varnished.  He had several lamps on it and trays with the tops of pins barely visible from where Jake stood. 

    "Yep, this is my humble abode.  More like my life's work all in one living room.  This is why I dragged you away from your nap.  I can't get through my own apartment at the moment.  My son had all my documents sent here from his basement.  He moved them there when I had my heart attack and he cleaned out my office at the university where I taught.  I was retiring soon anyway but my health wasn't good and the heart attack sped up my retirement.  Problem was, I couldn't clean my own office out in time for the new boy to move in and start teaching.  My son put everything in these boxes last year and said when I got back on my feet and moved into my own place here, he would send them.  That was over six months ago.  I've been downright impatient myself, wanting my babies right here with me.  Kept thinking he would get a flood in that basement and my entire life's work would be ruined.  I finally paid the boy, my son that is, to get a moving van and send my boxes here.  They just arrived yesterday and I've been tripping over these boxes all morning.

    "What was your life's work, Professor?  You want me to start moving things while we talk?" Jake really was growing to like this old guy.  After a nod from the professor, Jake picked up a box and started moving it where he was shown. 

    "Bugs-well, bugs and plants.  That's what I do.  All I've ever done.  I'm afraid my family took second fiddle to my love for these little critters and the world they live in.  My son always said he'd have had more time with his daddy if he were born an insect.  I'm ashamed to say he might be right on that account.  Put that box right there and come sit a minute.  I'll show you something that might take an edge off that boredom you mentioned before." 

    After an hour of looking in tray after tray of bug displays, Mr. Benton and Jake finished moving the contents of the last of the boxes to the empty shelves leaning against one wall.  Jake thought the old man just might be the most brilliant person he'd met in this town.  It was fascinating to him to see all this man has researched but sad too that his entire life fit inside about twenty boxes and some trays.  Must be lonely, he thought.  But then, he too knew about loneliness. 

    Mr. Benton went to the kitchen and returned with two glasses of tea and handed one to Jake.  "Forgot my manners, Son.  What is it you do for fun?  Girls?"

    "Yeah, right. I wish. The girls are afraid to bring me home to meet their parents.  No one gets me in this town.  Art is my thing, though.  I paint, that is, I'm an artist, an unappreciated and completely misunderstood one at that." 

    "Is there any other kind?" Professor Benton flashed a wry smile. "I have an idea.  You take this book home and come back tomorrow with some sketches-don't forget the color.  Oh, and, no aliens okay?  Yes, your mom told me about the final.  I like your spirit, kid.  It'll get you in trouble but I tell you got some fire in that mind of yours.  You just come back tomorrow with as many drawings as you can muster tonight--three or four will do just fine.  See, these boxes here contain research for a book I've been writing for years, a textbook of sorts.  What I lack is a good illustrator.  You just do your best and I'll see if you've got some talent after all.  Best get back before your momma thinks I've kidnapped you.  And don't you use me as an excuse for not getting that homework done.  I will not be contributing to the ignorance of a minor." 

    Jake smiled all the way to the main building.  He was flipping through the book of bugs as he walked, not paying attention to where he was going.  After bumping into the pole next to the back door, and saying "excuse me" like a total idiot, Jake tucked the book under his arm and returned to the lounge. 

    He couldn't wait to start.  Glancing at the clock, he noticed he had another thirty minutes until his mother would be finished with her shift.  He dug way down to the bottom of his bag for the colored technical drawing pen set his art teacher from his old school had given him when his mother withdrew him.  Until today, all he wanted to do was go back to his old school where he fit in, not with everyone but at least with the art kids.  Now, he wasn't so sure.

    He was in the middle of drawing the thorax of a red wasp when it dawned on him that these bugs aren't a far cry from the aliens he has been drawing.  He laughed as he thought of what he might be doing with Professor Benton.  Wouldn't it be funny if he became an illustrator for a college textbook?  That would really show Ms. Anderson that there were jobs to be had drawing aliens--well, at least alien looking bugs. 

    Jake was proud of his first drawing and looked forward to showing it to Mr. Benton the next day.  He was thinking about running back over there to let him look at some of his other drawings but thought of that comment he made about Jake being impatient.  Well, he had to admit he was a little impatient, but only when he was passionate about something, and someone tried to get in his way. 

    He stashed his notebook and pens in his backpack just in time for his mother to enter the lounge at the end of her shift.  He could already hear the question about to come out of her mouth, before it reached his ears.  "Have you finished your homework yet? Don't let me catch you drawing aliens before you've finished your homework, you understand?"  Only this time, instead of angering him, it only fueled the determination he had to make something of himself and show this town that even "citified punks" with bad grades can succeed in this world. 

 


 

Brandy Dinsmore
2402 words


© Copyright 2008 SWPoet (branhr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425718-Jake-and-the-Professor