*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431258-Truth-about-Short-Stories
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Other · #1431258
Writing tips for Short Stories Newsletter June 4, 2008
         Nothing can be more frustrating than to spend hours, even days or weeks, writing a short story that's concise and precise; then some one criticizes by saying the story doesn't have enough detail or description.
         Leaving a reader wanting more is fine, a sign of good writing and interesting plot and characters. However a short story requires less detail than a longer writing does.
         Let's look at some of the truths behind writing a short story.

blue butterfly sig


Some Truths about Short Stories


         A short story is usually fiction, but not always. When non-fiction, the writing still follows the format and appearance of a story. The writing is short enough to be read in one sitting. The writer does not have much time to introduce characters (and needs to keep number to a minimum) and set up scenes. Details and description must be limited. Therefore, those readers who want extensive detail and description need to look for another type of reading material.

         The author still must give enough information to allow the reader to know and follow the story without overburdening the story with excessive material.

         As for any item, the first paragraph must catch and keep the attention of the reader. The characters must be believable, the plot move forward, a conflict resolved, and the ending fit.

         However, the short story has a few differences. A short story needs to get off to a fast start and start as close to the conclusion as possible, according to D.G. Jerz. Also due to a lack of space/time, usually the plot deals with only one problem. The only - let me repeat that - the only detail used is that necessary for understanding the characters, plot, or situation. Also the time frame of the story usually covers a short period of time.

         In the next issues of this newsletter that I do, I will cover more ideas, strategies, and truths about writing short stories: Getting Started; That First Paragraph; Characters in SS; Point of View; Dialogue; Setting and Context; The Plot; Conflict and Tension; Climax; and Resolution. Some may be combined, but all areas will be covered.

Stories from W.Com


The Patron Staff  [ASR]
Morning dawned soft in the Enchanted Wood.
by Brandiwyn🎶

 Sky Underwater  [E]
Claddissa Sky uses her wits to rescue other people, and herself, when she needs to.
by Lizzy

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

 Valentine's Day  [13+]
69-word story
by ⭐Princette♥PengthuluWrites


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor




Words from our Readers


StephBee - House Targaryen
         Viv - great topic. I find that I write the short story, put it out there, and I get a lot of feedback about wanting more or "why don't you expand this?" Currently, I'm working on a paranormal romance inspired by a short story. Inspiration comes from all kinds of places.

         Yes, inspiration does come from all kinds of places, and often a short story leads to a great novel.

Helen McNicol
         Good points Vivian :) Congratulations on the book. Your newsletter has helped me with my own work. I wrote a short story for a competition last year and had to cut out several characters/words to make the word limit of 2,000. I had so many comments from people saying they wanted more, that it could have been a lot longer, I often wondered if there was a whole novel there? With your notes in hand I will now see if indeed there is a longer work to be taken from this short story. Thanks.

         Thanks for the congratulations on my book. It comes out in about a month. Good luck with your project. Let me know how it goes.


emerin-liseli
         Great newsletter - I tried this once with a short story I wrote, and while I felt it had potential for a novel, I realized about 20,000 words in it really didn't! Laugh I guess I should have thought things through better before I started..
                              Hugs,
                              Em

         Often we or other think a story would make a good novel, but when we try, we discovered *sigh* it was all wishful thinking. I've been there, too.

NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth
         Great points to consider when deciding whether to go w/ short story or novel.

Acme
Thanks for highlighting my second place win in Mavis' contest Delight Heart.

         I'm glad the last issue helped.



Thanks for joining me this week. I hope you'll return next month to visit with me. Please enjoy the other short stories newsletters between now and then, though.

Viv

© Copyright 2008 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431258-Truth-about-Short-Stories