*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433323-The-Passage-of-the-Stars
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #1433323
A fiction of the spiritual heart

Believing  in  the  sun  from  which  rain  falls,  eternally  this  dark  and  overcast  day  serves  as  a  reminder  to  all  that  I  have  done  wrong.  A  sleet  of  rain,  drenching  me  to  the  core,  I  cannot  find  a  way  out  of  this,  not  one  that  I  can  think  of...
These  puddles  of  mud  that  splash  against  me  from  the  passing  of  cars,  soaking  me  with  filth.  I'm  not  concerned. I  chose  this  path,  through  means  by  my  own  actions,  throwing  away  salvation  that  once  would  have  saved  me...

Along  this  long,  deserted  road,  in  which  I  walk  alone,  there  is  not  one  person  to  help  me  in  my  time  of  need. This  I  know  by  the  actions  of  others,  actions  of  myself  that  have  caused  this  present  turmoil  within  my  heart.  Looking  down  at  my  feet, one  foot  at  a  time,  as  they  crunch  on  the  wet  gravel  of  this  worn  and  battered  road,  my  mind  racing  with  things  I  never  know  existed  within  me.  A  coldness  of  emotions  that  I  never  thought  existed...
Why  am  I  gone?  What  am  I  to  do  with  myself?  Is  this  the  path  I  chose  for  myself,  since  chidhood?  When  all  I  recieved  was  grief  through  my  life  and  misunderstanding  because  of  who  I  am  as  a  person?

With  a  tear  trickling  down  my  eye,  combined  with  the  rain  that  has  soaked  me  through,  I  wander  eternally  down  this  road,  not  thinking  of  the  rain  that,  even  now,  seeps  its  way  under  my  clothing  and  freezes  my  blood  solid.  Ice...  My  this  life  I  lead  has  been  one  of  cold  understanding;  not  caring  about  the  expressions  of  others. There  wasn't  any  point,  when  the  world  beyond  my  field  of vision  remains  as  harsh  and  murderous  as  the  secret  desires  of  the  human  soul.  Why  am  I  thinking  these  things?  Why should  it  matter  to  me  what  the  world  is  like?  Build  it  better!  Yes...  everything's  going  to  be  alright.

Still,,  this  is  the  present,  and  I can't  escape  the injustices  of the  world,  can't  escape  the  injustice  that  resides  in  my  heart  like  a plague - infecting  everyone  I  encounter  with  a  deadly  poison. I  chose  this  path,  alone  and  seperated  from  everyone  else  in  this  life,  and  that  oddly  reassures  me.  Why?  I'll  never  understand...

Not  one  person  understands  me,  not  one  person  asks  to  be  my  friend... but  I 'm  not  concerend  with  trivial  matters. The  life  I  lead  now,  through  the  person  I  am,  alone  and  without  a  home,  I  am  free  to  do  as  I  wish.  Bliss.

Aching  and  cold,  this  rain,  it  has  brought  me  to  the  end  of  my  tether.  I  can't  go  on.  One  step  seems  so  far  away... yet,  in  the  horizon,  I  see  a  being  with  long  hair,  not  one  whom  I  have  seen  before.

I  stop,  exhausted  from  my  constant  travels  and  watch  as  this  being  slowly  approaches. His  mouth  opens,  words  of  an  unknown  language,  I  can  hear...
I 'm  not  sure  what  this  means.  Sadness,  pity,  kindful  help  from  those  I  do  not  know...  I  feel  like  an  alien,  cast  out  from  society  throgh  invisible  words  and  expressions  of  hatred.  I've  banished  myself .  It's  my  security  blanket,  to  not  be  around  anyone. But  even  as  this  strange  man  approachess,  cast  in  the  rainbow  mist  of  the  rain  upon  his  parasol,  I'm  not  tempted  in  the  least  to  turn  and  run.

Then,  I'm  standing  face  to  face  with  him,  and  I  am  handed  his  parasol,  neat  and  crisp,  with  colours  of  red  and  blonde  imprinted  on  its  oval  form. I  nod  once  in  a  gesture  of  thank  you,  and  the  stranger  nods  in  return,  without  a  word  and  continues  down  the  road,  the  rain  quickly  drenching  him.

I  ask,  without  thinking,  "What  is  your  name,  Sir?"

"I  have  many  names."  Is  his  simply  reply.

"Please,  I  cannot  accept  your  only  umbrella,"  as  I  stared  at  him  through  the  pouring  rain.  I  don't  deserve  this  stranger's  kindness,  not  like  this...

"It  is  a  gift,  my  love,"  the  man  said  without  looking  back.  "After  all,  a  beautiful  lady  like  yourself,  should  never  be  in  such  as  state."

"Have  you  travelled  far  in  this  rain?  Seen  a  lot  of  things?"

"I  have  seen  many  things.  And  these  last  few  years  I  have  watched  you.  I  have  secretly  fall  in  love  with  you..."

A  bow  of  the  head,  the  man  places  his  hands  inside  the  pockets  of  his  soaking  pants  and  starts  walking  once  more.  A  cold  breeze  flutters  past,  washing  the  rain  hard  in  my  face.  I  shiver  as  the  parasol  in  my  hand  quivers.  I  can't  help  but  smile  in  the  darkness,  caused  by  the  rain,  as  the  man  vanishes  from  sight  in  the  darkness  of  the  night.

Everything  I  thought  previous  until  now  seems  nonsensical.  Wandering  thoughts  of  a  travelling  road  show... the  trees  that  line  the  roadside,  skeletal  fingers  that  seem  to  reach  out  for  me  and  strangle  me...  the  world  is  my  stage  and  I'm  acting  out  this  tale  of  self-absorbed  depression,  like  a  Shakespherean  play...

I  shiver,  not  from  the  cold  or  the  thought  of  doom  that  pervades  these  thoughts  of  mine,  but  how  carefully  I  let  my  imagination  play  tricks  on  me. The  road  before  me  is  deserted,  leaving  nothing  but  the  silence  of  my  endless  walk.  The  parasol  spluttering  from  the  rainfall,  making  as  little  noise  as  I  trudge  along  this  muddy  track.

"I  have  seen  many  things..."

How  uncanny  is  it,  that  I  still  hear  his  voice  long,  after  he  disappeared.  Like  a  ghost,  I  never  saw  one  through  the  shadows,  nor  knew  what  he  was  telling  me...

"I  have  watched  you..."

Mysterious  words  that  mean  nothing  from  one  that  I  have  never  known  or  met  before,  yet  they're  strangely  familiar... an  enigma,  of  sorts.  A  hallucination,  perhaps? Still,  as  I  look  up  at  the  parasol  that  drips  with  the  rain  and  feel  the  handle  clenched  in  my  hand,  this  is  real...

Memories  return  in  front  of  my  eyes,  flashes  of  beautiful  trees  and  flowering  green  gardens  I  haven't  any  memory  of.  What...?

"I  have  secretly  fallen  in  love  with  you..."

A  heart  beat  flutters  within  me,  filling  me  with  a  warmth  that  I  can  almost  remember  feeling  before. I  stop  walking;  the  mud  around  my  feet  caking  my  shoes,  splatters  dripping  off  my  jeans. The  rain  has  subsided  without  my  knowledge.  Strange.  As  I  look  around,  the  things  that  both  comforted  me  and  scared  me,  has  changed  this  night.

My  eyes  close  from  exhaustion,  my  vision  that  was  blurred  from  the  remnants  of  the  downfall  are  finally  able  to  rest. Rainfall...  tears...  I'm  positive  that  they  are  a  mixture  of  both  that  have  stopped  me  from  seeing  what  I  wanted  to  see  of  this  world. I'm  cold  and  tired,  my  legs  shake  beneath  me  as  though  all  strength  has  left  them...

From  far  away,  I  can  hear...  something...  A  low  whistle  that  seems  to  be  growing  closer  with  each  passing  second.  What...?

"And  these  last  few years..."  Again,  stronger  this  time,  but  also  softer,  somehow...

More  sounds  emerge  from  behind  my  eyelids,  different  than  everything  else.  Confused  and  jumbled,  like  they're  colliding  with  each  other  in  a  state  of  disarray.  These  voices  talking  at  once  are  drowning  my  head,  but  still  I  can  hear  the  man's  voice  clearly.

My  eyes  flitter  open  through  strength  that  makes  my  legs  quiver  more.  I  reach  out  to  hold  onto  something, anything,  but  there's  nothing  on  this  road  to  stop  me  from  falling.

Release.

My  vision  is  blurred  still;  the  forms  around  me  are  ugly  comparisons  of  their  true  self.  I  wipe  away  the  water  and  tears  with  my  free  hand,  and  suddenly,  a  yelp  escapes  my  lips,  surprised  of  those  who  now  surround  me.  A  gathering  circle  of  people  looking  down  at  the  roadside,  shock,  sadness,  disbelief,  all  showing  in  each  their  eyes.  The  wailing  of sirens  pierces  the  air,  growing  louder  with  each  passing  second.

I  stand  in  the  center  ring  of  the  circle,  facing  the  crowd.  Confusion  about  the  state  of  things.  Where  did they  all come  from,  when  up  untill a  moment  ago,  I was  alone  on  this  trek?  What's  going  on?

From  the  corner  of  my  eye,  I  catch  a  glimpse  of  the  familiar. Standing  at  the  back  of  the  crowd,  in  what  seems  like  a  clump  of  bushes,  the  same  mysterious  man  is  watching  me,  his  hazel  eyes  sparkling  not  with  sadness  or  showing  the  tears  of  sorrow,  but...  It's  an  emotion  I  can't  place...

He  dips  his  head  down  once,  his  long  hair  now  drooping  flatly  over  his  shoulders.  All  I  can  do  is  look  at  him  with  wonderment.

"After  all,  a  beautiful  lady  like  yourself,  should  never  be  in  such  as  state."

Sparks  of  realisation  run  down  my  spine,  knowing  what  it  is  that  I  should  have  known  all  this  time.  I  don't  want  to  look  down  at  my  feet,  but  I  find  myself  doing  so.

The  sound  of  wailing  continues  to  grow  louder  as  I  slowly  turn  around,  facing  each  member  of  the  crowd  in  turn  and  peering  into  their  hearts.  I  see  things  I  never  knew  would  have  been  present  in  anyone.  All  their  hopes  and  fears,  all  of  their  joys  and  everyone  they've  loved  in  this  lifetime... What they secretly want  to  do  with  their  lives...  Everything's  seeping  out  of  them  in  a  long  flowing  river  of  warmth  that  greets  my  being  in  a  way  that  tears  start  to  surface  once  more  in  my  eyes.

I  don't  need  to  see  what's  at  my  feet  anymore,  because  I  can  already  see  it  in  my  heart.  Although  I  can  feel  the  tears  running  down  my  cheeks,  I  don't  feel  one  bit  sad  about  this.  They're  now  tears  of  happiness...

I  turn  to  face  the  strange  man  once  more,  somehow  knowing  that  all  I  ever  wanted  was  to  be  with  him...

I  ask  once  more,  "What  is  your  name,  Sir?"

"I  have  many  names,"  he  replies  and  holds  out  a  hand,  a  smile  touching  his  lips  that  cause  more  tears  to  fall  from  my  eyes.

I  move  through  the  crowd  and  gently  rest  my  hand  in  his,  smiling.  All  that  I  have  known  and  all  that  I  have  been  was  always  within  my  grasp.  This  depression  of  life  that  I've  lived...  it  was  all  for  preparing  me  for  this  one  encounter...

"After  all,  a  beautiful  lady  like  yourself,  should  never  be  in  such  a  state."
© Copyright 2008 WhiteLiner (quas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433323-The-Passage-of-the-Stars