*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433324-Smokers-Moon
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Death · #1433324
One war; one soldier; one's duty to the Flag
Slumped  from  exhaustion,  both  pyhsically  and  mentally,  a  young  figure  feels  the  jagged  edges  of  the  rocks  stabbing  into  his  already  blood-stained  uniform;  though  his  mind  is  too  far  gone  now  to  offer  care  at  what  pain  is  dealt  for  him  anymore.

Through  the  cooling  evening,  he  doesn't  move,  not  a  muscle  even  as  the  daylight  slowly  fades  away  and  the  shadowy  darkness  of  night  quickly  rolls  through  the  canyon,  bringing  to  life  the  demons  of  the  night.  Yet  not  once  does  the  thought  of  caring  bring  him  to  break  from  the  mindless  stupor  that  has  set  in;  where  the  pain  and  horrors  of  the  past  day  are  very  much  real,  even  now,  to  this  poor  soldier.

As  the  hours  pass  and  the  cold  night  sets  in  fully,  bringing  the  stiffling  humidity  of  the  day  down  a  few  degrees,  the  Moon's  pock-marked  face  appears  in  the  heavens,  as  though  God  has  finally  arrived  to  carry  the  souls  of  the  dead  away  from  everyone  who  cared  for  them  during  the  living  years.

With  his  eyes  gazing  above,  without  reflection,  he  sees  the  Moon,  from  all  its  beauty  and  love,  looking  back  at  him;  before  a  sight  of  beauty,  now  one  of  ugliness  as  a  toothy  grin,  as  yellow  with  plaque,  holds  the  head  of  an  eagle,  who's  blood  dripping  tears  cry  a  river  of  sorrow  over  the canyon.  With  no  thought  of  the  sight  beholding  his  eyes,  the  soldier  made  no  counter-move,  remained  silent  and  still,  letting  the  breeze  wash  the  flesh  from  a  thousand  rotting  corpses  waft  into  his  nose.

Miles  away,  where  the  scene  of  slaughter  saw  unfathomable  evil,  fires  still  burned,  the  pieces  of  machinery  smouldering  and  dead  soldiers  returning  to  the  Earth  as  spirits  from  whence  they  were  taken  in  earthly  form,  from  the  shallow  trenches  that  would  bear  no  name  or  rememberance.

Each  fire  burning  on  the  battlefield  on  the  horizon  telling  a  part  of  the  larger  story  as  they  crackle  away  with  cries  from  the  tortured  souls  of  the  dead,  caught  between  the  Land  of  the  Living  and  the  Land  of  the  Dead.  Some  still  experiencing  the  pain  they  felt  as  they  were  once  left  to  slowly  die,  and  some  left  with  the  pain  of  not  knowing  they  are  dead.  But  the  sadder  calls  to  hear  were  the  cries  of  agony  from  the  enemy  soldiers  who  were  captured,  imprisoned  and  subject  to  more  mental  anguish  to  go  along  with  their  physical  pain.

In  the  mind  of  this  self-defeated  soldier,  the  cries  of  assistance  from  the  dying,  there  exists  a  memory,  clear  and  piercing  through  the  black  clatter  of  post-war,  like  a  lantern  dangling  from  a  tree  branch  in  the  eye  of  a  storm.  The  uncompromising  horror  of  life  being  snuffed  in  the  merest  instant  of  a  ticking  watch  and  in  which  there  lives  an  eternal  feeling  of  remorse  that  cannot  evict.

Along  the  battered  trail,  a  nameless  soldier  with  hopes  and  dreams  skewers  his  face  with  concentration;  hands  trembling  as  he  struggles  to  keep  hold  of  a  pen  for  that  one  last  stroke  on  the  page.  Papers  filled  with  loving  words  and  truthful  feelings;  confessions  of  the  soul  that  mean  more  for  one  instant  of  life  than  all  the  years  put  together...

Shells  exploding  near  and  far,  as  the  trumpets  sound  and  the  muskets  fire.  Tears  of  unrequited  acts  plaguing  authors  with  real  affirmation  that  no  more  shall  he  see  the  tranquility  of  peace.  With  the  soldiers  advancing,  four  by  four,  a  quivering  glance  at  the  future  that  won't  exist  as  that  crafted  spherical  bullet  jettisons  from  the  barrel  and  sails  the  air  with  ease,  finding  a  home  in  the  neck  of  the  fearful.  One  small  choke  and  a  pull  back  of  the  head,  the  letters  to  home  glide  to  the  ground  and  find  tearful  stains  of  blood  to  pool  in.

Through  the  stench  and  decay  of  the  burning  flesh  and  unanswered  pleas  of  remorse,  a  black  and  twisted  General  walks  astray  among  the  mounds  of  despair  and  ruin,  gnawing  the  end  of  his  cigar  and  smiling  like  death.  Medals  of  varying  importance  adorned  his  relatively  crisp  uniform  -  a  hard  day's  work  for  one  who  sends  others  for  the  fight,  without  conscience  or  burdon  to  contend  with.

His  slick,  oily  hair  groomed  neatly  and  eyebrows  of  bush  leave  for  nothing  but  a  thawed  relic  of  prehistoric  times  who  watches  an  attack  then  circles,  in  the  moment  of  greedful  hunger  that  satiates  the  pains  that  cannot  be  vanquished.  This  senseless  want  for  war  and  destruction,  where  the  victor  inevitably  runs  astray  to  be  entombed  in  personal  quest  for  deliverance  that  never  comes,  is  a  constant  reminder  to  the General  of  what  wars  truely  brought  those  who  fought  this  day.

Fading  from  time  as  easily  as  an  old  memory  that's  forgotten  through  the  chaos  and  confusion  of  a  battered  mind  reeling  from  abusive  alcohol  and  starving  personalites.  Where  the  past  and  present  collide  in  an  explosion  of  happiness  and  horror  and  the  physical  battle  ends  long  before  the  mental  anguish  of  those  who  cry  that  live  on  through  the  day; chattering  all  night  long.

But  the  words  that  are  heard,  speak  not  of  revelance,  nor  rationality,  but  the  growing  concern  to  be  heard  and  action  which  bases  itself  on  the  social  equivalency  of  a  rabbit  in  hunting  season.  A  flash  of  life,  far  different  from  reality  that  encompasses  the  peace  and  happiness  which  once  was  lived  in  this  battle-scarred  waste  of  paradise;  now  but  a  decomposing  ocean  filled with  the  relics  of  forgotten  souls.

When  once  he  wore  a  proud  young  face,  where  glory  was  hoisted  on  his  shoulders  for  the  generations  of  the  future,  a  childish  innocence  accompanied  the  pride  through  the  trek  of  life  which  disregarded  the  dangers  of  youth  for  immortality  of  a  soul  without  heart;  and  where  the  star-studded  blue  crossed  red  banner  hung  like  a  shining  beacon  in  the  night,  for  hope  and  support  and  the  ideals  of  a  nation  divided  -  leaving  the  blood  of  a  nation  that  would  be  spilled  coldly  and  mercilessly  for  generations  still.

Now,  to  be  brought  back  to  the  reality  of  life  in  a  shock  that  witnessed  the  prophetic  Moon  with  a  tale  so  drenched,  the  fallen  musket  rifle  returns  to  life.  One  bullet,  no  prayers,  and  the  lifeless  returns  to  the  deep  slumber  from  whence  it  was  born.

© Copyright 2008 WhiteLiner (quas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433324-Smokers-Moon