*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433995-The-Importance-of-Fire-Police
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1433995
This article describes the fire police member's importance in a fire department.
The Importance of Fire Police

When you hear the sirens and the horns from the fire trucks blaring as they pass your house, you wonder if it's someone's house on fire or if it's an automobile accident. You're curious, just as most people are. You don't think twice about it because it's the firemen rushing to an inferno or accident scene. You may not think about whether the firemen will be safe.

The dedicated, volunteer firemen (and in some departments, fire women) are there to serve the community and keep other property safe in the event of a structure fire. They are also there to help a trapped person get out of a vehicle after an accident so that ambulance personnel can transport them to the nearest hospital in the least amount of time.

But, what about the safety of all the fire personnel? Who is going to watch out for them while they risk their lives to save others and/or their property? Who is going to make sure that the general public doesn't get too close to the fire or accident scene and get hurt? Who watches the fire apparatus and equipment to make sure it stays safe and doesn't get damaged?

The answers to these questions lie in the fire police --- a little unrecognized part of some volunteer fire departments. I'm sure that a lot of you have seen the fire police directing traffic away from a fire or accident scene. But that's not all the fire police do. They are there to help protect the fire personnel and equipment, keep everyone safe, and the fire personnel don't have to worry about curious onlookers getting injured. Fire police are also there to direct a piece of fire apparatus to the appropriate spots where they are needed.

You may say, "Oh, but they're not actually police officers. I don't have to listen to them, and they can't arrest me." You're only half right on that statement. It's true that they aren't actually police officers, but they can arrest you if you cross the fire line or decide you don't have to listen to what they tell you.

Fire police are sworn to protect and serve, just as any officer of the law. They go through many hours of training and are only part of a volunteer fire department.

There are stiff penalties for disobeying fire police. The fines start at $85 and double in an emergency response area. If you assault a fire police officer, you will be charged with a felony.

I, personally, am a member of my local fire department's fire police. All that any fire police member asks of the general public is that you be patient, courteous, and above all, respect them. They're there to protect you as well as any fire personnel.

Minninger, R. (2006). Fire Police. Retrieved June 2, 2008, from www.libertyfire17.org: http://www.libertyfire17.org/firepolice.html

© Copyright 2008 bjshaffer40 (bjshaffer40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433995-The-Importance-of-Fire-Police