*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435425-An-Oceanside-Escape
by Jewel
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #1435425
a vacation to remember
An Oceanside Escape.

The most memorable vacation occurred a few years ago. My husband and I decided to take a trip that would provide entertainment for both children and adults. We chose Ocean City Maryland; a short car ride from our home. We stayed in an all inclusive hotel on a strip of road flanked on one side by row after row of hotels overlooking the ocean. Our cabana was situated next to the indoor pool area. A place where the kids were sure to spend most of their time. The multi-level suite boasted an upstairs master bedroom with a balcony facing the ocean. The moment I saw the surroundings, I knew I was in for a treat.

A few days into our stay, I rose early and made my way down to the open cafe. My plan was to grab a few moments of relaxation before the days activities began. I grabbed a seat at a table looking out over the water; a cup of coffee and a novel sat on the table, that I had chosen for just such an occassion. I settled back in my chair and watched the day begin. The cloudy haze of morning slowing lifting to reveal the first signs of sunlight. Lifeguards setting up their stations, employees arriving to work, and the sun worshipers; eager to claim the best spots on the beach, were the movements surrounding me. I noticed then, that a small crowd had gathered by the water. Lifeguards began roping off sections to swimmers, and the crowd began to grow. A waiter brought over my breakfast, so I decided to ask him what all the activity was about. "We have a family of dolphins that pass through here almost every morning., he said casually, then went back to work taking orders. I couldn' resist the urge, so I ventured down to the water.......

There they were, just as the waiter had said. Three or four dolphins were playing in the ocean. They seemed so close to the beach! I watched them shoot up out of the water, flip forward then dive back in. The crowd gasped and cheered, as the dolphins seemed content to entertain us with their antics. For the next few minutes the dolphins continued their game of tag, flipping around on another, spraying water into the crowd; before they suddenly retreated into deeper water, then disappeared from view. This was the most beautiful site I had ever seen. I was thrilled at the prospect of seeing them again! I was only able to catch one more dolphin sighting, before it was time to say goodbye to Maryland, but their contribution to the trip, made it memorable.
© Copyright 2008 Jewel (jeforrest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435425-An-Oceanside-Escape