*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436271-The-Blue-Moon-Arises
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1436271
Chapter 1 of the thrilling fantasy novel about the mysterious powers of the blue moon.
Melinda stared out through her open window; she could feel the cool breeze brush against her warm face and golden curls. She could hear the ocean; the waves heaving like an angry bull. The huge waves rocked back and forth; back and forth continuously. The foam created from the enveloping waves drifted onto the blue sea; floating about like a leaf caught in an updraft, controlled by the pungent winds. The foam glided upon the translucent droplets of the sea, gradually making its way towards the comforting bay where the heated sand could be heard calling out. It slowly reached the water covering the sand and suddenly became embodied; the foam had seemed to instantly become lustful and yearning like a school girl. It rapidly made its way towards the bay before finally reaching its destination and crashing roughly onto the sand. The sand and foam seemed to unite at once. They tumbled with each other like two passionate lovers caught in a sea of love and ardour. They continued to roll for what seemed like hours before finally resting. The scene had become quiet once more; the foam had been enveloped by the sea and the sand lay motionless once more. The only change that had occurred was the bleak clouds that seemed to be racing to block out the sun.

Melinda sighed deeply and stared out through the window. She continued to watch the waves as they began to slowly dissipate with time; they rolled gently into the bay and washed back out to the inevitably large sea. The once luminous sun had nearly set; the half-sphere of molten fire hovered lower and lower.
 
When the sun had finally set Melinda looked out towards the night sky. She could no longer see the waves, but could hear their soft caressing collisions with the bay. Melinda lay down on her small decrepit wooden bed and listened intently for the soft screeching of the owls. When she heard the high-pitched screech of the nocturnal nigh she knew that it was time. She grabbed her overgrown fur coat, wrapped it tightly around her shoulders and headed out into the cold winter night.

As soon as Melinda stepped out into the cold breeze of the pitch-dark night her stomach grumbled with excitement. She walked for hours trudging through the sludge and mud, walking inaudibly to her destination; the large hill-top that blocked her house from the incessant noise of the city. When she reached the hill that had become so accustomed to her gaze she stared at it for several minutes before embarking on the tedious ascent. Melinda walked slowly towards the foot of the hill-top and grabbed onto the slippery rocks that covered it. She began climbing her way to the distantly high summit, and in less than 10 minutes was nearly up to the peak.

Just before Melinda climbed the last rock to her goal she stopped and steadied herself; she wanted to be prepared for the sight that she had longed to see. Finally when her breathing had slowed down and her muscles had relaxed she pushed herself up onto the flat summit of the hill-top and faced her house. Her breathing had slowed completely now and her face looked calm and collected; but Melinda knew that this would soon change. She closed her eyes and stood firmly on the flat surface beneath her. She took a large step backwards and slowly began to revolve to face the city. When Melinda had finished turning she took in a large breath of the cold night air and opened her eyes. Suddenly her pulse began to quicken and her heart began to race; her eyes had seemed to glaze over. The magnificent sight that she had seen had entranced and awed her like an omnipresent being; the moon had arisen.

The bluish globe pierced the darkness of the night; the intermittent light shined down upon the creatures of the night. Melinda slowly lowered herself to the ground but did not remove her gaze from the hypnotic gleam of the moon. As she stared at the magnificent globe of reflection she could feel her large fur-coat slipping past her shoulders. She could feel its furry surface brush against her skin as it slowly slipped down off her shoulders and down near her waist. When she finally decided to pick up her coat she turned away from the moon to find her coat lying down by her waist. She picked it up hurriedly, only now realising the freezing night air against her body. She tightened the fur coat snugly around her body. But the coat felt numb against her cold skin and she began to shiver under the icy night sky. She tried to ignore her growing irritation and stared back up at the moon. As if in an instance her eyes had glazed over once more; her body under the spell of the mysterious moon. Her body seemed to warm instantly, now radiating deeply with the intensity of the moon. She could feel the tiredness of her mind and body that screamed to her to sleep, but the moon’s overshadowing power held her down. Time slowly passed by as the moon started to rock gently. Melinda followed the moon’s movements, swaying her head back and forth. She lay down slowly and gently, comforted by the moon’s rocking sways. As she finally hit the hard ground to sleep she curled into a tight little ball and continued to rock with the moon; comforted by its gaze, warmed by its presence. She gradually began to slow her rocking down until finally stopping. Melinda lay there freely and openly under the night sky; under the arisen blue moon.
© Copyright 2008 Fabrice (fab_wilmann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436271-The-Blue-Moon-Arises