*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436913-Victorian-Introduction
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Teen · #1436913
Two girls go through the ages of 13-19 experiencing life in Victorian house.
There is an old Victorian house around the corner from where I live. Tucked behind an overgrowth of weeds, massive bushes, and several oak trees, no one knows it is there but my friend, Ashley and I. At least, we think so. We came across it accidentally about six years ago when my cat, Pixie, got out of my house and we chased after her down the street and into some woods, trapping her against a wall of the abandoned home. Amazed that such a massive place such as this house was not seen by anyone else was beyond me, but this house was gorgeous. It was not a mansion or anything; it was just a two-story, pale blue home with circular windows and a tower that looked as if someone had stuck it on the side of the house. It looked out of place, and then again, it didn’t. The walk up to the house had exactly twelve steps to the front porch, and the opening to get to the front door was circular like the windows. It was an odd looking thing because this opening looked more like a spider web and if you were to walk any further, you would be snatched up by the lurking spider waiting for its prey. Vines had engulfed the house and some even broke the windows to continue their growth. It was a marvelous house and I fell in love with it immediately because there was such a genuinely beautiful mystery behind it all that it had pulled me in.
Wanting to see more, I tried to open the front door, and of course, it was locked. It was probably dangerous on the inside too because the old place looked as if it had not been touched in thirty years.
Later that week Ashley and I went back and managed to get inside. People had been in the house before because there was an old, torn up mattress and too many beer cans to count.

“Hobos?” asked Ashley, kicking a few cans with her feet as we walked around. I shrugged my shoulders.

This place needed a good cleaning because it was filthy and the hardwood floors were black as if someone had set it on fire. Another thing was the staleness in the air.

You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a dead body upstairs too,” I laughed, thinking about what I had just said.

“We should go check!” said Ashley, quickly heading for the narrow staircase.

“What are you doing? You don’t know if those stairs can hold you,” I said.

Ashley looked back at me and then at the staircase for a moment.

“I’m going up there anyway. I don’t care if I fall through the stairs,” she said defiantly.

I shook my head. “Whatever. They’re your legs.”

With careful steps, Ashley began walking up the stairs. Loud creaks came about every time Ashley would lift her foot on to the next step. Surprisingly, she got to the top, even though I knew she would.

“Come on! I’m not discovering the unknown up here without you, Kit,” Ashley said, crossing her arms.

“There is no way I’m going up those stairs. I am like an anvil compared to you, Ashley. You are like, a feather or something—nothing but air.” I said, looking down at my feet self-consciously.

“Oh, please. Kit, come on. Get up here and quit whining. The excuses are not helping ya any,” she said, her brown curls falling in her face.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. “If I fall through these stairs, man, you’re dead. I won’t let you borrow that t-shirt of mine you always like to wear.” I put my foot down on the first step.

“Ah, that’s harsh. I love that purple penguin t-shirt,” Ashley said, sitting down on the last step with her legs crossed.

I grasped the dusty railing as I went up further. The creaking was so loud and it seemed to rumble the old house every time I took a step. I swear I was going to fall through.

“This is insane. We are insane to venture through this place,” I said hastily.

At last, I reached the top.

“Wait, let me look at you. Huh, no blood or nothing and you didn’t fall through the stairs and I can still borrow that t-shirt. Good!” Ashley cheered, standing up and brushing herself off.

We walked around the curved wooden banister and into a large room that was triangular shaped, with doors at the far end next to each other.

“Holy shit!” Ashley whispered. I looked at her with surprise. I have never heard her swear before since I’ve known her, I mean, we’re only thirteen.

“What?”

Ashley turned to me and said, “This can be our hangout spot. Just this area and nothing else--not even the rooms.”

And for the next six years, that’s exactly what it became.
If only we knew what was ahead of us that would make this house a place to remember.







© Copyright 2008 TheMovieChannel (acute_disaster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436913-Victorian-Introduction