*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438604-Drug-The-Beginning-Of-A--New-Start
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #1438604
The story of a girl and her heroin addiction.
A wave of nausea swept over me as I waited in the waiting room, getting ready to be emitted into the rehab clinic because I was addicted to heroin. My mother grabbed my hand and held it tightly, not wanting me to leave her for the next three months, but she knew it was the best thing for me. I knew it too. I’m only fifteen and if I go any farther with the drugs, I’m pretty sure I’m going to lose my life.

Why I turned to heroin, I’m not sure. I think maybe it was an escape for me, because my father ditched my mother two years ago. And she is struggling to help maintain the bills and taking care of me and my younger sister. I got the drug from a couple of high schoolers at an abandoned park.


It wasn’t soon after they got busted by some cops and thrown in jail. Luckily, they kept their mouth shut about me getting involved. Though it was my sister who found the needle under my bed. How she found it, I don’t know. I hid it in a pretty good place tucked up in the springs inside the bottom of my mattress. My mom was infuriated with me.

"You have hopes and dreams, June! Why would you want to throw them way on this!" she yelled, waving the needle around in the air. "Dammit, June!"

I fell silent. She was right. How could I?

And now here I am. Sitting in this clinic, with a sick stomach and a very nervous mother. I knew this day would come eventually. The room had a burning stench of bleach and perfume. The room was bright and too white, and the only way to relieve my eyes were to close them. I hated this place already.

“Ms. June Caldwell?” asked a nurse who popped her head in the waiting room through the two, white, double doors across from us.

I looked at my mother who let go of my hand immediately as the lady looked at her.

My mother smiled insincerely, embarrassed that her daughter was a drug abuser.

The nurse then glanced over at me and smiled a gentle smile. It was heart-warming.

“Hello. Follow me, please,” she said, as she led me down the corridor of white medical doors.

I followed her and looked back at the waiting room behind me.
My mother was gone, and now I’m on my own in this dreadful place.
For the next three months, this is going to be interesting.
© Copyright 2008 TheMovieChannel (acute_disaster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438604-Drug-The-Beginning-Of-A--New-Start