*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438793-Out-for-a-drink-with-the-girls
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1438793
This a first draft (again) I am experementing with a totally different style of writing.
Out for a drink with the girls.



We’re all a bit loud, a bit feisty. The evening is going really well. We’re laughing and jostling around. It’s my turn to get a round of drinks, so I go up to the bar to get ‘em in. I wait. I try to get the barman’s attention but he’s talking to some one.
Eventually he comes over and I give him my order, I look around while I wait. Watch some jukebox. He comes back with my drinks and I notice one extra.
I tell him that I didn’t order the extra drink and ask if he made a mistake. He says he didn’t that the ‘pretty girl with the short hair’ ordered it.
I pause……..
I ask who did she order it for? Looking over at my friends, wondering which one was the lucky girl tonight. I sigh with a grin.
“You.” I hear the barman say matter of factly.          
I spin round to ask him to repeat himself.
He’s already off to serve the other waiting pubbers.
I meander off back to my waiting buddies, who are laughing and guffawing as they receive their eagerly awaited drinks.  One of my mates notices the pensive look on my face and asks me what the matter is.
I tell her nothings the matter, I giggle as I explain.
“I’m just confused as to why a girl I don’t know bought me a drink” She looks at me incredulously saying that she still can’t understand just how I don’t see what everyone else clearly does!
Gives me a hug and sends me back to the bar for some crisps, patting my butt as I go.
I take my ‘free’ drink with me and make my way back to the bar.
While waiting for the barman to once again finish with his conversation as well as serving all and sundry. I find myself thinking about what my mystery woman could look like. And judging by the way the pub was seething with people tonight, wondering if I would actually see her. Not that I knew what she looks like!?
I let my mind wonder to pleasant places.
I feel a nudge at my arm and try my best to squeeze over to accommodate yet another body at the bar.
The barman snaps his fingers in front of my face to get my attention, saying something about me being miles away and what did I want.
Oh right, yea, crisps.
Flavour? Ummmm prawn cocktail please.
I stand there still lost in thought, pondering what my evening could be like. If only I knew just who sent me that drink.
Crisps land on the bar in front of me with an instruction of “40p please”. Snapping me out of my reverie. I drop the correct coins into the waiting hand and turn to go back to my crowd.
I’m not really paying attention to the crush of warm bodies as I wind my way back to my seat and familiar faces. So I don’t see the lithe, exotically scented body I walk into until I feel the cold wetness of their drink spill down my front. Ooops! “Oh sorry,”
I yell out.
“I am sooo sorry. I really do need to watch just where I am going.”
I say to the face I really haven’t looked at. I feel all flustered. Trust me to walk right into some one because I’m caught up in ‘what might have been or could be’
“Really, that’s ok, are you very damp?”
I hear a soft voice reply.
I look up, I actually meet the eyes of the speaker. They’re green. I smile and say.
“Damp?”
I hear her say.
“Yes damp, your wearing my drink?” she giggled. I just stand there for a second or two, grinning.
“Oh yes, your drink what was it and I’ll get you another” I speak without taking my eyes off of hers. We go back towards the bar.
I ask her what she wants to drink, she says spiced rum and coke. Good choice I declare trying to get the barman’s attention. But wanting him to take his time as well.
He comes over and I hardly notice him saying something about me finding her ok. Excuse me? I say, finally breaking eye contact with her. Oh god I haven’t even asked her her name yet. The barman repeats that he is glad I found the girl who bought me that drink. He winks and walks away.
I turn to my mystery girl and say.
“That was you?”  I am beaming from ear to ear like the Cheshire cat.
“Abby” She says “Abby is my name and I hope you didn’t mind me buying you a drink?”
I stare at her, the bar is so packed that we are touching. I smile. I lean over to her. I place my hand gently on her soft, smooth, warm cheek. I kiss her deeply and longingly. There at the bar.
I pull back. Still smiling. Time has stopped.
I say, “No I didn’t mind at all.”
© Copyright 2008 Ezri_Pheonix (ezri_pheonix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438793-Out-for-a-drink-with-the-girls