*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1439544-The-Unvarnished-Truth-About-Me
Rated: ASR · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1439544
A brief bio - of sorts
THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH ABOUT ME (or all you ever wanted to know about Kay Jordan but were afraid to ask because of her propensity for smart-ass answers.)

First and foremost, I hate when people refer to themselves in the third person. *Up*
I am making an exception in this case – just this one time.

1. My real name is Kimberly Kay – hence, the Kay part of my pen name. No, Jordan is not my last name, it’s my son’s first name and I’ve always loved that name. He goes by his middle name – so I took the liberty of stealing his first name.

2. Wait, I meant to say, I am honoring my son by using his first name as part of my pen name – yeah, that’s right.

3. I was born back when God was a boy--December of 1957.

4. I am a Texan—born and bred. I was born in a little tiny town in the Panhandle and have lived all over Texas – Hereford, Dimmitt, and Amarillo, Odessa, Angleton, Lake Jackson, and Pasadena— well, maybe not all over. Mainly in the Panhandle, West Texas and now in the Houston area, where I have lived for the past 20+ years.

5. I married my high school sweetheart and we have been married for 31 years; 3 of those years have been really happy ones - okay, that's a slight exxageration, exaggeration, I tend toward sarcasm as well as exxageration. exaggeration. It really depends on what day you ask me as to what answer you'll get on how many of those 31 years have been happy ones.

5a. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who can't spell. As you may have noticed (see #5,) there are a couple of words that trip me up (and it appears that both of them are 'exaggeration.' How lucky is that?) Maybe I should rethink that pet peeve concerning bad spellers. Mad props to JACE - House Targaryen for catching that misspelling in #5.

6. I’m very stubborn. *See # 5

7. I have four children, 2 girls and 2 boys.

8. I have three gorgeous grandchildren, 2 boys and 1 girl, and have one more on the way—we don’t know yet if it’s a boy or a girl. **UPDATE: He's here - he's a BOY!**

9. No pets – but my eldest son’s horse (okay, he’s a Chocolate Lab) lives with me at present. **ANOTHER UPDATE: The horse is gone now, back home with my son. I swear I swept up enough dog hair to make ten other dogs while he lived here.**

10. I’m a night-owl by nature. My husband is not. This has been a bone of contention between us for 31 years. See # 6

11. I’m not afraid of anything except failure. And one other thing now that I've lived through a hurricane--loss of electricity.

12. I love to read and read and read. But even more than that, I love to write.

13. My favorite authors are John Sandford (I love his style), Anita Shreve and all of my faves on WDC.

14. I’m a Christian with a very strong faith—although I was the Prodigal Daughter for a while - seven years to be exact, but who's counting, right?

15. I’m a perfect size 6, but I keep it covered in a layer of fat so it won’t get scratched.

16. I’m a creature of habit, BUT I love learning new things.

17. I don’t smoke, never have, but got enough second-hand smoke from both parents when I was growing up to make lung damage a real possibility, I'm sure.

18. I rarely drink anything alcoholic anymore, but there was a time when I drank like a fish (Prodigal Daughter time) and bourbon was (and still is, when I have a drink) my drink of choice.

19. I have a very twisted sense of humor; I try to keep it under control but don’t always succeed.

20. I am writing a book—a memoir—which I am about one-third of the way through. I am also planning to co-write a series of chick-lit mysteries with my best-friend (and editor) as soon as both of us finish our current projects. UPDATE: I wrote the first one in the chick-lit mystery series; it was my Nano project. Woo hoo!!


Likes and Dislikes

1. Starbuck’s Java Chip Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce is the bomb!

2. I hate to sweat, which makes it a little tricky living in Houston.

3. Laughter is my favorite past-time.

4. My favorite hobby is to do nothing and then rest afterward.

5. I hate being told what to do – I was born a rebel.

6. I’m a computer geek.

7. I love taking pictures – black and white is my favorite medium. I own more cameras than I will ever admit to and that is still the first thing I look at when I enter an electronics store.

8. I like to talk. It has been said that I enter a room mouth first.

9. I have my best ideas at around 10 pm.

10.I’m very creative; scrapbooking is one of my favorite expressions of that creativity.

11. I love to win. I’m extremely competitive.

12. I love to travel, but I hate to pack and unpack—yuck!

13 .I used to love to fly—now, not so much, it’s a pain in the ass.

14. I hate long car trips.

15. I would love to be able to say “Beam me up, Scottie,” and then have Scottie beam me down wherever I want to go.

16. I hate housework, but I love a clean house—it’s a conundrum.

17. I love spending time alone with just me. It rarely happens.

18. I love any and all new electronic gadgets.

19. I hate rude people in traffic. Well, anywhere, for that matter.

20. I love to shoot my 22 pistol and I’m a damn good shot.

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask, although I think I’ve covered just about everything. See # 8


© Copyright 2008 Kim Ashby (kayjordan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1439544-The-Unvarnished-Truth-About-Me