*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440867-Untitled
Rated: E · Novel · Drama · #1440867
Part of a story I'm working on.
Setting:
1680’s
Romania, Europe
Beginning: Winter
Notes: Romania has hills, as seen on globe. The theme is dark, not happy. =)
Disclaimer: None of this even really happen. No history shows record of the Bulgarians attacking Romania and killing wolves. Please realize this is fiction.
Humans are hunting down the ‘witches’ and ‘wizards’, and the humans being blamed must escape. When a teen boy runs away for the sake of his life, meeting the wolves wasn’t part of the plan. Not make things worse, the crows follow suite, and the humans thing the boy has something to do with the cause of the drought and dying livestock. The boy must run, flee, or fight. The dark times in the Romanian meadows and hills are beginning to affect people, and they are running from the invasion of a plague they believe is coming in. When the leader’s of a hunt for the boy explain they think the plague coming is due to the living of the boy, everyone is out to get him. The wolves are blamed for the death of the people attacking the boy, and when the death of the boy comes, and plague is still on. The wolves are the target now, fleeing for their life as the humans chase after with weapons. Sadly, the humans don’t realize the birds cause this disease. When the wolf’s population numbers are hitting a rock bottom, the wolves have nearly escaped the Romanian land. But the word spread to the neighboring Hungary, and their is no hope for the wolves now.

Wolves:
*Kane-Adult Male Wolf, Alphen, mate to Audria.
*Audria-Adult Female Wolf, Alphena, mate to Kane, sister to Sayrui.
*Sayrui-Adult Female Wolf, Beta, sister to Audria.
*Tervuren-Adult Male Wolf, Lead Hunter.
*Hakari-Adult Female Wolf, Elder.
*Kaede-Pup Female Wolf, Alphena’s daughter, sibling to Sian.
*Sian-Pup Female Wolf, Alphena’s son, sibling to Kaede.
*Rayne-Adult Male Wolf, Omegen.


Words/Ends:
-en instead of ‘a’ means it’s male.
Ex: Alphen instead of alpha. Alphen means male Alpha.
-ena instead of ‘a’ means it’s female.
Ex: Alphena instead of Alpha. Alphena means female Alpha.
-ress instead of ‘er’ means female.
Ex: Huntress instead of hunter. Huntress means female hunter.
Ranks:
Alpha-Leader of the Pack
Beta-Second-in-command
Delta-Respected wolf, lower than beta, but able to order around hunters and omegas. Normally Whelp-sitter.
Lead Hunter/Huntress: The lead wolves of hunting, lead out the pack and follows and tracts down the scents for the pack. The lead hunters are respected.
Hunter/Huntress: The hunters that follow the lead hunters and confirm their ideas. Hunters are respected,.
Alpha’s Whelps: The pups of the alpha pair, next in line for the spot according to order of birth.
Whelp: Regular pup.
Omegen/Omegess: Lowest rank, only reason they are in the pack is so they can live and eat with shelter. Picked apoun, not respected.





Chapter One
The Lookout Post







The breeze rustled the calm scenery, the quiet of the night broke only by the crickets. Tree stood tall, their branches arched over the terrain like arms. The willow’s branches hung low, like old trees, bark peeling. Oaks held home to birds, holes in their hollow center’s a place for a nest with egg warmly comforted by their mother. The night was dark, the moon hidden behind the ambush of clouds. Stars slightly gleaming in the dark horizon, their reflections showing nowhere in the scenario. The bushes rustled, the beginning of winter well on it’s way, the fall breezes slowly ending. The days where long, and the animals hid form the humans arousing in their land. Indians, and villages, who all though the land was theirs. The elk grazed all day in the lush meadows, only to find their family member hunted the next day. Tracks form animals such as bear, wolves, foxes, and wild cats, left the humans wondering where the creatures headed next. The rabbits scurried along, snacks for the people, and the birds fluttered about, annoying the humans.
A long shadow that was created by the light from the half showing moon was cast from a tall hill. A large, tall shadow elongated from the hill. A tower, partially crumbled on it’s side, stood on the top of the mountain. No other building, just a tall tower. The humans called it a ‘lookout post’, yet no one ever entered it, and it was there longer than humans or animals that thrived in the Romania meadows could remember. The bricks that it was created from sat by it’s base, and ivy grew around the tower with an eerie feel. The melancholy vibe from the tower reminded no one, not even birds, to enter the dark depths that held a presence.
Of course, no one believed in magic in that tower, even though it was 1680, and the humans hunted the witches violently. The witches sidekicks, the humans believed, was wolves, at least in Romania. Crows, too, helped the witches in their cast to escape, but the humans didn’t understand that they didn’t exist. The cry from a crow would lead the dogs and horses to find a human, sick, or hurt, and kill them. The violent act was cruel, and many didn’t believe it should be done, but it was.
The air was brisk and shocking to a breath, and it held the cold along with eerie feeling of loneliness as the silence was kept. The winds were low and they were bond to pick up soon, but the cool breezes barely pushed along the bushes and trees. The presence of a human was lurking in the shadows, sighing with relief he had escaped the hounds. He panted, breathing quickly, gasping, and hoping for rain or any water. The small puddle of dew that lay on the patches of grass would suffice. He leaned down, picked blade after blade of wet grass. He placed them slowly in his mouth, enjoying the slightest bit of water. He looked around, scared, his blue eyes searching. He knew he was to blame for all that had happened in the village, be her tried not to remember coming so close to being hung. The plague that is spreading was blamed on the boy, because is the boy lived, the town’s people believe all will die.
A shadow, long and oddly shaped, cast over the grass the boy was reaching for. The boy looked up, slowly realizing the frame of the shadow. The boy was only fifteen, and had never seen one up close. He blinked, afraid, and backed up slightly, only to find a tree trunk on his way. Mouth ajar, he gasped, staring into the cold eyes of the creature..
It let out a growl, rumbling up the animals throat, and out past his ivory fangs. It padded a foot closer to the boy, body rolling with the movement. It’s tongue lolled out form the side of his muzzle, his ears perked. The boy coughed, and the animals ears swiveled, all attention on the boy. Closer it came, steady, not ready to attack.
The wolf snarled again, and the boy slowly slide down. Curling up into a ball at the base of the tree. He rocked back and forth, whispering to himself sadly, looking up at the wolf every one in a while.
1
The wolf sniffed at the boy curiously, tail waving behind his rump involuntarily. The boy, who had long
legs, and was very tall, looked uncomfortable in the position he chose. He tried to readjust, slowly moving as to not startle and wolf. The boy’s messing black hair flopped over his face, and he swiftly moved his bony hand to clear the bangs form his face. The rapid motion made the wolf snarl, lips curling back. The boy cocked his head, studying the wolf. It didn’t try to hurt him, just scare him.
The snarl stayed the same in the wolf’s throat, but his pools of golden that reflected the boy’s image showed pain and loneliness. The boy leaned forward, and snarled back. The wolf stepped backwards, tail tucked slightly under. The boy snickered, and attempted to hold out his hand to the wolf. It shied, and waited ten feet back from the boy. The time ticked on, and the boy traced his name in the dirt, spelling it out slowly in huge letters: “J-E-S-S-I-E” The wolf sat there, watching the swift motion of the boy’s hand. Jessie looked up, and smiled at the wolf, waiting for the sun to rise.

Jessie watched the clouds slowly moved for what seemed like forever, and as for the time, he wasn’t sure. When the horizon gleamed, he smiled again, though he was dirty and tired. He didn’t sleep, just tried to get the wolf closer. He sighed, his eyes fluttering. The sun was nearly up, and he watched with a sad feeling as huge gray clouds engulfed the sky. He let out a groan, and felt the drizzle. He looked up, and realized he was sitting under a tree with thin branches and barely no leaves. Why would he care, though? He was already dirty and on the run.
The wolf was still there, his gray and brown coat dull and messy. He let out a whimper as the rain started harder, but didn’t move. As long as Jessie sat, the wolf sat. Jessie refused to talk, but he knew the wolf wouldn’t understand him, anyways. Jessie got bored as the rain went on, and he sat, and sat; and sat more. He waited through the thunder and lightning, hoping the tree he sat under wouldn’t get hit. He was cursing to himself as he glared over the scenery, now a little afraid of the wolf that just stared blankly at the human, slightly, Jessie guessed, in awe.
As the rain slowed, Jessie began to stand, his clothes mud covered, face dirty, and hair; a rat’s nest. The wolf was soaked. More soaked than after taking a bath. His fur clung to his frame, and he lowered his tongue to ‘clean’ himself. He licked his body, and Jessie laughed. Does he not notice he’s getting himself more wet? He though, shaking his head. Jessie knew he should leave now, not stay behind and wait for the village to come after him, but he could leave the wolf. He felt a bond, and he realized how stupid that sounded, but he didn’t care, because he watched the wolf with amazement. After a few moments, the wolf stood, slowly walking to where Jessie stood. At 5’7, Jessie looked down that the wolf. The wolf’s shoulder must be the height of 2 feet, and his ears must have been at about 3’5.
The wolf was obliviously a gray wolf, male, with golden eyes. His body was small and lean, thin and great for speed. His undercoat was black, layered by gray. His head has mainly gray, with a brown muzzle and brown ears. His neck was gray, and so was his back and tail, but the tip of his tail was a brown, and so were his paws.
The wolf walked closer to the boy, and Jessie turned, and walked away from the tree, and away from the village. After about twenty feet, he looked behind him. The wolf followed his, staying about five feet back. Jessie shook his head, and continued. It’s not like he knew were he was going, he was just; going.
A long walk for what felt like two miles or more, Jessie stopped, and the wolf trotted playfully up next to him. Jessie breathed in, tired, and looked down at the animal. Jessie gestured for the wolf to go ahead, and the wolf trotted forward, around a bend, and out of site. Jessie was about to yell out, but then held it in, and followed the path at a slow jog. The wolf kept going, getting faster as he spotted the boy following. Soon, Jessie broke out in a flat out run, chasing the wolf, trying to keep up.
The wolf left the boy behind, and trotted now along the Cliffside, coming up to the top of the hill. Jessie took a few minutes, and when he reached the top, he stopped. He watched as the wolf slowly walked towards a crumbled tower. What made it scarier was that the gloomy clouds still covered the sky, and a slight drizzle lay over the area. The wolf stopped before the tall, wide tower. It was huge when you were closer. Writing, in some weird language, was engraved in the side. Figures, it’s always something I don’t know how to read! Though Jessie again, and he walked to were the wolf stood, running his long, bony figures in the groves.

2
The wolf let out a whimpered as Jessie sighed, and Jessie looked down surprised to hear a non-
hostile noise from the mammal. Jessie bend down, and slowly, he placed his hand on the back of the wolf and began to stroke it. The wolf whimpered again, then turned, and bit Jessie lightly. Jessie drew back, and fondled his hand. The wolf gave a sharp bark, and then bonded down the slope. Jessie sighed. Then, he finally yelled after the wolf, “What was all this for?”
Jessie ambled along behind the trotting wolf, after finally catching up with it. The wolf’s paws beat rhythmically on the dirt as Jessie pounded his bare feet. The body of the wolf swayed, and Jessie wanted to get down on all fours and follow, be he couldn’t keep up if he acted like a wolf. Jessie hopped forward, so he was walking with the wolf. He decided to talk to it.
“So, um, wolf. I’m Jessie. Just for the heck of it, I’m going to call you Kane.”
The wolf let out a whine, and sped up. “Come on, the name wasn’t that bad!” Jessie called after the animals, running gleefully to keep the wolf in sight.

The wolf had been about five minute ahead of Jessie, and when he rounded a bend, he came to a dell, where the grass was slightly overgrown, and it looked semi-happy. Dens were build in sides of a cove. Dens?! Jessie hopped down into the gully, and crouched down, looking into a cavern. He fell backwards as Kane emerged, followed by a pure white female wolf. Jessie sighed, and held out his hand for the wolves to sniff. The white wolf snarled, and glanced at Kane. Kane looked at Jessie, and then nudged his mate playfully. “Great, I gotta name her, too?” Jessie said to Kane, and the wolf gave him a blank stare. “Ahh, fine. Your lovely lady friend is Audria.” Kane whined again. “Fine, this is sad. I’m running away from my life, and naming wolves.” Jessie said, glaring at Kane. Audria scampered back into the cave. Kane followed, leaving Jessie still fallen over, sitting the muddy grass.
The two wolves emerged again, each carrying a whelp. Jessie moaned. “Look, I’m not a Wolf-Name-Maker.” He said lamely, but glanced at the pups with interest. “Let me see them.” He said, and the wolves did nothing. Jessie leaned forward, and studied the puppies. One was a boy, all black. The other, a girl, who looked like Kane. Jessie sat back, and thought. He remembered some odd names he had heard before, and he realized that they fit perfectly. “The boy, Sian. The girl, Kaede.” He stated.
Jessie knew he wasn’t like any other person of the 1680’s. He was more; advanced. He knew better grammar, better ways. That’s why he was targeted by the people as a wizard. As Jessie watched the puppies roam in the gully, Kane and Audria nuzzled, and Jessie sighed. He wished he wasn’t like this, running away with wolves, the witch’s ‘sidekicks’, as company. Not long later, a black, adult female wolf came form the cave next to the one Kane and his mate shared. The wolf nuzzled Audria, and licked her maw. Jessie assumed they were related. Rolling his eyes, he spoke. “Ah, now I have to name you. Gosh, this stinks. I only has a small imagination and attention span, you wolves!” He was joking, but he spoke to the new wolf happily. “Sayrui, you are the.. Sibling.....I’m guessing, of Audria.” Of course, they wolves didn’t understand their names, they just stood their, most likely laughing at the boy’s stupidity.

The pack slept in their dens that night, leaving Jessie outside. He curled up in the center of the meadow, and lay down his head. God, this was sadly pathetic. Kane came out, and nuzzled Jessie. Jessie began to stand, and Kane growled. “What?” Jessie asked, and Kane took his muzzle and tried to push Jessie so his belly was facing up. “What on Earth, you....” He trailed off. Kane snarled, and rolled Jessie over. Jessie felt stupid as he lay there, facing up, submitting to a wolf. Kane sniffed Jessie, then left him, all night, outside. After a few minutes when Kane left. Jessie returned to the ball he had curled up in. The night was cold, and Jessie shivered, but didn’t dare to enter the caves.
When dawn slowly approached, Jessie was awake. He barely slept, and the wolves remained silent most of the day. Jessie ran around, trying to find food and water. He realized half way through the day, that wolves were nocturnal in some places. He shook his head, barely believing his luck, or stupidity. Then, a snap, and a rabbit broke a twig as he scurried away from the daydreaming Jessie. Jessie swore, and walked away, just losing his meal. The best he could find was the remains from a elk of some sort, obviously the talented work of the pack. Jessie poked his finger into the red remains, and squealed as bugs crawled out. Birds began to feast on the grubs, and Jessie left. The sun was almost to the horizon, and he sighed when he heard a wolf stirring in the caves. Out pranced a pure grey wolf. Jessie stood,
3

mouth slightly hanging open. Another one? How many were there?
Jessie took a deep breathe, let it out, and spoke to the new male wolf. “You have cursed me, my friends. Cursed me.”
He finished as Kane walked out from the den, and whined at the new wolf. The wolf
braked back, and bounded off into the forest. The night fell quickly, and Jessie sat on the ground,
watching Kane groom himself, and scurry around for some food. The new grey wolf returned, dragging along a rabbit. Jessie hurried towards the food, but Kane snapped at him. Jessie backed away, and watched Kane eat. Audria came out with the pups, who could eat meat now. They ate almost the whole things, leaving some for Sayrui. After she ate, a little remained. Jessie crawled forward, but the new wolf came in front of him. “Mmk, I’m naming you. Then can I eat?” He asked. “Your name is Tervuren, to me.” Tervuren turned his head, but ate up the remains of the rabbit. By the time Jessie crawled to it, all that was left was the head. He nearly vomited, and even though he was starving, he wouldn’t eat it.

The adult wolves sat together some laying down, some grooming the others. The puppies roaming the gully. Jessie walked up, and the wolves growled, He got down on all fours, and Audria licked his back, and began to groom his. He nuzzled her with his hand, and Kane leapt up. Jessie back up, and Kane settled down. The sun began to fade again, the day quickly gone. Jessie sighed, and stood up. He had to leave. As tried to stumble away, over small rocks and plants, Kane and Tervuren rushed up behind him. The wolves leap in front of the boy, snarling, and leading him backwards. “Look, wolves, I’m not an elk.” he said, smiling. He attempted to get around the wolves, but they fought back, snarling, yipping, and biting the boy. Jessie threw up his hands, and walked back to the circle of wolves crouched, watching the play of the two males. Jessie came and curled up next to Audria, and she licked him playfully. It wasn’t long before Jessie found himself asleep.
Jessie opened his eyes, and groaned as he tried to locate the source of the bouncing pain in his side. He rolled over, and Kaede and Sian slipped off his back. Jessie shook his head, sighing, and patted the wolf pups carefully. They scampered off. The wolf pack was all relaxed, tired, perhaps. They fell asleep together, out in the meadow in a fresh, cool night. Nothing woke them, like the sounds of crickets or birds. Jessie’s constant movement kept Audria wiggling in her sleep. The puppies finally came and took refuge in the crest between Audria’s stomach and the back of Kane.

Feeling lost, Jessie watched the wolves gather standing up, Kane raising his long, brown muzzle, and howl. The other wolves joined in, but Jessie sat there idly, confused. The wolves then bounded off, obliviously in for a hunt. The puppies were left in a cave Jessie has never seen a wolf come out of. He stuck his head in, and crawled into the darkness, a fain light cast be the sun that was leaving over the horizon. A wolf lay there, tired, and old. Next to her, lay a male wolf, licking her side. The puppies bounded about the cave, playing with it’s sibling. Jessie crawled down on all fours, and reached up to the two wolves. The male was young, but small, and you could see his ribs terribly. The female, weak, thin, and had many cuts, and coughed as she breathed in. Jessie felt bad, and sat cross-legged as he watched the two wolves. After a while, he wrapped his brain for something to call them. The male had to be an omega, like Jessie was treated by Kane. “Hmmm.” he said, and the wolves turned their heads to the boy. “I got to name you, too. You, my fine friend, are Rayne. And you... My, um, elder one, are Hakari.” Hakari glared, and Jessie turned, crawling from the cave. Kaede followed, and Sian, following Kaede, turned around, but sadly, hit his small head on the rock wall. Rayne came forward, licking the small puppy.
Jessie didn’t realize Kaede was behind him until he was out of the cave and in the place where he slept with the rest of the pack. Kaede leapt in circles, and Jessie spoke to her. “No, girl. I’m to tired.” Kaede looked down at the ground sadly, but took right back up. Jessie turned his back to her. He could hear the wolves in the background, howling with glee. Kane trotted through the undergrowth first, followed by the rest of the pack. Jessie looked around franticly. “Where’s my food?” he asked. The wolves licked their chops, and Jessie stood up. He would have to get some himself. He walked forward, hoping Kane wouldn’t try to stop him. Why couldn’t he leave the pack? Kane followed Jessie, and as Jessie reached the meat, Kane stood back.
The boy reached the body, poking the meat. An old female elk. No good meat was left, just some
4

parts. He picked up a piece for God-knows-what, and placed in his mouth. Not only did it smell bad, it tasted bad. He coughed, and spit it bad out. Kane whimpered, and waited for Jessie to pick out something he would eat. Jessie walked back to the camp holding bloody elk remains, and sat down. He sniffed it, coughed again, and began to pick at it into small pieces. Slowly, he ate them, eating them large now. It wasn’t too bad, just; gross.

The days wore on, Jessie following the lead of the pack with a steadily act. He crawled on all fours mostly, but sometimes stood on his two legs. Eating was the worst part. He’d swollowed so many odd things, he was disgusted by it. When the pack sleep, Jessie wasn’t allowed in the cave with Kane, Audria, or the puppies. Tervuren guarded his dead with pleasure, growling at Jessie with distaste. Jessie crawled into Hakari and Rayne’s cave, and the wolves took him in.
Curling up into a corner, it was Jessie’s seventh day of being in the pack life. He hated it, but really had no choice. If he tried to run, day or night, Kane or another wolf found him. Kane just wouldn’t let Jessie leave. The wolves where slowly accepting him, and Jessie had no choice. It was better than dying. Jessie was dirty, clothing ripped, hair ruffled, mud and dried, caked dirt scattered on his body and face. The wolves managed to keep clean, but having no big lake to wash in, the only source of water Jessie even had was a small, about one foot by one foot pond.

The wolves howled and barked, snarling rising in their throats. Jessie woke, raising his head to see what the commotion was. As Jessie crawled form the now empty cave, he spotted it. In the corner of the meadow, the wolves closed in on a fox and his mate. The wolves obviously felt hostility towards the foxes, and Jessie watched as their fur on their hackles rose in anger. The wolves jaws opened, revealing ivory fangs, bared. The tails up, thick and fluffed. Jessie retreated, not understanding why they would feel hostility towards the harmless animals.






Chapter Two
Brutal Clash





Jessie watched in horror as Kane leapt forward, his strong hind legs propelling his muscular frame towards the male fox. The vixen retreated slightly, only to find Audria behind her. Kane lashed with his large paw at the fox, who jumped back, red and brown fur already showing blood through it. Kane snarled, ears flat against his head, poised again. The male fox jumped forward, attempting to land apoun the wolf’s back. With a flash of claws, Kane slashed the fox’s stomach. The fox landed on the ground, stumbling slightly, but keeping his balance. The fox’s fur was not bristled
© Copyright 2008 Laura Michelle (damage_me at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440867-Untitled