*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441830-Emilys-Window
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1441830
Weekend flash entry. 6/21/08 Prompt is romance/love.
It was raining when I reached Emily's house. I had biked ten miles in the middle of the night to get there. She was nineteen and still lived with her parents. Our relationship was a secret, and very painful.

Emily's window was on the side of the house, on the second floor. I reached into my bag for the pebbles I had collected. I tossed one at her window. When she didn't answer, I tossed another one. The window swung open.

She was beautiful, as always. She slept in a grey beater and purple silk pajama pants. Her hair was messy and she looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Stephanie! What are you doing?" Emily said in a loud whisper.

"I biked! I'm here to see you," I fumbled in my bag and pulled out a rose - they were her favorite. "Emily, I brought this."

"Stephanie, my mother is still awake - you can't be here!"

"It's okay, she won't know! Catch!" I threw the rose up to her. She missed, and caught it the second time.

"I'm sorry, you really can't stay here! I can't afford to get kicked out."

"I love you, Emily!"

"I love you, too. Bye, Stephanie," she closed the window.

I grabbed my bike from the tree and headed away as fast as I could. The rain had  stopped, and I was unsuccessfully blinking away tears. I had known that I would only see her for a minute, but wasn't prepared for her to send me away so quickly. I was crying so hard that breathing hurt.

I wanted to rescue her, to have her live with me. She wouldn't leave her family yet. I biked harder, trying to stop thinking. Loving Emily hurt, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.
© Copyright 2008 Heather (missheather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441830-Emilys-Window