*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1443114-The-Ghost
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1443114
Jerry faints when he sees Peter Hampton come through the doorway of the bar.
    Men clustered around the bar of the smoke-filled room.  Jerry looked up to see the lone figure of Pete Hampton in the doorway.
    "It can't be," Jerry said as he slumped to the floor.
    Marv who was sitting on the next stool, turned just in time to see Jerry hit the floor.
    "Hey," Marv called out.  "Jerry's fainted.:
    Jim, one of Jerry's friends, laughed.  "Probably too much booze.  He'll be all right."
    Marv's face reddened as he clenched his fists.  "He's not all right.  Come on now.  Help me get him up."
    Marv slapped Jerry on the face in an effort to rouse him.  "Come on, Jerry, wake up."
    As Jerry came to, he said, "It can't be.  Pete's dead.  I saw his truck take a spill down the embankment toward the river, crash and burn."
    "You're seeing things, Jerry."
    "No, that was Pete at the door.  I'd know his hulky body anywhere."  He pointed a weak finger toward the entrance.
    Marv turned to look in the direction Jerry pointed, but Pete wasn't there.  No one was.
    "I tell you, man, you're seeing things."
    Jerry passed out again.
    From behind him, Marv heard a deep bass voice say, "May I be of help here?"
    Marv looked up to see a tall husky man.
    "Marv?"  the man questioned.
    "It can't be.  Pete?  Pete Hampton?"
    "One and the same."
    "But, you're dead.  You died when your truck careened down that embankment at Hell's Canyon and into the river.
    "Oh, the truck went down all right, but I was thrown clear when it hit a rock."
    Jerry roused and rubbed his eyes.  "It can't be.  You're a ghost," he said to Pete.  "I saw...Pete's gone.  He's never coming back," he mumbled.
    "But, I'm here, Pete said.  I'm not going anywhere." 
© Copyright 2008 Carol A. LaCroix (alateacakes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1443114-The-Ghost