*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1444842-Toothpaste
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1444842
If ever we have ones in tubes, they are murdered.
Toothpaste

I have had tooth extractions before but nonetheless my teeth are still in good shape. I do not visit Dental Clinics every six months due to overlapping monetary priorities but at least I brush my teeth three times a day and use some mouthwash.

I know a person in her early 30’s who only have gums and gums! My mother had all her teeth removed because they are all shaking inside her mouth and it pains her so. At this time, the family had to eat overcooked vegetables almost melting in the mouth and meat piercing its weight from the bones.

When we were still young, each of us had his own toothbrush. But the same will not be changed till its bristles are very much worn out. Way too far from the constant practice of changing it every month.

My parents could afford six toothbrushes for each six child but not the toothpaste. Yes, life is difficult and we are lucky to have those in sachets. If ever we have ones in tubes, they are murdered. Tube slashed open wide till all its contents are scraped. Like a canned good licked-clean by a scavenge dog .

I remember when I was in a public elementary school, we used to have visitors from a Dental Mission. A project of the government rendering free dental services and giving free toothbrushes and toothpastes in all levels. Our teacher told us to bring toothpaste boxes as our entries for the raffle. Goodness I had none to bring! My father gave me an empty sachet. I took it so that my father will not be hurt. But I never brought it out in school. How should I write my name in a foil? I am ashamed.

But during this time, I see my mother brushing her teeth with salt. If not, she is chewing the young fruit or leaves of guava after meals. I was curious but I never asked why.

When her gums have healed from the extractions, I confronted her as if I am the mother. I told her that if she was just cautious and took a bit of care of her teeth, she might have saved some in time of the Christmas Eve’s Feast. “I chose to spare my teeth from those toothpaste so that you my children will consume it. I know and perceived this day will come and forever suffer for being toothless but your needs are more important than mine,” she answered.

I am tongue-tied. How can I accuse Mama for being devoid of dental hygiene where in fact all these years she had been sacrificing for our sake. She had been enduring every toothache or gum pain just to give us happy smiles.

I have plans to earn for her artificial teeth but before I can raise the needed amount, she already have one. She does not wear it all the time because she feels uncomfortable. For now, she lost some weight. Her appetite is taken away by her artificial teeth.

Now, every time I brush and squeeze the toothpaste tube, I will always cherish my mother’s sacrifices for us. I will remember that she will be chewing her food using her gums or the artificial teeth as long as she lives. Sometimes it makes me lonely and guilty, but it prevails that having her as a mother makes me more than lucky.


Author's Note:
Did the story seemed real? Well it is. My family's experience may be shameless but it is true.

© Copyright 2008 Princess Thinker (princesskimmy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1444842-Toothpaste