*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445809-Early-Spring-Bass-Fishing
Rated: E · Article · Sports · #1445809
Tactics for catching pre-spawn bass
Early spring, pre-spawn bass fishing can be the most rewarding, albeit most challenging bass fishing you will ever do.  Heavy rainfalls, cold frontal movements, and fluctuating barometric pressure tend to complicate the hunt for that trophy bass.  It takes patients and diligence, but the reward can be phenomenal.  Some of the biggest trophy bass have been landed in the early spring.

In the winter months, most of the bass population will hold to the deep, main-lake structures such as channels and drop-offs.  A bass has a body temperature the same as the water surrounding it, so during the winter they do not move around much, thus they require little food.  As the water warms, they will begin to be more active and their appetite slowly returns. 

Bass spawn in water that is between 65 and 70 degrees.  The best time for early trophies is before the water temperatures reach that level.  As the water warms, their instincts kick in and they will gradually start to move toward their spawning grounds.  Their movements, because of the gradual warming of the water, tend to be toward shallow waters while continuing to follow the submerged channels and contours of the lake bottom. 

The first few degrees of warm-up are crucial to monitor.  That will be the bass’ natural trigger to begin migration.  Bass pros have a term for their collective behavior this time of year.  They call it “staging”, which means that they are going through the stages toward spawning.  At times large numbers of bass will gather together in deeper areas close to likely spawning grounds.  They will be in deeper water that is directly alongside of a shallow cove or steep bank.  They have generally just travel a ways to get to the staging area, so they will be hungry and quick to hit a lure dropped in front of their nose. 

Crafty yet predictable in it’s instinctive movements, early spring bass are true fighters when hooked.  Give attention to banks and points near channels, and as the water temperatures rise, move to ever more shallow areas keeping near to the deep channels at first.  A good topographical map will aid you in finding those underwater bass highways and byways that can lead to such productive early spring angling. 

Live bait is typically not an option for the early spring angler.  When fishing along an edge or a wall a good suspending jerk bait will usually ignite a bass to bite.  A shaky-head worm on a ball-head jig will also do the trick nicely in these areas.  When working submerged trees or rock lines, a finesse jig with a color-coordinate bug or crawfish is a hit with the lunkers.  When getting in to the shallows nearer the spawning beds, a crankbait is sure to bring a keeper into your life.

There is a special thrill to catching that first trophy of the season that just can’t be matched.  Early spring fishing can start your year off right and lend a air of superiority to your angler’s ego.  Have fun.
© Copyright 2008 rev.wendy (rev.wendy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445809-Early-Spring-Bass-Fishing