*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445817-History-of-the-Game-of-Darts
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1445817
How we came to play darts.
The actual origin of the game of Darts is not recorded, so we must depend on speculation as to the birth of this much loved, high-competition sport.  It is generally believed that the game has it’s roots in the end of an ale barrel or log end in pubs across the beautiful English countryside.  Longbow archers of Medieval England, it is said, were told to practice everyday.  In an attempt to continue their practice, while enjoying the comfort of the local pub, the archers shortened some of their arrows and threw them at the bottom of an overturned wine or ale barrel.  When these barrels were in short supply, or to awkward to hang on the wall, an innovative darter brought a cross-cut of a log and began the evolution into what we know of as the dart board of today.

These original darters were thought to have carried their shortened arrows throughout the countryside to exhibit their skills and for entertainment.  The log cross sections provided scoring rings, and as they dried out further segmentation was achieved.  The progression of the dart board continued. 

It is reported that King Henry the VII was so taken by the game that Anne Boleyn gave him an ornately decorated set to gain his favor.  Another report suggests that Darts were a favorite pastime on the Mayflower’s voyage and enjoyed throughout the colonies during leisure time. There are recordings of Native American versions of the game.  Believed to have also derived from a necessity to practice the marksmanship needed for hunting.

It wasn’t until the early 1900’s that brewers began to realize the potential for the financial opportunities of the game.  The evolution continued through the 20th century with the formation of leagues and competitions for cash, as well as a standardization for the rules.  In the 1970’s, a set international throwing line was established at seven feet, nine and one quarter inches.  This aided in the realization of international competition.  And brought everyone to the same measure. 

The game has evolved into what we know today without extraordinary changes.  Subtle differences have occurred, the modern board for instance.  Cork will remain popular, but the bristle boards have acquired their own following.  And the ease of the electronic boards ensure they will remain in pubs and taverns worldwide.  The darts themselves have possibly seen the greatest changes.  While once nothing more than a shortened arrow they have evolved into a precision science created mostly with tungsten, which provides the weight for accuracy while eliminating the bulk of wood.  The 180 score, while once impossible to fit three darts into the treble twenty due to the size of the dart, are now not only possible, but happen regularly.  In 1984, there was the first televised perfect 501 game won with a  9-dart checkout.  Impressive, to say the least. 

So, the next time you are enjoying a friendly game at the local pub or the competitive spirit at moneyed tournament, raise your glass to the archers of old.  A toast to those who gave life to one of the greatest games and relaxing pastimes our world has ever known.  Cheers!
© Copyright 2008 rev.wendy (rev.wendy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445817-History-of-the-Game-of-Darts