*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447813-Elliot-Minor-Album-Review
Rated: E · Article · Music · #1447813
This is a review of Elliot Minor's album I did.
What do you get if you get McFly, put them in a bowl with Fall Out Boy and add a sprinkle of Harry Potter? Elliot Minor’s self-titled debut album, that’s what! A mixture of pop/punk that will have you head-banging for ages, beautiful piano-led rock that will bring a tear to your eye and the occasional dose of classical music that will calm you down after all that jumping up and down like a loony for no reason whatsoever, this album showcases the various talents and styles of this pop/punk five-piece that came out of the blue a year ago.

1. Time After Time

The album opens with a dose of Muse-style melodic rock in the form of Time After Time. One of the ‘hardest’ on the album, this is one of those songs where you dance about around the room like mad from start to finish. One of the best, for sure.

2. Parallel Worlds

The break-through debut single that was re-released before this is the second track. The ultimate rock chick/god karaoke/party anthem, this almost McFly-style pop/punk tune will have you on your feet jumping up and down/dancing around your bedroom like crazy, singing very loudly and banging your head from start to finish. I just recommend not putting this on late at night unless it’s Halloween/you want to freak yourself out…

3. The White One Is Evil

This is the musical version of all the spooky bits in Harry Potter. Verging on the edge of My Chemical Romance-style emo with loads of eerie violins and pianos, this is fit for a horror movie, especially if it involves a stalker, with the lyrics it’s got. I do love the classical solo bit, though…

4. The Liar Is You

Pass the tissues, pass the tissues! This is the first of a duo of piano-led ballads that are best listened to if there is a box of tissues nearby. With one of the best choruses I’ve heard in a long time, the lyrics will make you want to rip your heart out, whilst the tune will make you want to cry and cry untill you can’t cry anymore. Beautiful is the only way to describe it…

5. Lucky Star

Here is the second half of the ballad duo. Also beautifully sad, this is one of my favourite tracks, because it’s also very sweet and the piano is just breath-taking… I just can’t listen to it without feeling like I want to cry my eyes out!

6. Jessica

Fans of Jessica Alba, this is your anthem! Part of the soundtrack to my summer in 2007, this opens with the best drum solo I have ever come across in all my years of existence. Fall Out Boy-style pop/punk accompanied by the usual dose violins and a cello gets you jumping up and down screaming your head off about Jessica Alba, with some of her movies obviously being used to disguise what the boys are really after! Cheeky sods!

7. The Broken Minor

This is one of my big favourites. Sweet and lively, this is the song that sums everything I love about Elliot Minor - catchy lyrics, huge solos and a tune that, after two or three listens, becomes one of those that you will recognize instantly! Great work, guys!

8. Still Figuring Out

Ok, here comes the light-hearted McFly-style stuff! Cute, fun and addictive are the only words that are fit for a description of this song. It’s like the boys have been dunked into a bowl of sugar and then been told to write a tale of friendship… One of my major favourites!

9. Silently

Choirboys! This is a song that really shows off the vocal harmonies that the boys have - they really do sound like ex-choirboys! The piano is the best thing about this song - it’s nice and calming; a nice breath of fresh air in a song. Lovely.

10. Running Away

Here is another one of my major favourites. It’s yet another one that has McFly written all over it, but in a much more mature way… Fun and catchy, this is one that you can dance about in your bedroom over and over again! Love it.

11. Last Call To New York City

The album finishes on a sing-along track that reminds me a lot of Busted’s stuff from A Present for Everyone - please don’t let it just be me! Catchy, fun and with a fab chorus, I wish they’d release it!

So, overall, this is a brilliant album that you should be rushing out to buy if you like your pop/punk fun, cheeky and catchy. Good work, Elliot Minor!
© Copyright 2008 Lisa Michelle (lisalulu08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447813-Elliot-Minor-Album-Review