*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448642-The-Second-Great-War
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · War · #1448642
Hitler who is a soldier in the Austrian Army is killed. But Stalin wasn't.
700 hrs.
Hans put on his helmet and then loaded his Kar 98k rifle. No one in his company had ever seen combat before. They were apart of the German Wehrmacht. He was a Grenadier, the equivalent of a Lance Corporal. The Sdkfz 251 halftrack bumped, it was one of 10 in the convoy. At the front of the convoy were two Stug tanks. They were heading south, to try and stop the advancement of Italian Troops.
There were 6 people in the halftrack; Gerwulf Eichmann, Tall Lindmann, Jeffery Bachmeir, Hans Ungahire, Rudolf Hoch, and Markus Fiedler.
“I hear the Italians have very nice wine and once we’re in Rome I will pleasure myself to all the women and drinks I want,” said Gerwulf.
A sniper in our halftrack grinned and laughed.
“Well if General Rommel was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile from Benito... with a clean line of sight... Pack your bags, fellas. War's over,” he said.
“You’re too cocky, Lindmann” said Rudolf, an Obergrenadier in Hans squad.
“You just wait and see how many Guinea kills I get, and I’ll bet you’ll change your mind,” replied Lindmann.
Hans pulled out his canteen which had Vodka in it.
“What you drinking there Hans?” asked Rudolf.
“Vodka,” replied Hans.
“Hey Bachmeir, this guys drinking Ivan’s favorite!” said Rudolf.
Bachmeir looked tired and had his head leaning on the wall of the halftrack.
“So… I like Vodka, it’s a good drink.”
Rudolf shrugged. The Halftrack was quite now. Lindmann was sitting next to Hans and motioned him for some of the vodka. Hans handed him the canteen and Lindmann took a sip. He then handed it back to Hans. Hans put it away and then got a pack of smokes out.
“Hey this guy’s got smokes!” exclaimed Gerwulf.
There was a bustling in the halftrack of everyone asking to have one. He handed them out. The only one who didn’t want one was Markus. He was a shy guy and he rarely talked.
Hans pulled out matches and lit his cigarette. He then gave the matches to Gerwulf who handed them out to everyone. It was pretty cold out so it was a good feeling to have the heat of the cigarette flowing through his body.
It was night time and freezing and everyone had their coats on.
“It’s funny how France lost a fifth of their land in less than a month,” said Gerwulf.
“Yeah, the French are pussies,” Replied Lindmann.
Hans drifted into a sleep.
1400 hrs.

“Wake up,” said Rudolf shaking Hans.
“What?” asked Hans.
“We’ve reaching our destination, the driver told us,” replied Rudolf.
Hans took out his canteen and took a sip. The halftrack stopped. Lindmann then grabbed the canteen from him and took a gulp and then handed it back to him. Hans looked at him and frowned.
Someone banged on the door and a voice said “Come out.”
Bachmeir opened the door and climbed out. He stepped into snow. Everyone else climbed out with their equipment. Outside there were a line of tents and German and French soldiers. The other halftracks were there and the soldiers were piling out. A Feldwebel, the equivalent of a staff sergeant, was there.
“The Italian line is just south of our position, they are approaching with great numbers that consist mostly of conscripts, their only advantage is superior numbers that they have mostly been recruited from Africa. To the south is a large forest from which they are advancing. D company will reinforce French defensive positions there and hold the line. Restock supplies here. We will be moving out in 20 minutes, report to the halftrack you were just on.”
“Now the thing to remember, boys... flies cause disease, so keep yours closed!” said Gerwulf.
There was laughter among the group.
The Feldwebel shook his head smiling and pointed to a tent.
“That’s the armory, restock on ammunition there,” Said the Feldwebel.
The group walked towards the tent. At the entrance there was a French Soldier on guard. Gerwulf saluted sarcastically and everyone walked inside.
Inside there were 3 large tables that had ammunition for the Kar 98k and the MP 40. There were also blankets, matches, and MREs.
Everyone took supplies. Hans put another cigarette in his mouth and lit it. He grabbed Kar 98k ammo, even though he had enough. He also took a couple of MREs and a blanket and put them in his back pack. There was also French quarter master in there. Gerwulf walked over to him.
“Hey where’s the smokes?” asked Gerwulf.
“Je ne parle pas allemand,” said the French Soldier.
“Hey Rodulf you speak French what’s this guy saying?” said Gerwulf.
“I don’t speak French,” replied Rudolf a little bit annoyed.
More German soldiers came into the tent. Hans had all he needed so he walked back outside and went back to the halftrack. He leaned on the side of it and took out another cigarette. After about 15 minutes the Feldweber instructed everyone to go back to their halftracks.
Hans climbed into the halftrack as well as the rest of his comrades. The door closed by someone on the outside and a few moments later the halftrack started to move again.
“Hey Bachmeir, why do you get to have the MP 40?” asked Gerwulf.
“Because I’m more lethal than you,” he replied.
A few more minutes then the driver said to them, “We’re entering the front line, be ready.”
After a few more minutes the halftrack stopped and they all climbed out. They were in the forest. And there were fox holes with French soldiers in them. There were also machine gun nests a bit deeper in to the woods. They could see the 9 other halftracks stopping and troops pouring out of them.
The company Leutant, Mueller, walked over to them. He was well respected by the troops and fun to be around with.
“Hey boys,” he said.
“Hey leutant,” replied Rudolf.
“Guys I want you to start digging foxholes just in front of the French’s position, pair up into twos, and don’t stay close together. And Lindmann Hauptmann Ritter wants to see you, he’s at the CP tent about 100 meters down that way” Said the leutant pointing.
“Hans, your with me,” said Gerwulf.
Hans nodded.
“Bachmeir,” said Rudolf.
Markus looked a little sad, being left out from the group.
“Hey Markus,” said Hans, “Your with us.”
Markus grinned a little bit and walked over to Hans and Gerwulf. They walked about 20 feet away from the nearest French foxhole. They got out their shovels that had and started digging. About 10 feet away from Hans’ fox hole was another group of 2. It was Seiler and Vogt, members of D company.
“Hey Seiler!” said Gerwulf.
Seiler nodded and walked over.
“Whats going on?” asked Seiler.
“Well were just, uh, digging a hole in front of our French buddies!” said Gerwulf waving at the French behind them.
“You guys are lucky, me and Vogt have to carry around this MG42,” said Seiler.
“Well when 100 Guinea’s are running towards you, you won’t be cocking your gun every time you shoot,” said Gerwulf.
Seiler laughed.
“Hey Seiler, am I gonna have to dig this hole my self?!” yelled Vogt.
“Eh… well see you guys around,” said Seiler walking away.

After about ten minutes of digging they finished their hole. It was getting dark out.
“Hans go get some rocks,” said Gerwulf.
“Why?” replied Hans.
“Just do it,” said Gerwulf.
Gerwulf opened his back pack that he had on the ground and pulled out a blanket.
Hans came back with a couple of stones. Gerwulf stretched the blanket above the hole and then put the rocks on the edges so the blanket wouldn’t cave in.
“You see?” said Gerwulf.
Hans nodded.
They all got into the fox hole. Markus pulled out a gas powered stove and lit it.
Hans then fell asleep again.

Hans to the sound of explosions going off.
Hans saw explosions going off and could feel the shockwaves they produced. An explosion ripped off the blanket on top of them.
Markus was screaming and holding his ears and yelling, “Stop!”.
Gerwulf curled up into a ball.
The explosions then stopped.
Then they heard yelling and footsteps.
“D'infanterie ennemie!” yelled a French soldier behind him.
“Get up Gerwulf! Get your gun ready!” Hans yelled.
Gerwulf looked over the foxhole and aimed his rifle, so did Hans. Markus was still curled up in a ball.
Hans grabbed Markus and pulled him up.
The footsteps became louder.
“Oh shit!” cried Gerwulf.
Hans looked to his left where Seiler was. He was shaking and had his hand on the trigger of the MG42 Machine gun.
Hans looked back into the woods.
Then the Italian troops became visible. They were mostly African with some Italians in the ranks.
“Fire!” yelled Mueller.
Hans fired his rifle and he could hear everyone else doing the same.
He cocked the rifle and shot again. He could not tell if he was hitting anyone. He just kept firing his weapon. He could hear the loud MG42 going off. He fired again. He cocked it and then pulled the trigger. No bolt of fire came out the end. He reached into his ammo pouch fumbling with the ammo. He grabbed the ammo cartridge and slid it into the gun. He then cocked it and started to fire again. The Italian troops then took cover behind trees.
Hans saw one peek out right where he was aiming his gun. He aimed quickly and then pulled the trigger. A bullet whizzed out of his rifle and hit the Italian soldier directly in the head. The Italian dropped to the ground.
They were about 60 meters in front of the German line of fox holes.
More Italians went down.
Hans had to reload again. This time he did not fumble with the cartridge.
“I got one!” exclaimed Markus.
Then a second after he said that a bullet hit him in the arm.
He screamed and dropped his rifle and fell back into the fox hole.
“Markus!” cried Hans sliding back into the foxhole.
“Where are you hit!” asked Hans.
“My arm!” Markus replied with a painful expression on his face. Hans had some previous medical training so he got out a handkerchief and rapped it just above the wound on his right arm. He then pulled it tight.
“It doesn’t look bad, can you still fight?” asked Hans.
“Yeah,” replied Markus.
Hans and Markus looked out of the foxhole aiming their weapons. Hans saw more soldiers behind trees. He saw one prone using a tree as cover. He fired his rifle, then another bolt of fire came out of the end of the rifle. He then saw the prone soldier was no longer shooting.
Then there was a whistling. An Italian yelled, “Andare! Non ritiro!”
The Italian soldiers charged at the French and German lines.
“Fix bayonets!” yelled Mueller.
Hans put his hand on his belt and felt for the bayonet. He found it then grabbed it and attached the bayonet to his rifle.
The Italians charged. There was an endless horde of them. Seiler’s machine gun kept them at bay for a little, but they just kept coming. Hans, Markus, and Gerwulf weren’t aiming now. They were just shooting as fast as they could. There were a mass of bodies lain in front of the line of foxholes. Eventually the Italians routed.
Hans kept firing into the forest. Gerwulf put his hand on Hans rifle and looked at him. Hans then slid back into the trench and rested his head on the foxhole’s side and then closed his eyes. His comrades did the same.
Feldwebel Schueller was running around the fox holes. “Stay in your fox holes!” he said running about the line.
“Sir! Markus is hit!” yelled Gerwulf.
Schueller came over to Han’s foxhole.
“Where’s he hit?” asked Schueller.
“His arm sir!” replied Gerwulf.
Schueller looked at Markus for a couple seconds.
“Can you make it back to the aid station?” asked Schueller.
Schueller nodded, while holding his wound. Schueller held his hand out to help Markus up. Markus grabbed his hand and then Schueller pulled him up.
“The aid station down the road! It has a big cross on it you can’t miss it!” Schueller told Markus.
Markus got out of the foxhole and then went to the road. Schueller nodded at Hans and Gerwulf and the continued to go down the line of foxholes.
Hans shook his head at Gerwulf.
“What the hell…” said Hans while pulling out a cigarette in his mouth and pulling out a match. He lit the cigarette. Gerwulf then took it out of his mouth and then began to smoke it. Hans looked at him for a second and then pulled out another cigarette and began to smoke it. 20 minutes later they had to move.



1917: Hitler is killed in the battle of Passchendale; Germany does not become a fascist country.

1917: The Russian Revolution ends in a Soviet victory.

1918: Germany surrenders and the Treaty of Versailles happens.

1918: The Russian Revolution takes place. And the U.S.S.R is excluded from the Treaty of Versailles.

1919: The U.S.S.R builds up military power while Germany is crippled by the treaty.

1920: Italians begin conquest of Africa.

1923: Fearing the U.S.S.R will try to invade Germany and Eastern European territories, the League of Nations removes all debt from Germany and allows them to build up a military.

1933: The U.S.S.R allies with Japan and Italy and promise to help each other if attacked by a nation.

1933: The League of Nations helps Germany recover because of the U.S.S.R’s act.

1935: Italy has conquered the entire north and western coast of Africa.

1937: Germany joins the League of Nations.

1941: Stalin becomes Chairman of the Soviet Union.

1941 January 1st: U.S.S.R invades Eastern European Countries.

1941 January 4th: Italy invades France and Japan bombs American Naval bases.

1941 January 5th: Germany and England come to the aid of France.

1941 January 20th: German forces arrive at the front lines which have now passed Lyon, France.



© Copyright 2008 shadowsnip (shadowsnip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448642-The-Second-Great-War