*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448874-Away-From-Home-Ep2-acts-12-of-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Sci-fi · #1448874
the crew must face a Grimlaar in order to get supplies from a mining planet
ACT 1

OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN ON:

THE SHIP moving through space towards a large green planet.

INT THE SHIP-COCKPIT

JOANNA is strapped in her chair carefully steering THE SHIP towards the planet. SAM in sitting next to her in the co-pilot’s seat, she is also strapped in and eating a chocolate bar.

SAM
I wonder what this planet’s gonna be like.

JOANNA
Hopefully not as bad as the last one.

SAM
Yeah I never want to go back to that one again.

JOANNA
Yeah me neither.

SAM
It was just that everyone there just kinda hated us for no reason.

JOANNA
Well we’re new to these people just like they’re new to us.

SAM
I know, just wish that there was someone out there who doesn’t hate us.

JOANNA
Well Inyri and Furlin, seem to like us. Not so sure about Kargen though.

SAM takes another bite from her chocolate bar.

SAM
What d’you mean?

JOANNA
Well, its not that I think the guy actually hates us its just that he acts strange around us, like he doesn’t know how to be around us.

SAM
Maybe he’s shy, and anyway I’m sure he’ll get better as time goes.

JOANNA
Yeah you’re probably right.

THE SHIP enters the planets atmosphere. SAM un-straps herself from the chair and goes to the Comms.

SAM
Captain we’ve just entered the planet’s atmosphere and Jo’s gonna get ready for landing.

TONY (over Comm. System)
That’s a hey Sam.
(jokingly)
we’ll strap ourselves in.

JOANNA
Oh ha ha.

TONY (over Comm. System)
(laughing)
Nah, nah sorry we’ll get ourselves ready. Thanks for the heads up.

SAM (smiling)
Any time Captain.

SAM turns off the Comms. Then she sits back down on the co-pilot’s chair, strapping herself in again,, and eats the last bit of the chocolate bar scrunches up the rapper and puts it in her pocket. THE SHIP begins shaking lightly, JOANNA tightens her grip on the double-joystick controls. SAM holds the straps around her tightly. THE SHIP stops shaking after a while. JOANNA loosens her grip, as does SAM, they have a view of the mining area.

JOANNA
Huh, it’s a big mine.

SAM (exited)
Yeah, I wonder what they’re mining.

JOANNA
Probably nothing we need.

SAM
Well lets find out.

JOANNA moves THE SHIP closer to the ground and lands it in an open space walking distance to the mine entrance. The ramp goes down and TONY, NATHAN, FURLIN, JOANNA and SAM get off THE SHIP. The ground around them is rough and a dark grey colour. The mining entrance was a short distance from them but is blocked off by a large metal door. The people of the planet were steering clear of the mine entrance.

FURLIN
I wonder why the mine is closed off.

SAM
Its usually open?

FURLIN
Well yes, most of these people work in the mines.

NATHAN
You been here before?

FURLIN
Well not to this planet particularly but there are others like this.

SAM
Well maybe if we ask around they can tell us.

TONY
Maybe.

TONY looks around the area, most of the people are heading into a nearby tall silver building. It has only a few windows and one door.

NATHAN
Is there a place where I can get something to drink, I’m thirsty.

JOANNA
Yeah me too.

TONY
Lets check in there.

They all move through the crowd and head towards the silver building.

INT THE SHIP-DINING AREA

ROGER is sitting on one of the chairs eating a sandwich. INYRI enters the DINING AREA and stops as she sees ROGER. ROGER looks up to see her, they stare at each other for a moment.

ROGER
What?

INYRI
I thought you would be with the others outside.

ROGER
Well maybe later.

INYRI
What’s wrong?

ROGER (shrugging)
I don’t know I guess I just miss home too much and going out there reminds me too much that I’m not on Earth.

INYRI (smiling)
I’m sure you will get back to your home some time soon.

ROGER
I hope so.

INYRI walks to the cupboards and takes out a bottle of water, then walks to the table and sits opposite ROGER. She opens the bottle and takes a sip.

INYRI
Why don’t you try and enjoy yourself, like Sam is.

ROGER
Enjoy myself?

INYRI
Yes, you are able to experience new cultures and new forms of like at every planet we land on, just like I am experiencing yours.

ROGER nods his head in agreement.

ROGER
I guess you got a point there.

INYRI
Exactly. You should be jumping at the chance to be outside.

ROGER looks down and thinks for a second, then looks back at INYRI.

ROGER (reluctantly)
Alright, alright, I’ll go outside.

INYRI
It’ll do you good.

INYRI stands and walks to the door, but then stops and turns back to ROGER.

INYRI
Oh before I forget, Kargen said he could here a loud banging earlier and is wondering what it is.

ROGER
That’s probably Amy making the noise.

INYRI
You want me to talk to her?

ROGER stands up.

ROGER
No I’ll do it.

INYRI leaves as ROGER moves to the door and walks down the hall.

INT THE SHIP-AMY’S CELL

AMY is banging on the cell door with both her hands, when ROGER opens the door she stops and takes a step back.

ROGER (angered)
What the hell is with the banging?

AMY
I’m hungry.

ROGER
That don’t mean you should bang on the door for hours.

AMY
Well its not like I can get out this room any time I want, and I don’t have the Comms. With me so I can’t exactly tell anyone anything.

ROGER
Oh, right… sorry.

AMY
Yeah. Well…

There is a long moment of silence between them.

ROGER
Look, do you wanna just come to the Dining Area and get what you want to eat?

AMY looks at ROGER in surprise.

AMY
You mean, leave this room?

ROGER
Yeah.

AMY
Sure!

ROGER leaves the room then steps out the way to let AMY out. ROGER then closes the door and the two of them walk down the hall. AMY suddenly stops, ROGER takes a few more steps before realizing that AMY had stopped.

ROGER
What’s wrong?

AMY
Why are you helping me?

ROGER
You said you were hungry.

AMY
Yeah but I thought you’d go away and come back with the food, not take me to there.

ROGER
What, do you wanna go back to your cell?

AMY (quickly)
No, no, no. I’m good, just wondering.

The two of them continue walking.

INT THE PLANET-BAR/RESTAURANT

The group enter the BAR/RESTAURANT, the walls are silver and glittering. The chairs and tables are the same colour but they are not glittering. The BAR is at the far end, most the dark brown stools are occupied. The ceiling is high and the lights are coming from both the walls and the floor in small circles. Everyone in the BAR/RESTAURANT looked tetchy and concentrated on no one else but themselves.

NATHAN (sardonically)
Well this place looks like a bundle of fun.

They see an empty table and quickly go to it and sit down. SAM looks around then back to the group.

SAM
Why’s everyone mad? Its not us is it?

FURLIN
These people probably work in the mine, they hate to not be able to work.

NATHAN
Well we’re not here for mining, we’re here for food.

SAM (annoyed)
Nathan!

NATHAN
What I’m just saying.

SAM
Well don’t.

TONY turns to NATHAN and SAM.

TONY
Knock it off you two.

FURLIN
I’m afraid that the mine being closed will hamper our attempts to get anything around here.

They all look at FURLIN.

JOANNA
And why is that?

FURLIN (uncomfortable)
Well in planets like this there is only one acceptable currency and…
(beat)
… well that comes from the mine.

They all get angry at FURLIN. Glaring at him and clenching their fists.

NATHAN
You were gonna tell us when?

FURLIN
I’m sorry, I didn’t know the mine was gonna be closed.

JOANNA
(raising her hands in anger)
This is just great!

SAM
You could of told us before.

FURLIN
I know and again I’m sorry.

TONY folds his arms on the table and rests his head on it.

SAM (concerned)
You ok there Captain?

TONY (groaning)
This was suppose to be just a small stop for groceries, now we find the store is closed.

SAM (smiling)
I’m sure it’ll open again soon.

TONY lifts his head up and looks to FURLIN.

TONY
Any idea why the mine is closed?

FURLIN
No clue, but we can ask around.

NATHAN
Are you sure we should do that? No offence but these people look like the type to kill us rather answer us.

TONY silently considers their option for a while.

TONY
It’s the best thing to do right now, the more we know about why its closed the better we can do to help it re-open.

They all push their chairs back and start to stand and then move to the BAR. The BARTENDER looks up at them as they get close. The BARTENDER is a large man with brown scaly skin and three black eyes bunched together

BARTENDER
You’re new.

TONY
Yeah so?

BARTENDER
Don’t get many new folk round here.

TONY
Your point?

BARTENDER
Point is I don‘t like any newcomers.

TONY
Nothing I can do about it.

BARTENDER
You can leave.

TONY
Not until we get what we came for.

The BARTENDER eyes TONY intently.

BARTENDER
It wasn’t a suggestion.

TONY
We still aren’t leaving yet.

BARTENDER
Huh, you will soon.

INT THE SHIP-DINING AREA

AMY is sitting on one of the chairs, resting her cuffed hands on the table. ROGER is standing at the far end near the cupboards and sink, he throws an empty can in the bin and then grabs a plate and a glass of juice and places them in front of AMY. AMY looks at what is on the plate then to ROGER in disgust.

AMY
Spaghetti Bolognaise?

ROGER
Yeah, you said you were hungry so this should last you a couple of days.

AMY
Is there anything else?

ROGER
Not really. That’s why we’re here on this planet.

AMY reluctantly grabs a fork and knife and tries the Spaghetti Bolognaise. She tightly closes her eyes as she puts some of it in her mouth. Her face is in a grimace as she closes her mouth around the fork. She removes the fork from her mouth and slowly starts chewing then swallows.

AMY
Oh God, this tastes horrible.

ROGER
Sorry, but it’s the best we got right now since I ate the last sandwich earlier.

AMY
You did? Oh brilliant!

ROGER
(raising his hands)
Sorry.

AMY takes another bite, this time going faster, then sips her juice

ROGER
See it ain’t that bad.

AMY
(Glaring at ROGER)
I’m going quick because I don’t want to be near it too long.

ROGER
At least you’re eating.

ROGER moves to a chair next to AMY and sits down. They stare at each other for a while before AMY turns back to the plate.

AMY
You should stop trying.

ROGER (confused)
Trying what?

AMY
To be my friend. I don’t need one.

ROGER
Everyone needs one.

AMY
Not me, I’ve survived for so long without any friends that I don’t how to get one. Or even be around one.

ROGER
There’s still time to learn.

AMY
Maybe.

AMY continues to eat the Spaghetti Bolognaise. KARGEN suddenly enters the DINING AREA and stops when he sees AMY.

KARGEN
What’s she doing out?

AMY
Eating.

ROGER stands and walks to KARGEN.

KARGEN (whispering)
I thought you said she would be staying in her cell.

ROGER (whispering)
She will, I just brought her here to eat. She was banging earlier so this might stop after this.

KARGEN (whispering)
You could have just taken the food to her.

ROGER
Look calm down, she’s not going anywhere and even if she tried she can’t do much with cuffed hands.

KARGEN looks over to AMY and sees her cuffed hands, then looks back at ROGER.

KARGEN
Fine but make sure she don’t try anything.

KARGEN leaves the DINING AREA and ROGER turns around and goes back to sit next to AMY. The plate is almost empty and so is the glass.

AMY
I heard what you two said.

ROGER
You did huh?

AMY
Yeah… huh, not even an alien who barely knows me doesn’t like me.

ROGER
Oh don’t mind him, he’s like that with everyone.

AMY (chuckling)
Give it up doc. I know that ain’t true.

ROGER
Actually it kinda is true.

AMY looks at ROGER in surprise.

AMY
You serious?

ROGER
Well, yeah. He doesn’t say that much to any of us or even look at us.

AMY
Any particular reason?

ROGER
None that I know of.

AMY
Hmm, maybe you should ask him.

ROGER
(shaking his head)
No, if he doesn’t want us to know then we shouldn’t push.

AMY
Fine by me.

AMY eats the rest of the Bolognaise.

INT PLANET-BAR/RESTAURANT

The group is staring at the BARTENDER, who is staring back them. SAM is shifting nervously, her eyes darting around her companions and the BARTENDER. Her eyes rest on JOANNA, who turns to her and shrugs. FURLIN is looking around to the BAR/RESTAURANT for anyone who is noticing them, no one is.

TONY
We don’t want any trouble.

BARTENDER
Then leave before trouble gets you.

SAM
What kinda trouble?

BARTENDER
People round here don’t like newcomers, they always try and rough up this place.

NATHAN
Think of it like this, we get what we came for fast and we get out of here fast.

The BARTENDER considers NATHAN’S offer. Then nods reluctantly.

BARTENDER
Alright, fine. What do you want?

TONY
We want to know why the mine is closed?

BARTENDER
That’s all? The mine is closed because of the Grimlaar.

JOANNA
Grimlaar?

FURLIN looks around anxious.

SAM
What the hell is a Grimlaar?

The BARTENDER looks at them confused.

FURLIN
I know what it is.

They all turn to FURLIN. FURLIN is nervous, staring blankly at the floor.

NATHAN
Care to share that information.

JOANNA
Nathan!

Silence comes between them for a short time. FURLIN finally looks up.

FURLIN
A Grimlaar is a creature that lives in planets like these. They kill anyone they see without mercy, and don’t leave much behind. The only way people have been able to survive on these planets is the fact that Grimlaar’s hate sunlight and stay deep within the mine’s.

JOANNA
If they are from these planets then why do people come here?

FURLIN
Because Grimlaars live within the rock underneath, the only way they can get to us is if someone digs them out.

NATHAN
I’m gonna repeat Jo’s question…

FURLIN
Well what is in the mine is not only valuable here but everywhere. Lots of people use it for a variety of things.

The group look at each other, afraid of what FURLIN told him.

SAM
So what’re we gonna do?

NATHAN
The only thing we can do is leave this planet and try and find another less lethal planet for supplies.

The BARTENDER smiles

JOANNA
Nathan we have no idea how far the next planet is and we may run out of food before we are even half way there.

FURLIN
We have no other option. And I don’t really want to stay here too long.

TONY is staring blankly straight ahead, not paying attention to the others.

TONY
I know what we’re gonna do.

They all turn to him.

SAM
What is it Captain?

TONY
We’re gonna go in.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT 1

ACT 2

INT THE SHIP-HALLWAY

ROGER and AMY are walking through the hallway towards AMY’S CELL. AMY seems reluctant to go.

AMY
I can’t see why I can’t stay out a bit more, you know. In this ship of course not out on the planet.

ROGER
Well if you stay out of cell too long then someone like Kargen might think are trying to escape and shoot you, most probably kill you.

AMY
Not if you’re here.

ROGER
Well I’m gonna go outside when you’re back in your cell.

They turn a sharp corner, ahead of them is AMY’S CELL.

AMY
Why?

ROGER
‘cause I promised Inyri I would.

They stop as they reach AMY’S CELL, ROGER puts in the code and the door clicks open. AMY reluctantly walks in and stops and turns to ROGER.

AMY
Thanks.

ROGER
For what?

AMY
For letting me out for a while.

ROGER (smiles)
You’re welcome.

ROGER closes the door, the lock comes back on.

INT PLANET-BAR/RESTAURANT

The group is looking at TONY in shock. The BARTENDER is shaking his head and looking down.

BARTENDER
You guys are as dumb as you look, Grimlaars aren’t easily killed. If they were I’d kill them.

The BARTENDER’S warning is ignored by the group who continually stare at TONY.

SAM
Are you serious Captain?

TONY nods his head.

JOANNA
No offense Captain but you are insane!

SAM
I’m with Jo on this.

FURLIN
As am I, there has been many people who have tried to kill a Grimlaar, tried and failed.

NATHAN
That is all I need to know, so I’m not going in either.

TONY
Yes you are, we all are.

SAM
Why?

TONY
This is the fastest way to get supplies we may not even get anywhere else.

JOANNA
Yeah it’s the fastest but also the most dangerous. Some if not all of us may die.

TONY
I know, really I do-

FURLIN
Do you relly?

TONY
Yes I do, look we can play this safe and even the slightest hint of something going wrong we will leave no questions asked.

The group considers TONY’S plan in silence, looking at each other. After a while NATHAN rapily shakes his head and shrugs.

NATHAN
I can’t belive I’m saying this, but I’m in.

TONY
(nods his head)
Thank you.

JOANNA
I’m in too.

TONY, NATHAN and JOANNA turn to FURLIN and SAM.

FURLIN (reluctantly)
I guess I’m with you, but I still think this is stupid.

TONY
Your thought is mutual. Sam?

SAM shakes her head and looks down.

SAM
I-I’m not a fighter, I can barely fire a gun. I’m not saying we shouldn’t do this. Well actually I am, but since you are I’m saying that I can’t go with you.

TONY nods in understanding.

TONY
Hey Sam, its ok if you don’t wanna do this. None of us are gonna hold it against you.

SAM
I know but, I wanna help in some way.

NATHAN
Well the door may have a code to open it so maybe you can find out what it is.

SAM nods her head, sad that she can’t help more.

FURLIN
So when are we doing this?

TONY
Tonight?

JOANNA
Tonight?!

TONY
Yeah.

JOANNA
That’s a bit sudden isn’t it?

TONY
The quicker we do this the quicker we get what we need.

JOANNA stays silent, unwillingly agreeing with TONY.

FURLIN
Since we don’t have much time I say we start preparing now.

TONY
Agreed.

The group leave the BAR/RESTAURANT.

INT THE SHIP-HALLWAY

ROGER is walking towards the exit ramp, humming a tune. He passes KARGEN who stops and turns to ROGER.

KARGEN
Where are you going?

ROGER stops humming and turns to KARGEN

ROGER
Outside for a bit.

KARGEN
What for?

ROGER
Just for a stroll in the open.

KARGEN
(nodiing his head)
I see… well then see you when you return.

KARGEN hurriedly walks away. ROGER looks in KARGEN’S direction confused and worried, then shakes his head and continues to the exit ramp.

EXT PLANET

ROGER walks down the ramp and looks around in wonder. As he looks around he sees the group coming towards them, he moves out the way to allow them to get inside.

ROGER
Did we get what we need?

TONY
No not yet.

FURLIN, JOANNA and SAM enter THE SHIP, while TONY and NATHAN stay outside.

ROGER
What do you mean? what happened?

TONY
We hit a bit of a snag. But don’t worry we are gonna sort it out in no time at all.

NATHAN
Hey Captain maybe the doc. Should come with us.

ROGER and TONY both look at NATHAN.

ROGER
What do you mean come with you? Where are you going?

TONY
We need to be somewhere to sort out the snag I told you of.

ROGER
How bad is it?

NATHAN
It ain’t too bad.

ROGER
Well you guys want me along with you so guessing worse than you’re letting on.

TONY
(smirking)
Well doc. I gotta give it to you, you’re good.

ROGER
Are you gonna tell me why you need me and where we’re going or are you gonna let go in without a clue?

TONY puts his arm over ROGER’S shoulder and leads him up the ramp.

TONY
Don’t you worry doc. You will know everything long before we have to leave.

TONY, ROGER and NATHAN enter THE SHIP.

INT THE SHIP-DINING AREA

KARGEN is sitting on one of the chairs staring blankly ahead of him. The circular device held in his hands. INYRI enters the DINING AREA and KARGEN hides the circular device.

INYRI (politely)
Hello Kargen.

KARGEN
Hello Inyri

INYRI passes KARGEN, heading towards the fridge. Before she gets there she falters and turns to KARGEN.

INYRI
Kargen, I wish to ask you something.

KARGEN turns to INYRI.

KARGEN
Ask.

INYRI steps closer to KARGEN.

INYRI
I wish to know why you do not like the Humans.

KARGEN
I do like them.

INYRI
But you act so strangely around them.

KARGEN
I know, its not them its me. I don’t know these Humans and their ways. I ‘m unsure of the way to act.

INYRI
Just be yourself. I’m possitive they’ll like you.

KARGEN
I will try to be. I’ve got things on my mind anyway.

INYRI
What things?

KARGEN waves his hands as he shakes his head.

KARGEN
Ah its nothing of importance.

INYRI
Whatever it is they might even be able to help.

KARGEN thinks of INYRI’S words, then nods his head.

KARGEN
You’re probably right.

KARGEN stands up and walks to the door, but then stops and turns back to INYRI.

KARGEN
Thank you.
INYRI smiles as KARGEN leaves.

EXT PLANET-NIGHTTIME

ROGER walks down the ramp with a medi-kit around his shoulder and he is holding a large assault rifle with a large light on top of it in both his hands. Fear is in his eyes. TONY and JOANNA walk down the ramp next and stop next to ROGER, TONY and JOANNA both have assault rifles similar to the one ROGER has. TONY also has twin pistols stapped to his belt. Finally FURLIN and NATHAN walk down the ramp, they too have assault rifles and lights. The area is empty of people and the mine entrance is no longer guarded but the door is still closed.

FURLIN
I can’t belive I’m dong this.

ROGER
You’re not the only one.

FURLIN
Yeah but I’m just a passenger, I didn’t pay to get on the ship so I can do this.

TONY
You didn’t pay at all

FURLIN
Oh right… well I still hate this.

TONY
You can always go back inside

FURLIN
No, no if I go back inside you’ll be one man shorter against the Grimlaar, then if one of you gets hurt or killed I’ll never forgive myself.

JOANNA
Look lets just get this over with.

NATHAN
Yeah I can’t really stand this waiting around.

They walk towards the mine entrance and stop at the door. The door has a key code to the left of it. TONY walk up to it. On it is several different alien symbols.

NATHAN
Good thing Sam got the code earlier.

TONY
Well she wanted to help and as always she came through.

TONY punches in the code and the door opens. They look around for anyone walking in their direction. No one is so they hurry into the mine, leaving the door open but only slightly.

TONY
What do those symbols even mean?

FURLIN
They were numbers the code was 150889

TONY
Oh.

They walk through a tunnel deeper into the mine. The tunnel a wide and dimly lit. other than the lights on their assault rifles the only light source in the mine tunnels are small lights every ten feet on both sides of the tunnel.

JOANNA
Any idea where this Grimlaar thing is?

FURLIN
… no.

JOANNA
That’s comforting.


FURLIN
It wasn’t meant to be.

As they progress through the tunnel it comes to a split with three more tunnels. They stop when they reach them. They try to hear noises to figure which one to choose but the mine is completely silent.

NATHAN
Which way do we go?

JOANNA
I say the one on the left.

ROGER
I agree.

NATHAN
I vote for straight ahead.

TONY
(sighs)
I can’t believe this but we have to split up.

They all look at TONY in shock.

JOANNA
Split up? You’re serious?

NATHAN
Well he was serious about this so I’m guessing he is about this too.

ROGER
If we split up it can get at us easily.

TONY
If we don’t we’ll either stay here complaining until tomorrow and get caught by those guards, or we’ll go through each of these tunnels too slow to ever catch it. So we have split up and cover more ground faster.

They are silent for a while.

TONY
Ok, Roger, you Furlin and Jo take the left one while me and Nathan will take the right.

JOANNA
What about the middle one?

TONY
If neither of us finds the thing we’ll all meet back here and go for the middle one together.

They all nod their heads.

TONY
We will keep in contact at all times, if you see it hide and call everyone in, don’t try it alone.

They all give a look of relief but are still worried. They slowly separate into their groups and head through their own tunnels. Each tunnel is lit the same way as the one before. TONY and NATHAN go through their tunnel slowly, moving their lights all over the place, a short distance ahead of them is a corner.

NATHAN
Tell me again why we’re doing this.

TONY
I honestly don’t know.

NATHAN
Well figure it out and tell me.

TONY
I’ll try, but it might take a while.

NATHAN
You got you’re whole life to figure it out.

TONY
(smirking)
Well I better get started now then.

The two of them arrive at the corner and after a moments hesitation they turns the corner then stop. Using their lights they search the tunnel but is no sign of the GRIMLAAR. JOANNA, FURLIN and ROGER walk slowly through their own tunnel, it is a long straight pathway. FURLIN is afraid and slightly shaking.

JOANNA
Furlin.

FURLIN
Yeah?

JOANNA
Try to be calm.

FURLIN
I’m trying, really, I am.
JOANNA
Then please try harder.

FURLIN
Ok.

FURLIN takes several deep breathes and calms down, the shaking gone.

FURLIN
Thanks.

They continue walking through the tunnel.

JOANNA
Come out, come out wherever you are.

FURLIN
No don’t stay away so we don’t have to deal with you.

SOUND: A LOUD INHUMAN GROWL FAR AHEAD OF THEM.

The three of them stop, a look of horror on each of their faces.

ROGER
There is no way I’m going towards that noise, can you imagine the thing that made the noise.

FURLIN
I did say it was stupid, but no, you all wanted to do it anyway.

NATHAN and TONY are standing still, they had heard the inhuman growl. They both look at each other and nod their heads and walk quickly back to where they split up. FURLIN, JOANNA and ROGER are stiil standing at the same place, waiting for the inhuman to come again.

ROGER
… I think its gone.

FURLIN
Oh praise all known Gods.

JOANNA turns on the Comms.

JOANNA (whispering)
Hey Captain, did you hear that?

TONY (over Comm. System)
Yeah we heard, we’re on our way. Stay where you are until we arrive.

JOANNA (whispering)
You can count on us.

JOANNA turns the Comms. Off.

JOANNA
They’re on their way.

FURLIN
Oh good this’ll be much easier with only two more people to help.

JOANNA
Shut up.

SOUND: LOUDER INHUMAN GROWL.

FURLIN
Ok its getting closer.

ROGER (whisper)
Hide!

They run to some large rocks to their left and hide behind them. Then they turn off their lights.

SOUND: HEAVY FOOTFALLS GETTING CLOSER.

JOAANA slowly looks out from the rocks as the GRIMLAAR comes into view, her eyes widen and immediately ducks back down. The GRIMLAAR is bigger than them by far, whitish-grey hair from head to toe, its teeth are sharp and close together. The GRIMLAAR’S eyes are small and completely white. The GRIMLAAR’S claws are small but very sharp.

JOANNA (whisper)
Its here.

FURLIN and ROGER look at JOANNA eyes wide and their mouths gaping open. JOANNA again slowly inches upward and looks at the GRIMLAAR. THE GRIMLAAR is rapidly looking back and forth, its eyes darting everywhere. When the GRIMLAAR looks in JOANNA’S direction she immediately goes back down. The GRIMLAAR stares at the rocks where FURLIN, JOANNA and ROGER is hiding, then starts moving closer to them.
TONY and NATHAN have gotten out of the tunnel they went through and are rushing through the tunnel the others went through.

TONY
Hurry!


NATHAN
Right behind you.

TONY and NATHAN quickly turn a corner.
JOANNA tightens her grip on her assault rifle as the GRIMLAAR gets closer. FURLIN looks at her.

FURLIN (whispering)
What are you doing?

JOANNA (whispering)
Maybe I can scare it away, give us some time to run.

FURLIN (whispering)
The only part of that plan I like is the running part.

ROGER (whispering)
Which probably won’t work.

FURLIN (whispering)
Exactly.

JOANNA glances at FURLIN and ROGER.

JOANNA (whispering)
Do either of you have a better idea?

FURLIN and ROGER look away, embarrassed. The GRIMLAAR is now right in front of the rocks, growling. ROGER looks up to it then goes back down.

ROGER (whispering)
If you’re gonna do it, do it now.

JOANNA/FURLIN (in unison)
Why?


ROGER points to the GRIMLAAR, JOANNA follows to where he is pointing and sees it. She raises her gun slowly until it is pointing at the GRIMLAAR. After a moments hesitation she fires the assault rifle, it hit’s the GRIMLAAR in the right shoulder, it is forced back and screetches in pain. JOANNA keeps firing and the GRIMLAAR keeps backing up and screetching. ROGER and FURLIN join JOANNA in shooting it and then the GRIMLAAR runs off. The three of them stop shooting but keep their guns trained. After a long pause they lower their assault rifles and sit back down, leaning on the rocks. They each smile which soon turns into laughter.

FURLIN (joyous)
I’m alive! I’M ALIVE!

The three of them laugh for a long while until it dies down.

TONY (over Comm. System)
I heard gun fire, you guys ok?

ROGER
We’re good, the thing’s gone for now. Where are you and Nathan?

TONY and NATHAN come rushing towards them.

TONY
We’re here.

JOANNA, FURLIN and ROGER stare at NATHAN and TONY, breathing heavily.

ROGER
Took your time getting here.

NATHAN
Haha very funny, we would’a go here sooner if you told us exactly where you were.

FURLIN
If we did that we might not be here right now.

JOANNA, FURLIN and ROGER slowly get to their feet.

TONY
As glad as I am that you guys are alive, we still have a bit of a problem.

ROGER and FURLIN both slump back down.

FURLIN (half-hearted)
We still have to kill it.

TONY
Exactly. So lets get going.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT 2


© Copyright 2008 F. Owens (angelus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448874-Away-From-Home-Ep2-acts-12-of-3