*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449138-Spherical-Phood-Phobia
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1449138
Compulsive personality quirk for daily flash fiction
Jonathan examined the apple with a certain degree of distrust.

If it had been a carrot or maybe a cucumber, well that would have been just fine with him. It was not that he had anything against fruit per-say...that would have been ridiculous. Spherical food; now that was a completely different thing altogether.

He got down on his hands and knees for a closer inspection. It was an apple alright.

How was he going to get this thing out of his yard? Picking it up with his hand was absurdly out of the question. He could whack it with a shovel perhaps, but then he would still be aware of its existence out there in the neighborhood. No, he needed a more permanent solution.

Then it hit him, he would mulch it up with his lawn mower. That would certainly take the sphericalness out of it.

He had not planned on doing any mowing until the weekend when it was supposed to be cooler. Right now, it was nearly a hundred degrees outside even with the sun hidden behind the seasonal layer of smoke caused by regional wild fires.

Lately, the air had been so bad that if he’d had a smoke detector on his front porch, it would have gone off.

Jonathan carefully wheeled the mower close to the guilty party and started it up. He then left it on idle as he casually walked around the yard, appearing to have no interest in either the apple or the mower.

With one swift movement, he grabbed the machine and swooped over the apple again and again.

Problem solved.

“See. I told ya so,” said little Bobby to his friend Sam as they spied through the fence.

“Watch what happens when I throw a bunch of grapes over there.”

Word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449138-Spherical-Phood-Phobia