*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449500-Stolen-Birthday
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1449500
Elizabeth's 5th birthday goes wrong when her presents are missing.(Weekend Flash Contest)
(Previously entered in the Weekend Flash Contest)

Elizabeths' brown eyes blinked open and she sat up. She stretched for a moment, swinging her feet from the edge of her bed.

“Today’s my birthday! I'm five years old!” Elizabeth jumped to the floor and looked around the room.  Lifting her blanket, she checked under the bed. She opened the closet and peered inside. Elizabeth scowled. Everything was how she’d left it last night.

“Wait, I know.” Bounding out the door, she ran downstairs to the living room. No presents on the coffee table or the couch. Elizabeth scampered into the dining room. Not on the table. She moved through the kitchen, opening and closing cabinets. Where could they be? she wondered.

Elizabeth ran to her parents' room and banged on the door. “Mommy, Daddy, wake up. It’s my birthday but I can’t find my presents.”

“Honey,” Her mother’s groggy voice floated out to her. “It’s six in the morning. Go back to sleep.”

“But, Mommy,” Elizabeth crossed her arms. “I’m not tired.”

“Sweetie, just go.”

Elizabeth returned to her room and threw herself onto the bed. Picking up her stuffed bear, she held it close. Would there be cake? Ice cream? What about pizza? She hoped so. Her eyes drifted closed.

A few hours later, Elizabeth's mother called her downstairs for breakfast. Trudging to the table, the little girl stared at the blueberry pancakes.

“Are you sick?” Her mother put a cool hand to Elizabeth’s forehead. “Why aren’t you eating your pancakes? They’re your favorite.”

“Mommy,” She looked up at her with tears in her eyes. “Somebody stole all my birthday presents.”

Elizabeth's mom chuckled and leaned down to dry her daughter's face. "Baby, your birthday isn't until tomorrow."

Word count: 300
© Copyright 2008 Charity Marie - <3 (cmstarrett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449500-Stolen-Birthday