*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449609-Zachery-Mo-Chapter-I
by scotty
Rated: E · Fiction · Community · #1449609
Small town in Missouri 1800



ZACKERY, MO


Zackery, Missouri is a sleepy little town nestled in the Ozarks along the banks of the Osage River. It was established as a trading post in the late 1700’s, by a settler from Virginia named Bruxton Taylor. At that time the territory was under Spanish control. With
nothing like it in the area, Bruxton soon developed a brisk trade with the Trappers who came through his tiny outpost. He also cultivated a strong relationship with the Osage Indians who were native to the area. He had a knack for adjusting his sales approach to suit the air of the trade. Fluent in Spanish and French to begin with he quickly picked up the language of the Osage as well. His loyalties seemed to swing with the passing breeze. While trading with the Spanish it was God Bless Charles. When the territory reverted back to French control it was Long Live Louis (and in very short order Viva Napoleon). He became known as a shrewd businessman, ruthless at bartering. In fact, it was even rumored that he bartered for his wife, who was the daughter of an Osage Chief. Truth was the ponies and numerous pelts that changed hands were merely a gift to his new father-in-law. But, he let the myth live because it was good for business.

Her name was Silver Quail. She was statuesque with long dark hair. But, her most striking feature was her eyes, which were a brilliant sparkling green. For Silver Quail was not a member of the Osage by birth, but a foundling adopted and raised by them. A hunting party discovered the poor little girl, cold, starving and huddled in a cave. It was believed that one of the Indian war parties, which scattered after the battle of Chickamauga, had come across her and her family in the woods. Although Chickamauga was in Tennessee many of those parties had traveled deep into what was now the Midwest looking for more settlers. Silver Quail, who they guessed to be about five, was the only survivor. The girl had been severally traumatized. For more than a year she communicated through what could only be called cooing noises. The Chief and his family adopted her and gave her the name Silver Quail. She slowly began to learn and speak the Osage language. It wasn’t until a chance encounter with a group of trappers that it was discovered that she spoke English. A discovery that seemed to shock her more than her adoptive father. With that discovery came the realization that her Christian name was actually Sally which she shunned in favor of her Osage name. By the time she and Bruxton met Silver Quail was 20. Because she spoke English she would often accompany her father on his visits to Bruxton’s Trading Post. The couple felt and immediate attraction for one another and before long Bruxton began to make regular visits to the Osage village. Sometimes it was to deliver goods of some kind but more often than not, it was for some lame or feeble reason. Silver Quails father quickly saw through this. Not that he objected to Bruxton’s interest in his daughter. In fact it was quite the opposite. He knew that Silver Quail would eventually be interested in the white culture and he was very fond of Bruxton. So it was no surprise to him when Bruxton asked for her hand in marriage. He responded with a single question which he, in turn, proposed to each of them.
“Is this the woman (or in her case man) that you want to share your lodge with?”

The couple was then wed in a classic Osage ceremony.

In honor of their wedding, the Chief ordered a traditional Osage Indian lodge dwelling be built for the couple on the site of Bruxton’s trading post. Before this the post was merely a combination of lean-to and tent. Bruxton was thrilled with Silver Quail. She was an industrious worker and a great help in building his business. She also kept him warm on long winter nights and as a result bore him his only heir, a son he named Cooperton.
Bruxton was almost fifty when his son was born. Having children later in life was a tradition that would follow generations of Taylor men to come.

By the time Cooperton arrived the Trading post had grown considerably. It was no longer a one-room lodge structure. It included a smoke house, a brewery, a small distillery and a warehouse. A substantial amount of acreage had also been cleared for farming. In addition there were several small houses constructed to house the men and women who worked for the couple. Many of these were settlers who came to trade and stayed to work. There were Germans, Irish, Dutch, Polish and always a few blacks.

When the Louisiana territory was under French control Louis ended the slave trade, but when it reverted to control of the Spanish the slave trade was reinstated. Buxton could not abide with the concept of slavery. "One man can not own another man" he was famous for saying. As a result he employed many who came his way. They never stayed for very long. Usually they worked for a while, made a little money, had a few hot meals and moved on. They never said if they were free men and he never asked. He just did what he could for them. He usually put them to work in the brewery or distillery so that they were away from any prying eyes that might be looking for them. He treated them honest and only asked that they do the same for him.

Cooperton was a curious and industrious child. He worked hard along side his mother and father and learned a great deal about the family business. Bruxton and Silver Quail marveled at how quickly he caught on to even the most difficult and involved aspects of the business. His mother schooled him in the ways of the Osage. His father took care of sums and languages. An avid reader, Cooperton devoured everything written that he could get his hands on. He was also an eager and willing helper to the immigrant workers who ran the brewery and distillery. By the time he was 15 he was fluent in Spanish and French and could carry on a passable conversation with many of the workers in their own language. Bruxton was so impressed with his son’s abilities that It was decided he should attend college. The Taylor’s were a big family in the Williamsburg, Virginia area, so he was sent east to meet other members of the Taylor family and to attend the College of William and Mary. Cooperton was of course apprehensive about leaving his parents and traveling so far from home on his own; but, upon arriving at school all that quickly changed.

He began to thrive in his studies. He had never seen so many books. He studied Architecture, Art and Science and anything else that caught his fancy. He simply couldn’t get enough of the subjects that were laid in his path. He read a fair amount about the Law as well and was leaning toward becoming a lawyer. He would study hard during the week and visit various members of the family on the weekends and holidays. During one of these
visits he was introduced to a distant cousin of his father’s, an army officer by the name of Zachery.

Cooperton’s father had been a prodigious letter writer and after moving west kept in touch with his family in Virginia with regular missives from the wilderness. In fact Bruxton’s communication was so thorough that the entire family felt that they new both Cooperton and Silver Quail as well as if they had lived next door the entire time. Zachery stopped in Virginia while on leave. Having family there he wished to introduce them to his wife Margaret. The couple had recently wed. When Zachery met Cooperton he took an immediate liking to the boy. He had, after all practically witnessed the boy grow up through Bruxton’s letters.

Every prominent person in the area was in attendance, and then some. All wanting to meet the young Captain who had won the battle of Fort Harrison and to express their sincerest good wishes for the couples future. Cooperton had never seen so many people so beautifully dressed. He marveled as carriage after carriage arrived, each pulled by a team of horses more magnificent then the last. He was a very self assured young man but the spectacle of the whole event dwarfed his rural upbringing.
Sensing the young man’s unease, Margaret pulled him aside.
“You’ve never seen anything quite like this have you” she asked.
“Am I that obvious?” he said with a wince.
“Well let’s just say I know someone else who is just as uncomfortable with all this as you are.” as she nodded in her husbands of her direction.
“You don’t mean the Captain surely.”
“Oh yes I do” she said with a sly knowing chuckle.
“He may be an officer in the Army but he is an officer who is a lot more comfortable on a battlefield or in a fort with his men than at a large social soiree in a town like Williamsburg. He senses the same is true for you Mr. Taylor, with out the Army of course, which is why he has taken such a liking to you. Now I come to rescue you from all this and to ask you a small favor…if I may.”
“Well of course” he said coming to his full height and trying to look as mature and in control as he could muster. “I may be a little nervous, but it’s still an honor to have been invited to such a fine event. I would be happy to do what ever you require.”
“Well good then…follow me,” she said.
And with that she led him through the crowd to a small sitting area off to the side of the room. There sitting next to a small occasional table was quite possible the prettiest young woman Cooperton had ever seen. His insides clutched and he went immediately flush.

Oh no…he thought surely she is not going to ask me to…

“Sarah” Margaret said, “This is Mr. Cooperton Taylor who is here all the way from the Louisiana Territory to pursue his studies at the College of William and Mary. Mr. Taylor this is my cousin Miss Sarah Daniels.”

An awkward silence followed while they looked at one another quite unsure of the proper way to proceed.

Oh my, god he thought to himself, say something you idiot or she will think you feeble minded. Then smiling he offered a polite little bow and said, “It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Daniels”

Why is my throat so dry she wondered silently and quickly replied “And you as well Mr. Taylor.”

Margaret sensing their unease quickly jumped in.

“You see Mr. Taylor Sarah is my cousin from Baltimore who is, like you visiting other family in the area. When I heard she was here I asked her to attend this evening’s festivities, but like you I sense that she is somewhat over whelmed by the occasion. I thought you might be a bit of a comfort to one another…a kind of friendly confidant if you will.”

The awkward silence had again returned as the young couple simply looked at one another smiling.

“Well I must return to the Captain” Margaret said and with that she was gone leaving them alone. As alone as two people can be in a crowded room. Cooperton was the first to break the ice.

“Well…how are you enjoying your visit to Williamsburg?” he asked. A breeze was blowing through an open window adjacent to where they sat causing a lace curtain to billow up and frame her face creating an almost angelic effect. Her green eyes sparkled as she smiled and replied “I am enjoying my stay very much Mr. Taylor…But please don’t feel that you must baby sit me” she said.

With that Cooperton gave a nervous smile and withdrew a step or two.
You ninny why did you say that…can’t you see you only made things worse…you have to fix this Sarah…you have to fix this now.
“My cousin has the very best of intentions I assure you but sometimes she is a little bit…forward in her execution.”
With this the young man seemed to relax a bit.
Good , that seemed to have helped…Despite his nerves he is really quite handsome.
“Oh I would like nothing more than to keep company with you this evening Miss Daniels, it’s just that…well…I am not use to so much social activity I guess and I wouldn’t want you to feel it is your responsibility to keep me company.”
What kind of self deprecating line of crap was that… come on man you are better than that… My, her eyes are quite something.
For some reason I feel quite at home in them.
“A young woman such as your self must have many more sophisticated acquaintances to spend her time with” he added and with that reply she smiled and the twinkle, which had temporarily faded, returned once more to her eyes.
“Honestly Mr. Taylor if we are as good at dancing on our feet as we seem to be with our words we should be the toasts of Williamsburg.”
Oh no…momentary panic…what it he thinks I’m asking him to dance.
That having been said, they stared into each other’s; and then, as if cued by the same conductor, broke out in what could only be called a genuine belly laugh. In years to come it would occur to each of them that it was at this moment the bond had formed.

From then on, the couple sought every opportunity to spend time together while Sarah was visiting Williamsburg and upon her return to Baltimore continued their relationship through the mail. They reveled in the ease with which they communicated. It seemed they could talk about anything. Cooperton shared his experiences growing up at the trading post and his life at school, while Sarah described her life in Baltimore. The bond between the couple seemed to grow stronger with every visit and every letter. That is until fate stepped in and ended the young mans academic career.

© Copyright 2008 scotty (scottyr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449609-Zachery-Mo-Chapter-I