*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449715-Behind-The-Mask
Rated: E · Essay · Community · #1449715
This is about hiding behind a mask and why we do it
The mask is something most if not all of us hide behind at some point in our lives. Some of us do a really good job of hiding behind our mask that we fool ourselves as well as everyone else around us into believing that that person is who we really are.

The mask exists as a way for us to hide how we really feel in certain situations. We hide behind it to save face, so we don’t feel inferior to the opposite sex, or to avoid an uncomfortable situation.

The mask helps us to overcome certain barriers we feel we have by allowing us to put on a brave face, or to hide away in the shadows and to ignore what is happening. The mask comes in many forms. Some people feel the need to be in power so the mask can offer that comfort to this kind of person, especially if this person isn’t in the position of power at the time. Other types of masks include: “Everything is okay”, “I must appear to be happy even though I’m really not”, “My world must appear to be perfect all the time”. And so forth. There are still a lot more that I haven’t mentioned.

Everyone has their own mask that they hide behind. Some aren’t even conscious that they have one as it becomes a reflex response. Sometimes we lose ourselves in our mask, so we need to take it off to see the real us, to find out what makes us unique, and how we can become the best we can be without having to pretend to be someone we’re not.

By opening ourselves up to the real us, we find out what it is we are capable of, what our strengths are and are able to deal with difficult situations in a healthier manner so that in the end we rely upon the pretense less and less as we become happier within ourselves.
© Copyright 2008 SnugglyKitten (snugglykitten at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1449715-Behind-The-Mask