*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451848-Another-Day-in-my-Neighborhood
by Slice
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1451848
A short story about- well, read the title.
"The black one did it. I'm sure."

I hated how this neighborhood was so racist. But then again, some things'll never change.

I walked over to the big brown one. I knew he already had it in for me; we're two very different individuals. His kind was born with a hatred for mine, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

But I was not about to go down without a fight.

"How do you plead, Black Cat?"

"Not guilty, sir."

His eyes grew wider than they normally are, and he stopped slobbering for a while.

Well whadya know, Miracles CAN happen.

"I've said it once, I'll say it again; the old lady's house is the best one around here. I say it's worth much more than, heck, all the free places combined. And besides, she'll take more than one of us. She's very lonely. I don't see why-"

"EXACTLY! You don't see! Look, around here, there are enough free houses for everyone, and we shouldn't have to share!"

Typical. Snowy had always been like that.

I could feel his pain, though. I mean, for an adopted one to suddenly turn into... well, one of US, just because of allergies, that's just messed up.

But come on- he was just being greedy.

"Listen up- you can do what you want, but that old lady treats me very well. I can have human food there, and a nice and cozy place to sleep. Thanks to the increase in adopted ones, a lot of free houses have been taken from us, and we should share so that more of us can get some good treatment."

Big Brown looked satisfied. Then again, when didn't he? Always drooling and smiling...

I'll never understand them.

"You are right, Black Cat. I have decided that the one animal per free house rule will now be void, and sharing is now encouraged!"

I had it planned differently in my mind- cheers, salutes, maybe even a "you rule!" or two. But I guess most of these orphans were just too greedy.

I ran out and went over to the old lady's. She already had a bowl ready, so I started walking over to it when all of a sudden- this white and orange cat just appears out of nowhere and starts eating from it.

And that's how I got here. Standing in front of her, and contemplating my next move.

Maybe the others were right- more than one per house might not be such a great idea.

Then again, she's kinda cute. Hey! She smiled at me!

Maybe the whole world ISN'T against me after all...
© Copyright 2008 Slice (slice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451848-Another-Day-in-my-Neighborhood