*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453023-13th-Birthday-Gone-Wrong
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1453023
Two girls get an unexpected surprise on their birthday
“It’s today! It’s today!” Kayla shouted.
         “It’s 5 o’clock in the morning, Kayla. Go back to sleep,” Brielle replied with a yawn. Kayla and Brielle were sisters, twin sisters in fact, and today was the day of their thirteenth birthday party. They considered this birthday in particular to be the most important because it declared them officially teenagers. As a “reward” for turning teenagers, Kayla and Brielle’s parents promised them they could have their party at the brand new amusement park.
         “I’m too excited to go back to sleep! I can’t believe we’re finally teenagers!” Kayla exclaimed.
         “Yeah, yeah. Very exciting. Now go back to sleep or you’ll be tired for our party at the amusement park this afternoon. You won’t be able to ride the Tsunami,” Brielle explained. After having this dilemma brought to her attention, Kayla went back to her room and quickly fell back asleep. She awoke to the smell of sausage links, chocolate chip pancakes, and hash browns, her and her sister’s favorite breakfast dish. Their mother always made this for them on their birthday.
         After breakfast, Brielle and Kayla’s friends, Caitlin and Sam, came over to get ready to go to the amusement park. “Happy Birthday’s” were said and gifts were exchanged. Of course, everyone was excited for the party, but what they were really looking forward to was riding the roller coaster Tsunami. This roller coaster had an um-teen amount of twists and turns and loops and ups and downs; and that’s definitely enough to make you so sick to your stomach that your face turned green and your insides were now outside.
         “Now when we get to the amusement park, I don’t want you girls splitting up. Always stick together and if anyone bothers you, scream. You’ll meet me by the entrance at 7 o’clock. If you’re not there at 7 o’clock, I’ll call the amusement park security to go look for you and you don’t want that now do you?” The twins’ mother explained the typical overprotected mom’s lecture to the girls.
         “No,” they all said simultaneously. Everyone piled into the car and set off to the amusement park.
         They arrived at the park at about 1 o’clock and it surprisingly was not that crowded, which was perfect because that meant that the line for Tsunami would be very short. The twins’ mother explained the rules to the girls once again, and then they were off. The four girls started running right towards the roller coaster that they’ve been dying to ride.
         “I think Kayla and Brielle should get to be in the first row first because it’s their birthday, then we can switch back and forth so we all get a chance. Deal?” Caitlin explained.
         “Deal,” the others answered.
         Tsunami was even bigger than they imagined, with more twists, turns, loops, ups, and downs. They made their way through the winding metal bars and found that there was practically no line for the roller coaster. They jumped into their seats, put on the safety harnesses, and prepared themselves for the ride of their lives.
         There were only about 10 other people on the ride with Brielle, Kayla, Sam, and Caitlin, but they didn’t think anything of it. The coaster slowly click-clacked it’s way up the first and steepest hill that led right into a huge loop, but something wasn’t right. The roller coaster made a strange noise when it reached mid-way, and suddenly, the latch that attached the first row to the rest of the cars was unhooked, and all the cars, except for the first row, rolled backwards down the hill and into the coaster’s station. Who were the lucky ones in the first row? Brielle and Kayla. The car continued up the hill with Brielle and Kayla scared out of their minds. It reached the top, paused for a second, and then raced down the hill and up into the first loop. Right in the middle of the loop, the car stops, leaving Kayla and Brielle upside down, 200 feet from the ground. They immediately started screaming. The ride attendant called for help and tried to get the ride working but failed.
         “I’m so scared Brielle. What happens if we fall? This isn’t supposed to happen on our birthday!” Kayla cried.
         “Don’t worry, someone will get us. I know, what a birthday present, right? But don’t worry, we’ll be okay.” Brielle tried to calm Kayla down but it didn’t work, she just cried louder and louder.
         After about fifteen minutes of screaming, firemen started to come to the scene. They took out their ladder and started to climb to Brielle and Kayla’s rescue. When they finally made it up there, they were able to unlatch the girls’ harnesses and bring them to safety.
         When Brielle and Kayla got to the ground, they found their mother crying on a bench.
         “I was so worried about you two. As soon as I found out I thought I was going to pass out. I knew this was a bad idea. You guys could have been killed!” Their mother cried
         “Mom we’re fine now,” Brielle explained.
         “Yeah, but let’s promise to never go to an amusement park for our birthday ever again, okay?” Kayla added.
         “Agreed,” Brielle and her mom said simultaneously.
© Copyright 2008 Samantha O'Neill (samanthaoneill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453023-13th-Birthday-Gone-Wrong