*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453354-Aarons-World-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1453354
Aaron’s journey of survival and self discovery, in a world full of magic and mystery
Chapter 2: Bullies with Stones

‘Aaron there you are!’ A small blonde boy was waving to get his attention

It was Damond his best friend, limping over the rough ground outside the Town walls. Damond was shorter even than Nez land had been the butt of many jokes as he grew up, for as well as his size he had a limp and found walking far painful and difficult. Nevertheless Aaron had never heard him complain, instead he concentrated on his gift: great skill with his nimble fingers; before they became friends Aaron had sometimes been jealous that there seemed nothing Damond couldn’t fix or build.

‘Hi Damond, did my mother send you?’

‘Yep, you guessed it. She was worried by the storm but you look alright to me’ their eyes locked for a moment.

‘I was caught outside, but I took shelter in a cottage down by the river’
Aaron had thought about lying to his best friend but he knew that it wouldn’t feel right.

‘You were in old Nez’s place? My dad told me about him. Apparently he’s a real character; he lives outside Town and wouldn’t even come in when the plainsmen were raiding.’ Damond had a quick way of speaking, like he wanted to get everything out in one go.

‘Guess what Damond? Nez is taking me as his apprentice!’

‘Wow!’ said Damond ‘No one knows much about old Nez. My dad said he is older than anyone in Town and remembers the Gremmen war. What will the old coot have you doing I wonder?’

’I don’t know but he wanted to know if I could read and his cottage is full of interesting books and things. And actually he is not that strange when you get to know him’ Aaron felt he should stand up for his Master-to-be.

The two friends chatted excitedly about the future as they made their way back into Town; past the gate keeper who the wandering Aaron was well known to, and up the hill to the western residential area where they both lived. As they left the main street and started to ascend the muddy hillside road they both heard mocking laughter.

‘Ouch!’ A stone had hit Damond in the chest.

Aaron looked up the hill and saw four young men sauntering down towards them. The leader was stocky with a shock of red hair. Aaron recognised him as the local bully two years his senior. His name was Usale and had been his enemy ever since Aaron had become friendly with his younger half- sister, a pretty girl called Joy.

‘Watch out Aaron, I guess Usale is still angry about you talking to Joy.’

‘But we’re just friends.’ Aaron protested ‘he can’t still be mad…Look out!’

They both ducked as another stone flew by and imbedded itself in the muddy road behind them.

‘Hey, look it’s the odd couple’ mocked Usale as he and his cronies closed the remaining distance.

‘What do you want?’ Damond demanded even as he and Aaron began backing away towards the nearest building.

‘Nothing from you, little freak, but your friend and I have business.’

‘Don’t you call him that,’ Aaron boomed his finger pointing ‘I mean it!’

‘Oh look who’s grown a backbone.’ mocked one of Usale’s friends as he pushed Aaron roughly in the shoulder.

‘Listen carefully Aaron!’ spat Usuale. ‘No-one and I mean no-one can talk to my sister without my permission.’

Aaron felt his blood rise and his chest start to pound. Then he saw Usale clench his fists as one of the others made a move to grab Damond.

‘Get back!’ Damond raised his fist threateningly.          

Aaron felt a warning and without thinking blocked Usale’s punch. He threw back one of his own, which connected satisfyingly with Usale’s chin. Usale stared up at him from the muddy road his eyes blazing.

‘Get him!’ he screamed.

Aaron and Damond backed off as the others advanced. Aaron felt a mixture of exaltation and sickness in the pit of his stomach. But then they heard the sound of a whistle being blown furiously. Looking back down the road they saw a squad of guardsmen running up from the direction of the gate.

‘Run!’ Usale and his cronies scampered back up the hill. Just as Usale was about to disappear into an alleyway he turned back and shouted:

‘I’m not finished with you yet Aaron!’

‘Let’s get out of here Damond! I’ll see you at mine later’

‘Ok, see you then!’ Damond agreed as he ducked into the nearest building.

Aaron turned and ran in the opposite direction, darting between two roadside houses and then around a group of stalls that were being put away for the night, laughing as he left the armoured guardsmen far in his wake.

Please Read and Rate and Chapter 3 will be posted soon!
© Copyright 2008 Telamon (mbw22uk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453354-Aarons-World-Chapter-2