*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453387-Return-to-Arrazuole-Part4
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1453387
a new york waitress discovers her destiny....
Chapter Ten

A splintering shower of glass rained down onto the tiled floor as the goblet crashed into the mirror in a rousing crescendo.
“You let them escape!”
The reflection gazed up fearfully from the stone flagon.
“They were prepared. The boy had a Ray-Tarli…we were unable…”
“I do not want to hear any of your excuses!” roared Sarne. Pacing agitatedly across the sparse room, he called loudly for his second-in-command before returning to the table that was heavily laden with food and wine. Snatching the flagon with both hands, he addressed the figure staring back at him in a voice as cold as ice.
“Return to the Realm at once. I will deal with you and your incompetent band of fools later.”
The terrified figure gave a shaky bow, then disappeared. Slumping back in his chair, Sarne placed his hands over his eyes and felt the arteries in his head throbbing. Just when things had been going so well… Now, they would be twice as hard. The princess would be under the protection of the Uripideus by now-whose power and skill even Sarne had to acknowledge-and he had no idea what their next move would be. His spies had brought him virtually no new information for months. The rebels were becoming much more organised and cautious in their efforts…
“You called for me Master?”
The familiar voice acted as a sedative on Sarne’s turbulent mind. Regaining his composure and spirit, he rose to greet the one man he trusted to restore the balance of power in this silent war.
“Davidor, your presence is most gratifying. I am afraid our situation is more…precarious…than had been hoped for.” Filling one of the remaining goblets with the last of the wine, he took he a long draft.
“Precarious?” Davidor’s voice gave nothing away.
Finishing the wine in one more mouthful, Sarne surveyed the wreckage that lay scattered on the floor.
“The shadow knights were unable to fulfil their task….we can now say with some confidence that the Princess is in the Realm. No doubt being watched over constantly by those rebels and mages. I need not tell you how important it is to find a solution to this little problem as soon as possible. If the people were to find out that a member of the Royal Family had survived…well, no doubt the bloodshed would be great.”
“What would you have me do Master?”
Sarne retuned to his seat and studied his second-in-command with satisfaction. He was an unlikely candidate for the post. A rare birth defect had affected his eyes, surrounding his pupils was not the usual disk of colour, instead it was black, creating the illusion of one giant pupil. The rest of the eye burnt with a brilliant whiteness, like coal eyes buried into a snowman. This defect, historically seen as the sign of a demon by peasant folk, had caused Davidor to be ostracised and outcaste, even by his own family.
Like so many others who had nowhere to turn and no one to care, he had joined the legions of the Hitsibar-an organisation of knights that had been created in the reign of the Royal Family. Shunned by other knights, as they drew their ranks from the lower classes, the Hitsibar were poorly trained and insufficiently equipped. Frequently used in the most dangerous missions with very little support, few Hitsibar made it beyond their twentieth birthday.
But Davidor had been different. Gifted with a genuine talent in both combat and leadership, he had swiftly risen through the ranks of the Hitsibar. It was his conduct during the Great Battle of Mishkkovi though, that had brought him to Sarne’s attention.
When a group of disgruntled landowners had claimed ownership over the Royal territory of Mishkkovi, a major battle ensued, with over two thousand strong on each side. The battle had easily had the potential to spill over into the rest of Kingdom and to spark a civil war. A swift and decisive end was needed. While many knights deserted the battlefield or led incompetent missions, Davidor’s small legion of some fifty knights made an impressive show of skill and bravery. Owing in no small part to Davidor’s leadership, the legion ensured the Royal Family’s Victory. He paid a price for his loyalty though. During the battle, he sustained a disfiguring injury. A large scar now ran deep into his flesh, from the top of his forehead, through his eye-which he now had no use of-down to the corner of his mouth.
His combined misfortunes would have seen that he never rose any further above his current station. But Sarne had been quick to spot the potential in the young youth, and rescued him from the ranks of the Hitsibar before placing him in his own legion. Sarne was by then the leader of the largest, and by far the most powerful, legion of knights. His power was so complete that no-one would dare question his authority or decisions. Even when this lowly, disfigured, cursed creature was chosen by Sarne to be his right hand man. Normally, an unthinkable act…
“Take a small legion of men, go out into the Realm, and find the princess.” Sarne gave the orders as though they were unspeakably easy to complete. He added quietly, “use whatever means necessary…”
Davidor dipped his head in a small bow. His armour, different in design and execution to the other knights owing to his rank, threw reflections of light onto the pale walls. He wore his hair in the old style, a testament to his youth growing up in the forestlands of Calvadeer. The sides and back were completely shaved, leaving only a long, narrow trail of pale blonde locks that crossed from his forehead to the nape of his neck, before falling into a long pony-tail that extended well beyond his shoulders, tied back with brown strips of leather.
“I shall not fail you Master.” As he turned to leave, Sarne’s voice slowed his departure.
“Good, for I need not tell you what would happen if you did.”


Chapter Eleven

The paper felt rough under her fingertips as she traced the faded outlines of various landmarks, coming to a stop on the prominent drawing in the centre of the map.
Castle
“That is where we are now,” The voice came from directly behind her. “Though of course, it is now but a shadow of its magnificent past.”
Ever since the revelation a few minutes ago, Jenna’s mind had been in turmoil. She was still expecting to wake up and find this had all been a dream. Turning her attention back to the table, Jenna saw her mysterious guide to this new world – whom she had by now learned was called Javai – was staring at her with those dark eyes, as if he could see right into her soul. The others were engaged in quiet conversations, stealing glances at her occasionally.
“I understand what a shock this must be for you.” That was an understatement. “ I will endeavour to answer all your questions. But the hour is growing late, and you have had a difficult night. It is best you get some rest.”
Jenna turned panicked eyes onto the aging man, so far the only person except Javai who had spoken to her.
“But….where will I be staying?” It was beginning to dawn on Jenna that this was not a dream.
“Do not be afraid. The Uripideus is protecting you” His smile was both reassuring and comforting. “Javai will escort you to your temporary new home.” At this, her escort removed himself from the table and joined them.
“We will reconvene here tomorrow at sunrise,” the elderly man continued, “Until then, take most care Javai. The future of Arrazuole rests in your hands.”
“I highly doubt that.” A woman’s voice was heard on the other side of the room. Jenna had long since realised that this woman was less than thrilled about her presence.
The elderly man ignored her.
“Until tomorrow.”
Javai gave a low bow before heading towards a long, stone passageway that led off from the room. Jenna was obviously expected to follow, as he did not slow down at all. Quickening her pace, Jenna soon found herself once again at her companion’s side. They walked in silence for several moments, climbing stairs and weaving through hallways. Jenna tried to examine her surroundings as they passed by, but with Javai’s effortless stride, and the heavy veil of darkness, that was practically impossible. She snuck furtive glances at her guide, but his eyes were always straight ahead. After many minutes had passed in this manner, Jenna decided it was a good idea to try to make some friendly conversation.
“So, Javai….that is your name right? What do you do around here?” It sounded false and completely inappropriate for the situation. “I mean, apart from rescuing former princesses hidden in New York.” She laughed, but it sounded hollow and a silence descended over them again.
‘I’m a knight. Of the Order of the Torolei.” The unexpected voice startled her, and she struggled to find a response.
“Oh, a knight? That sounds interesting….tell me about it.” It sounded like she was interviewing him for a job, and she silently cursed herself.
His eyes flickered over to hers briefly before returning to the path in front of them. By now, they had reached a narrow, wooden door-pierced in several places by rusty bolts. Javai reached for an oversized, metal doorknob and shoved the door open, which groaned loudly in protest. As it swung open, it revealed a world bathed in nighttime, more beautiful than any Jenna had ever seen.
The sky burned with hundreds of stars, so close Jenna believed if she reached up high enough she could touch them. The land that stretched before her eyes rose and dipped into a fascinating landscape. Even in the darkness, Jenna could make out the swaths of trees-seemingly stretching for miles-the vast mountains that climbed ever higher in the distance, and, at their feet, a glistening lake, its surface so still it shinned like silver, reflecting every star that shone down into it.
“Welcome to Arrazuole.” Javai’s voice broke her trance.
“It’s beautiful.” Jenna couldn’t find any other words to describe her feelings.
“Come, we should get to the hide-out. It isn’t safe here.” Jenna didn’t argue as Javai led them across a stone bridge, considerably worn with age and battle scars, so much so that Jenna wasn’t entirely sure that it would hold both their weights. With relief, they both made it to the other side.
“Where exactly are we going?” They began to head off in the direction of the trees, Javai seemingly having no trouble finding his way in the dark.
“Some place safe.” That appeared to be the only answer she would receive.
They trudged on through the tightly packed trees, the ground firm and solid beneath their feet. There was no obvious pathway. Jenna decided to try again.
“Is it much further?”
Javai paused for a moment and glanced at her over his shoulder.
“No.”
“A man of few words” thought Jenna. It turned out he was honest though, as they soon find themselves in a small clearing, with one wall of densely packed trees and a sprawling, twisted oak in the middle. Javai approached the tree cautiously and placed his palm on a smooth area of the bark. Jenna watched his lips move in a silent incantation. The evening must have really taken its toll on Jenna, for it didn’t even surprise her when the branches of the tree twisted and untangled themselves, moving up towards the sky, while the bark creaked as it slowly, slowly pulled itself apart, revealing a concealed stairwell inside the tree, leading down into the earth. Javai stepped aside to allow Jenna to pass first, and they made their descent, while the oak closed itself up behind them.


Chapter Twelve

Davidor’s palm caressed the ground beneath his feet. In the silence of the night, all around him were motionless. Generations of ancient traditions and knowledge enveloped his body, calming his mind and soothing his spirit. He concentrated all of his being onto the earth that lay before him, and summoned the wisdom of the thousands of forest-hunters who had come before him…
“Someone has been here….two people, and very recently.” Davidor’s thoughts echoed in his mind.
“What is it General?” One of his more eager knights spoke up, hustling forward to Davidor’s side.
“Two people have passed this way, on foot. Less than an hour ago I would suggest. One, very small and light….a woman no doubt. The other, small….yet powerful. A young man…perhaps even a knight.”
The two dozen strong legion listened intently, wondering how Davidor could have possibly concluded so much from, what looked to them, just a pile of dirt. But they had long since learnt not to doubt their general’s extraordinary abilities…
“What is the plan Sir?” The eager knight piped up again.
Davidor surveyed the castle ruins behind them and the vast woods that stretched before them. They had known for some time the main headquarters of the resistance lay within the old castle, but ancient charms and spells had prevented them from ever stumbling upon any actual visitors. Davidor knew it would also be useless to send his men into the woods after them. The trail went dead from here, and the enclosed trees ran for miles. The Uripidieus would know they were after them, and would by now have the woods under an enchantment in order to thwart them at every turn. Davidor did not like to waste his time on pointless missions….
However, this was no ordinary mission, and inaction was not an option. Though to succeed, he would need to enlist some re-enforcement, and he knew exactly who it would be….

Mokanishyo counted the drips of water as they rang off of the cold floor….
587, 588, 589…
Such was his boredom in his dismal cell that he often had to resort to the most tedious tasks in order to pass the time.
600, 601, 602…
The clank of metal bars reverberating off each other caused him to jump and lose his place. Damn, now he would have to start again.
1, 2, 3…
“I am pleased to see that you are using your time in here wisely.”
The deep voice sent the blood in Mokanishyo’s veins racing around his body, but he refused to show it. Remaining as he was, lying on his bed, hands clasped behind his head, eyes on the ceiling, he returned an unconcerned reply.
“Oh, the hours and days just fly by.”
Davidor turned a wrought iron key in one of the bars of Mokanishyo’s cell, then gently pushed it to one side, creating just enough space for him to squeeze inside. He didn’t bother to lock it behind him; they both knew it would be suicide for Mokanishyo to try to escape from Davidor.
Mokanishyo continued his intense study of the ceiling, as if his new roommate didn’t exist.
“I have a proposition for you.”
Mokanishyo faked a yawn, then turned bored eyes onto the intruder.
“Is that so? Well, as you can see, I’m swamped here.”
Davidor was not one for playing games. He leaned forward slowly, till his faces was inches from Mokanishyo’s.
“Do you want to get out of here or not?”
Mokanishyo met Davidor’s gaze head on.
“I’m listening.”
Satisfied that he now had a willing accomplice, Davidor leaned against the wall and presented his terms.
“Tonight, some dangerous rebels smuggled a girl into Arrazuole. A girl they claim is the daughter of the former Princess.” Davidor gave a harsh laugh. “Which is of course impossible, as all members of the Royal Family perished during the Night of the Great Liberation…”
Mokanishyo raised his eyebrows but said nothing.
“This girl is now somewhere in Arrazuole, no doubt being protected by some powerful magic and knights. I need you to find the girl, and whoever is protecting her, and bring them to me. Succeed, and your official pardon shall be granted. Fail, and I will personally feed your soul to the shadow knights myself.”
Mokanishyo mentally weighed up the two scenarios in his head. It was an attractive offer…
“How would you suggest I go about finding them?” Mokanishyo was no fool, he knew it was desperation that driven Davidor here. “I mean, if you’ve had no luck, what makes you think I’ll do any better?”
“They are somewhere in the woods, that I am certain of. It is imperative that they believe everything is going according to plan. If they see hundreds of knights swarming around, they will close their net even tighter. I need you to find these rebels, learn of their plans, and inform me at once. My knights will take it from there.”
Mokanishyo was still unsure whether this was really worth the risk.
“I repeat my first question. How, exactly, am I supposed to find them?”
Davidor’s lips twitched into a humourless smile.
“You have skills, why not put them to good use for once? Do we have an agreement?”
The two men remained in silence for some time. Mokanishyo’s eyes flickered around his cell, his bed, the drops of water still landing on the floor….it didn’t take him long to reach his decision.
“Sure, we have an agreement.”


 Return to Arrazuole (Part5)  (E)
a new york waitress discovers her destiny....
#1455730 by tag2412

© Copyright 2008 tag2412 (tag2412 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453387-Return-to-Arrazuole-Part4