*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453486-Passing-of-Summer
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #1453486
Mourning the passing of summer.
Author's Note:  I wrote this in September 2007 during a particularly summer-like spell of hot weather.  I was hoping for a break--not in Missouri.  *Smile*

         Normally, I'm not one who mourns the passing of any season. But for some reason, the passing of summer this year struck me as sad. Funny thing is, I just noticed we were a few days past Summer.

         Friends and family (especially my wife) would tell you that I'm a workaholic. Probably true, as I really love what I do--making things out of wood. I really don't view my job as a job. (Guess if I did, I might spend more time on the business side; you know, make more money.) But I digress.

         I walked out heading for work this morning at 5:45 a.m. into darkness, a little late 'cause I didn't hear my watch alarm this morning (must have been not getting to bed until after midnight). A light dew was on the car and the grass, the waxing moon was getting near full, and the one lighted streetlight was trying unsuccessfully to chase that darkness away.

         Just a few short (yes, very short) weeks ago, this time of day would have required no help from the moon or that streetlight. No sirree! No car lights, no streetlights and no house lights, just the rising sun bidding a fond hello to another day. Another day with a humidity of 125%, a day with the temperature rising faster than the school janitor raising the U.S. flag, and a long day at work without air conditioning.

         Come to think of it--what the heck took autumn so long to get here!


Word count:  258 
© Copyright 2008 JACE - House Targaryen (sybaritescribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453486-Passing-of-Summer