*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453690-The-Knife-of-the-British-Isles
Rated: ASR · Article · Educational · #1453690
In Team GBs entry for PWW.
If fate throws a knife at you, there are two ways of catching it - by the blade or by the handle.
-Oriental Proverb


Referring to the quotation above, I think it is a meaningful quote, conveying the spirit of “Carpe Diem.” – “Seize the Day.” Take life full on, grab the blade, never mind the consequences. Grasp firmly, never mind the cuts and pain, get over it. However, this is not for me, I will take the handle of the knife every time. I know knives, I know how they work, what they can do in the right hands and what they can do in the hands of the inexperienced.


When I saw this quotation, it took me back when I was young, cycling around various parts of England on my free weekends.  I used to come across small, dirt covered groups of enthusiastic amateur archaeologists digging with garden hand tools to uncover the  intriguing past of Great Britain.

There would be makeshift camps, tents and cooking areas. I found these camps to be safe places, hospitable and kind to a young girl cycling alone. I had more sense of adventure than sense. Sometimes I would get in the ditches with them and be shown the treasure they were unearthing.

I learned how important the knife was to the British, the Celts, the Romans and the  Saxons. I learned more history on these forays than I had ever learned in the many years of schooling. I learned to love this strange, beautiful, little island with its blend of peoples who braved the violent, icy seas that surround it.

Every Saxon, man, woman and child was buried with a knife beside them, no matter how young, so that they may have protection in the unknown life. In fact, their name Saxon derives from a north German word, Saxe, which, loosely translated means ‘knife.’ So a Saxon was a ‘knife man.’

The knives I saw were varied, some were thin blades hafted in hollow deer bone, carved quite beautifully, obviously with great skill and pride. The blades were sharply pointed, useful for spearing food. Others were curved at the end, vicious weapons of battle.

                                                **************************

The knife as a culinary tool is unsurpassed. Until the invention of the fork, it was used as an eating tool. When dining out, guests brought their own knife. Dining with others may have been fraught with danger, heated arguments not being uncommon around the dining tables of Britain. The fork did not become popular in England until the 18C; fingers, knife and a spoon being much more acceptable. Indeed, the fork was generally seen as an 'Italian' affectation and not much sought after.

The knife was much valued as a tool by most artisans through the centuries. Just about all tradesmen had their knives made, correctly weighted and balanced by a craftsman according to their special needs. To steal a man’s knife was to steal his livelihood.

                                                ***************************

When I was nine, my father took me to a specialist shop in Bristol to buy my first pocket knife. I had been yearning quietly for my own knife and finally I was to have one. There was much discussion with the owner, my hands were examined and measured, my wrists tested. Eventually a tray came  with an array of pocket knives, all beautifully inlaid, silver ends where initials could be stamped. I chose a plain one inlaid with deer horn. It had three blades; a thick one with a rounded end, for sharpening pencils, etc., a thin one, for more delicate use, and a hoof pick, not a blade as such, but rounded for its full length. The point was blunted and softened so the hoof was not damaged. The three blades slid elegantly into its casing.  There was a small clip on one end for hanging onto the belt.

                                            ******************************


I sometimes think that we Britons carved this very special land out of the seas with nothing more than determination and a knife in the hand of every person able to stand up and do it. I thought we still had the intestinal fortitude to carve our future, carve our place in the world as we have done so many times before. But do we?

On the 21st of July, I read in the Sydney Morning Herald that there was an increase in knife attacks in London. People now carry knives for protection. Those that have been a victim of a knife attack are more liable to attack another person with a knife. I carried knives when I hiked, or when I cycled. Not with a thought to protect myself, nor with the intent to harm another. I became proficient in knife usage, for making a shelter, gathering food, sometimes a small hare or rabbit for food. Never to harm another. A knife was part of my first aid kit. I’ve used it too, to release a sprained ankle from a boot, so that I may cool it in an icy stream, or to help another in a similar situation. Never with a thought to harm.

The knife has been, until recently, very much part of the daily dress of the British people. Indeed, the Scots still wear, with pride, the Sgian Dubh (also known as a dirk) with their national dress, the kilt.

                                            ******************************

The safe way to handle a knife is by its handle, when you carry it, the blade should be down alongside your leg, facing away from the direction in which you are walking. If you are going to handle the knife by the blade, you need to be rock steady, feet and body balanced. You also need to focus on where the blade is going, a flick of the wrist will send it accurately to its destination. The knife can be much more deadly than a bullet.The knife when not needed must be kept in a sheath. The blade is protected and so are you.

                                          ***********************************

It has always been said that Britain is a nation of shopkeepers, that was true, but with a strong Celt influence and the migration of many peoples to our shores – we always were a nation of excellent craftsmen in the way of knives, blades and swords.Our steel works were once the pride of the nation. “Sheffield Steel” was once the mark people looked for in their canteens of cutlery. We may need to put Steel into our backbones once again. I don’t see why not, we have done it before.

In literature, in our speech, the lore of the knife is ever present. I am sure you are able to think of a few cliches that refer to more than just the physical acts of using a knife. Here are a few to start you thinking.

"You cut me to the quick."

"Back stabbing."

"On a knife's edge."

Think of our great English works. This is just one example, I am sure you know of more:

Shakespeare had an everlasting love affair with the knife.

Consider his great Scottish tale of mystery, murder and intrigue; Macbeth. It is based on fact, made more memorable by his powerfully descriptive words.Where would "The Merchant of Venice" be without Portia demanding the pound of flesh be removed exactly as a pound of flesh, no more, no less. It wouldn't have been the same with a spoon or a fork.

I think of lovers carving their names in a great English Oak; their names or initials lasting longer than three or four generations beyond the loving pair.

The knife is a wonderful tool, a great partner for the tradesman, a blessing in the kitchen. Yet it is death in the hands of the foolhardy and the ignorant.



Word count:1285
© Copyright 2008 LIS - Here Again! (diddi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453690-The-Knife-of-the-British-Isles