*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1454108-Away-From-Home-Ep3-Acts-12-of-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Sci-fi · #1454108
the crew find a survivor on a damaged ship, but he's not what he seems.
ACT 1

OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN ON

A hallway in THE SHIP. TONY is through it hurriedly and SAM it behind him trying to catch up with him.

SAM
It is a good idea.

TONY
No it isn’t.

SAM
Yes it is.

TONY
No it isn’t.

SAM
Just think about it, ok?

TONY
I have thought about and I quickly came to the conclusion, that it isn’t a good idea.

SAM
Oh come on. At least discuss it with the others.

TONY suddenly stops and turns to SAM, who accidentally bumps into him.

TONY
Fine I’ll tell them about your idea, but I’ll bet ten credits that they will have the same thought as mine.

SAM
Fine it’s a bet.

They both shake hands and continue walking through the hallway.

INT THE SHIP-COCKPIT

JOANNA is sitting in her seat, watching the stars as THE SHIP passes them. INYRI is sitting in the co-pilot seat sleeping. SAM and TONY walk in.

SAM
So when are you gonna tell them

TONY
Later.

JOANNA turns around to face SAM and TONY.

JOANNA
Tell us what?

SAM
My idea of how to get more money.

TONY
Your bad idea.

JOANNA
Well, lets hear.

SAM smiles, TONY looks annoyed.

TONY
Sam’s idea for money is to pick up and transport some passengers.

SAM
And there’s nothing bad about that.

INYRI groans and stretches as she wakes up.

SAM
And we need to do something, what little money we have is gonna be gone soon.

JOANNA
She’s right about that. We need to do something and fast.

SAM
Right and picking up passengers is our best option.

TONY
No it ain’t.

INYRI looks at each of them confused.

INYRI
We picking up passengers?

TONY
No!

SAM
Why not?!

TONY
Because it’s a bad idea.

SAM
How is it?

TONY
For one we only have one free room left, so unless we pack them in the prison cells with Amy we can only have one or two passengers. And two we don’t exactly know what kind of people we might end up taking, they might try and kill us or take our ship or even both. I don’t know about you but I don’t wanna take that chance.

SAM looks embarrassed and INYRI and JOANNA stay silent.

SAM
I-I was just suggesting.

TONY
I know and its good that you’re thinking of ways to get money since need it bad. But try and think of a safer way.

SAM
Fine, I’ll give it a shot.

INYRI
Actually, not to get you any more angry than you are, but if we’re very careful we could get one or two passengers with good money.

JOANNA, SAM and TONY stare at INYRI, TONY in anger, JOANNA in wonder and SAM in appreciation.

JOANNA
Well when you say careful, just how careful we talking? Are we talking ‘keeping an eye on them’ careful, or ‘turn around so we can search you’ careful?

INYRI
Well, we can make sure that wherever they want to go is a short distance from where we pick them up. We can ask some questions about things. We can demand for their weapons. Anything we want, just to be safe.

TONY considers INYRI’S words. Then gives a look of reluctant resignation.

TONY
Alright fine-

SAM
(Raising her hands in triumph)
Yes! You owe me ten credits.

SAM opens her hand out to TONY as he smacks the ten credits into her hand.

TONY
But the first thing that goes wrong is your fault and responsibility.

SAM
Eye, eye Captain.

TONY leaves, shaking his head. SAM moves to stand between INYRI and JOANNA and leans on INYRI’S seat.

SAM
Thanks Inyri, I owe you one.

INYRI smiles and watches SAM leave.

INT THE SHIP-CARGO BAY

NATHAN and FURLIN are standing opposite ends of the CARGO BAY, NATHAN has a small red ball in his hand and tosses it to FURLIN. The ball bounces off the floor and FURLIN catches it easily. FURLIN tosses it back to NATHAN, who also catches it but with less ease.

FURLIN
So… what are we doing?

NATHAN
I think its pretty self explanatory.

NATHAN tosses it back, this time the ball went high and FURLIN jumps with his hand stretching upwards to catch it.

FURLIN
Well, yes we’re throwing a ball at each other. But my question is why?

NATHAN
‘cause its fun.

FURLIN
Fun?

NATHAN
Yeah.

FURLIN gives NATHAN a perplexed look.

NATHAN
You do know about fun right?

FURLIN
Not… really.

FURLIN tosses the ball back to NATHAN, who doesn’t catch it and follows it then picks it up and walks back to where he was before.

NATHAN
You don’t know fun?

FURLIN
No, is that bad?

NATHAN
Yeah! I mean everyone should know about fun and have it on a regular basis. How come you don’t?

KARGEN walks into the CARGO BAY behind FURLIN.

KARGEN
Because Maltarians never have the time to think of it.

FURLIN and NATHAN turn to KARGEN, surprised he is there.

NATHAN
What do you mean ‘never have time’?

FURLIN (embarrassed)
My people are very… busy people. Dealing with things that take up most of their time.

NATHAN
Like what?

FURLIN
… huge industry that needs working, worrying about new diseases that keep hitting our planets. Things like that.

KARGEN
You forgot wars.

FURLIN looks to the ground, ashamed.

NATHAN
Wars? As in wars plural?

FURLIN nods his head, still looking down.

KARGEN
Many species believed that Maltarians to be weak, easily destroyed. They believed that when they fight it will be over soon and they can take whatever they want.

FURLIN (proud)
But they were wrong, when the wars started we fought long and hard, longer than even my people thought. We won more than half the battles we came up against. In the end we won, our enemies gave up.

NATHAN
… not to sound too personal but… were you in any of these battles?

FURLIN
Yes.

NATHAN is shocked by this and is silent. Then he turns to KARGEN.

NATHAN
Were umm, were you involved in any of this?

KARGEN
(shaking his head)
No, my people, the Volcarians, did not become allies to the Maltarians until long after the wars ended.

NATHAN
… well I don’t know what to say except sorry.

FURLIN
(shrugging)
Don’t be, you weren’t around when it happened.

NATHAN
Yeah but still.

FURLIN
… well at least now I can learn fun from you guys.

NATHAN smiles uncertainly. They then returns to tossing the ball at each other, only this time they add KARGEN into the game.

INT THE SHIP-COCKPIT

INYRI is asleep again and JOANNA fighting to stay awake. JOANNA keeps moving around on the chair, trying to get comfortable until she finally stops.

SOUND: ALARM GOING OFF

JOANNA jerks awake at the sound, followed quickly by INYRI.

INYRI
What is it?

JOANNA
It’s the proximity alert, something is coming in close.

INYRI
Do you know what it is?

JOANNA checks the scans one at a time. Then looks at INYRI.

JOAANA
It’s a ship.

INYRI looks back at JOANNA, eyes wide and an expression of surprise on her face.

INYRI
A ship?

JOANNA
That’s what the scans say. It looks damaged as well.

TONY and NATHAN suddenly rush into the COCKPIT. Followed quickly by the rest of the crew.

TONY
What’s with the alarm.

JOANNA
A ship coming up close, it looks badly damaged.

NATHAN
A ship?

INYRI
That’s what I said earlier.

TONY
How badly is it damaged?

JOANNA
Bad enough for it to be just drifting.

SAM concerned)
Is there anyone alive on it?

JOANNA
Err… yep, there is one life sign on the ship, seems strong but that may change.

FURLIN
So what’re we going to do?

They all look at each waiting for an answer.

NATHAN
I say we leave.

SAM
What d’you mean leave?

NATHAN
Whoever, or whatever, attacked that ship may come back at any second, they see us and will think us to be another target.

KARGEN
I agree with Nathan, we don’t want any trouble.

SAM turns to TONY.

SAM
What’re we gonna do Captain.

TONY
Doc…
(ROGER turns to him)
… prep the Medi-Bay and await our return. We’re going in.

SAM smiles happily while KARGEN and NATHAN look irritated. JOANNA grabs the double-joystick control and manoeuvres THE SHIP to attach to the dead ship. TONY, NATHAN, FURLIN, ROGER and KARGEN leave the COCKPIT.

NATHAN
Captain, not to make you angry at me or anything, but what are we doing?

TONY
Playing the good Samaritan.

INT DAMAGED SHIP-ENTRANCE

TONY, NATHAN, FURLIN, ROGER and KARGEN are just inside the DAMAGED SHIP, they each have a light. The DAMAGED SHIP is almost completely dark and sparks are flying at the other end of a hall. Items and ship parts scattered all over the floor, some are dangling from the walls.

TONY
Hey Jo can you guys hear me?

JOANNA (over Comm. System)
Loud and clear Captain. How bad does it look in there?

TONY
Very. I don’t think this ship is gonna be going anywhere any time soon.

JOANNA (over Comm. System)
Shame. Well if you guys keep going in the direction you’re going you’ll get to the survivor.

TONY
Thanks Jo.

They walk slowly in the direction JOANNA suggested, moving things out of their way as they went past. They walk through an open doorway in another smaller HALLWAY, which has similar damage along the walls and ceiling, and two closed doors at the other end. One straight ahead and the other on a left side wall next to it. There are boxes ripped open and it’s contents spewed on the floor around it.

NATHAN
Whoever did this clearly weren’t looking for things to steal.

FURLIN
Why’d you say that?

NATHAN
‘cause there’s lots of things here that would be of some use.

KARGEN
So you’re saying that this wasn’t for what’s on this ship, but maybe who.

NATHAN
Possibly.

FURLIN
Why would they go after someone?

KARGEN
There are many reasons, maybe whoever is here did something bad to whoever or whatever attacked him, or her.

TONY
If that’s the case then they still would of taken some of this stuff.

They come up to the closed door and KARGEN tries to open it, the door doesn’t budge.
KARGEN
It won’t move, its stuck.

KARGEN tries again, this time with the help of NATHAN and TONY. It still doesn’t move. TONY lets out a slow breath.

TONY
Hey Jo, is there another way in?

JOANNA (over Comm. System)
Let me check.

TONY waits in silence while JOANNA, INYRI and SAM check. NATHAN, KARGEN, FURLIN and ROGER keep trying to open the door.

INYRI (over Comm. System)
There is another door into that room, go through the side door then turn right and keep going till you see another door on the right hand side, that’ll lead you in if it can be opened.

TONY
Thanks Inyri.

They follow INYRI’S directions until they come up to another door, NATHAN and KARGEN try to open this one and after a hard push, the door slides open. The room inside is pitch black aside from the occasional spark flying. In the centre of the room is a large chair with its back to them. There are several screens in front of the chair, some of them are flickering on and of while the rest are off completely. The mess in this room is not as bad as the hallways they past. One by one they slowly step into the room shining their lights around the room.

JOANNA (over Comm. System)
Are you guys in?

They all jump at the sound of her voice.

ROGER
Yes Jo we’re in.

FURLIN shines his light on a large console up against the wall near the door, some of the lights are flickering on and off rapidly, most of them are working fine. He walks over to it and operates it.

NATHAN
What are you doing?

FURLIN
I’m gonna search for the log entries, maybe I can find out what attacked this ship.

FURLIN operates the console for a short time, then looks confused.

TONY
What is it? Are there no entries about the attack?

FURLIN
… no, there are none.

TONY
None about the attack.

FURLIN
No. none at all.

KARGEN
What?

NATHAN
None at all?

FURLIN
That’s what it says.

KARGEN
You must have done something wrong.

KARGEN moves to the console and nudges FURLIN out his way.

FURLIN
Hey!

KARGEN operates the console for the same amount of time as FURLIN did, then gives an angry expression.

FURLIN
Told you.

KARGEN
Something must be wrong with it.

ROGER moves to the chair and shines his light on it, he looks up to TONY.

ROGER
Captain.

TONY, NATHAN and FURLIN look over to ROGER.

TONY
What’ve you found?

ROGER
Our survivor.

They all move and stand around ROGER an the chair. KARGEN looks surprised. On the chair is an unconscious Volcarian man with blood on the side of his face.

INT THE SHIP-MEDI-BAY

The survivor is lying on a hospital bed. ROGER, KARGEN and TONY are standing around him. The others are out in the hall looking in through the three small windows. The survivor’s top has been cut open by ROGER, there are a few bruises and shallow cuts on his chest and stomach. There is also a bullet wound on his left leg. ROGER cleans up the blood on the survivor’s face and bandages the cuts, then digs out the small bullet and bandages the leg. When he is finished he, TONY and KARGEN join the others outside.

SAM
Is he gonna be ok?

They all turn to ROGER.

ROGER
Yeah, he’s gonna be ok, he’ll need a couple days rest and he’ll need to keep weight off his injured leg for a while but he’ll live.

SAM sighs in relief, as does KARGEN. ROGER looks towards the survivor thoughtfully.

SAM
What you thinking about doc.?

ROGER
Its just the bullet that troubles me.

JOANNA
Why’s that?

ROGER
Well, not only is it the worst of his injuries its also in a weird angle. Almost as if whoever shot him was right up to him.

JOANNA
Maybe whoever attacked him snuck up on him and shot him up close.

ROGER
Maybe. But if that’s the case then he must have noticed them and turned just before he was shot.

TONY
What gives you that idea?

ROGER
The projection of the bullet says this guy was facing the attacker when it happened.

TONY nods his head, his eyes darting to the survivor for a second before turning back to ROGER.

TONY
Keep at him doc. Any changes tell me, no matter how small.

INYRI
What about the guy’s ship?

TONY
What about it?

INYRI
Well what are we gonna do with it?

TONY
We’re gonna stay here until he wakes up
(points to the survivor)
Then he can figure out what he wants to with it.

INYRI and SAM nod their heads, cheery smiles on their faces. One by one they all quickly leave until KARGEN is the only one left staring at the survivor. ROGER follows TONY.

ROGER
Hey Captain, wait up.

TONY stops and turns around until ROGER catches up with him, then they continue down a HALLWAY side-by-side.

TONY
What’s on your mind doc.?

ROGER
I wanna talk to you… about Amy.

TONY
What about her? Has she tried hurting anyone?!

ROGER
(raising his hands calmingly)
No, no, nothing like that. Its just, I wanna ask you a favour.

TONY (suspicious)
And what might this favour be?

ROGER
Well… this favour is…that I’d like to know if it is ok that…
(sigh)
That Amy be let out her cell.

TONY and ROGER suddenly stops, TONY looks at ROPGER wide-eyed and open-mouthed.

TONY
Are you freaking serious?!

ROGER
Well-

TONY
You are serious, aren’t you?

ROGER
Yes but-

TONY
Oh good god! That’s just dumb. You want me to let a known criminal out of her cell?!

ROGER
Its not like she knows where to go, she’s as lost as the rest of us. You never know, she may be of some use.

TONY
I might as well give her a loaded gun as well.

ROGER
Oh come on, just think it over man. Its all I’m asking.

The two of them are silent for a moment, TONY closes his eyes and covers his eyes with both his hands for a while then lowers them and opens his eyes. ROGER gives TONY a hopeful look.

TONY
… alright, we’ll give her a test.

ROGER
Test?

TONY
She can be out her cell for an entire day, but her hands will stay cuffed. If she gets along with us without trying anything she can stay out.

ROGER
Thank you.

TONY points at ROGER warningly.

TONY
But anything happens, anything at all, then she goes back in.

ROGER
Goes without saying.

ROGER walks away with a thankful smile. TONY leans on the wall, nervous.

INT THE SHIP-ENGINE ROOM

SAM is standing in the far left, checking the fuel gauge, she has dried oil on her hands and her face. She is happily whistling a tune.

SOUND: FOOTFALLS GETTING CLOSER

SAM turns to the door just as INYRI enters the ENGINE ROOM. INYRI sees the dried oil on SAM and looks a little worried.

SAM
What?

INYRI gestures to SAM’S hands and face, SAM looks down to her hands then back up to INYRI.

SAM
(chuckling)
Yeah, I’m a mess I know. But it comes with the work.

INYRI
You look like that everyday?

SAM
Not every day no.

INYRI steps further into the ENGINE ROOM, closer to SAM.

INYRI
What were you doing when you got messy?

SAM
Oh I was filling her up with fuel. She was pretty low.

INYRI (confused)
Her?

SAM
Hmm?

INYRI
You called the engine, her.

SAM
Yeah. I always have.

INYRI
Why?

SAM
(shrugging)
I don’t know, Humans have always called things like this a ‘she’.

INYRI
Huh.

INYRI ahead at nothing with a thoughtful expression. SAM goes back to the fuel gauge and sees that it is full.

SAM
Well to change the subject, what do you think of the guy we found?

INYRI looks back to SAM.

INYRI
I’m not sure, we’ll be able to find out what happened to him when he’s awake.

SAM
Did you see the way Kargen was acting?

INYRI
No, why?

SAM
Well he was acting as if he was worried about the guy.

INYRI
He was?

SAM moves to the door, wiping the sweat from her head with her arm. She gets a dirty cloth and wipes her hands, it doesn’t help much with the dry oil but she does not mind.

SAM
Yeah.

INYRI
… well they are the same species, maybe that’s why Kargen cares.

SAM
Maybe.

INYRI
(smiling)
Well as I said before, we’ll find out soon.

INT THE SHIP-MEDI-BAY

KARGEN is still outside the MEDI-BAY staring at the survivor, who has not moved at all. KARGEN looks both worried and hopeful. After some hesitation he enters the MEDI-BAY and stands up close to the survivor then leans down to him.

KARGEN
Wake up. Wake up Malkee.

MALKEE (the survivor) suddenly opens his eyes and grabs KARGEN by the neck, choking him.

KARGEN
Malkee!… malkee!

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT 1

ACT 2

INT THE SHIP-MEDI-BAY

KARGEN tries to dislodge MALKEE’S hand from his neck. A look of rage is on MALKEE’S face as he stares at KARGEN.

KARGEN
(choking)
Malkee… its me Kargen!

MALKEE ignores KARGEN and continues to choke him. KARGEN hits him several times until finally he lets go, his arms slumping down. KARGEN badly coughs several times until he regains control of his breathing. MALKEE’S look of rage is replaced by dizziness and confusion. KARGEN goes to the Comms.

KARGEN (urgent)
Everyone come to Medi-bay now!

INT THE SHIP-MEDI-BAY MOMENTS LATER

The crew is gathered around MALKEE. TONY is standing in the middle with his arms crossed over his chest, to the left of him is JOANNA and to the right is NATHAN. SAM, FURLIN and INYRI are by the door. KARGEN, who is standing close to MALKEE but not too close, is rubbing his sore neck.

ROGER
Want me to help you with that?

KARGEN shakes his head but then winces.

KARGEN
No, no I’m fine.

ROGER nods his head.

TONY
So…

Everyone’s attention focuses on TONY and MALKEE.

TONY
… tell us what happened.

MALKEE looks at each of them, finally resting on KARGEN before turning back to TONY. He takes several deep calming breaths.

MALKEE
It all happened so fast. We were travelling to a small inhabited moon to relax there for the coming week.

TONY
We?

MALKEE
I and seven others.

TONY nods his head in understanding. KARGEN gives MALKEE a suspicious look for a moment before returning to normal.

MALKEE
Everything was going fine until yesterday. We found that a group of Blargian ships were heading straight for us. Before we could do anything they attacked us, crippled us almost instantly…
(beat)
…the others, they died shortly after.

SAM (sad)
That’s terrible.

INYRI
Yes it is.

MALKKE
Thank you, all of you.

NATHAN
Ho did you survive?

MALKEE
… I-I don’t know h-how I survived. I kept low and tried to move the ship out the way but that didn’t help…

NATHAN leans towards TONY.

NATHAN (whispering)
That might explain him being on the chair.

NATHAN moves away from TONY. TONY nods his head.

MALKEE
… they just kept on coming none stop for so long.

KARGEN
So why did they stop?

MALKEE
I don’t know, I got hit on the head and was unconscious before they stopped.

TONY
Then we found you.

MALKEE quickly nods his head. KARGEN’S look of suspicion returns, this time for longer, but no one sees. MALKEE’S eyes dart around the others, nervous clear in his eyes, but that goes away in an instant. But both KARGEN, NATHAN and TONY notice it but say nothing.

TONY
Alright here’s what we’ll do, you’ll stay in here for a while until our doctor says you’re ok.

TONY gestures to ROGER, MALKEE looks over at ROGER and nods his head then turns back to TONY.

TONY
Meanwhile, we’ll take you to where you were going before this happened and drop you off. You can decide yourself what you’re gonna do then.

MALKEE
Thank you Captain.

All but ROGER and MALKEE exit the MEDI-BAY. JOANNA and INYRI head towards the COCKPIT, while SAM and FURLIN head in the direction of the ENGINE ROOM. TONY, NATHAN and KARGEN walk for a short distance until they could no longer see the MEDI-BAY then stop.

TONY
Anyone believe that?

NATHAN and KARGEN both shake their heads.

NATHAN
He seemed nervous when he told his story.

KARGEN
Some parts may be believable but there are several things obviously untrue.

TONY
Which parts?

KARGEN
According to him, the attack happened yesterday by Blargian ships. But it were true then his ship would have severely less damage than it does.

NATHAN
How’s that?

KARGEN
Blargains are well known as the weak species when it comes to weaponry. It would have taken then a lot longer for them to do that much damage.

TONY
Any other known lies.

NATHAN
Yeah, where are the bodies?

TONY
What bodies?

NATHAN
Well he said he was with seven others who all died, so where are the bodies?

TONY
That’s a good point.

KARGEN
But why would he lie?

TONY
I don’t know but I say we wait a while before we find out.

NATHAN
Why wait? Lets just go and confront him now.

TONY
No, we wait for now. I wanna find out what this guy wants first.

NATHAN is about to argue but TONY raises his right hand to silence him.

TONY
When we figure out what he wants we can deal with him then but not before. Who knows there may even be more like him.

NATHAN and KARGEN nod in agreement.

KARGEN
What’re we gonna tell the others?

TONY
Nothing yet we don’t wanna get them all panicky for nothing just yet, once we know what we need we’ll give them the news update.

The three of them continue walking.

INT THE SHIP-HALLWAY

SAM is walking offhandedly through the HALLWAY, towards the CREW QUARTERS. All of them were closed, all except KARGEN’S room door, which is open only slightly. SAM, getting curious, walks slowly over to KARGEN’S room, she takes several looks around before entering KARGEN’S ROOM. The room is untidy, most of KARGEN’S belongings are scattered aimlessly around the floor. SAM shakes her head and turns to leave, but before she leaves she sees the circular metal object. She goes to the bed and picks it up, she fiddles with it for a while and suddenly the message starts playing. She jumps back and drops the object, then as she calms down she listens to the message, her expression changing to surprise and fear. When the message ends she picks it up and rushes out KARGEN’S ROOM.

SAM
This is so bad, this is so bad. This is so…

INT THE SHIP-MEDI-BAY

MALKEE
Stupid, I am fine now so why can’t I leave?

MALKEE is still on the hospital bed but now he is sitting with his good leg dangling over the side. ROGER is a few feet from him readying a sedative.

ROGER
You cannot leave yet because any weight put on your injured leg could seriously damage it.

MALKEE
Come on I’ll be fine, nothing bad is gonna happen.

ROGER
And the reason nothing bad is gonna happen is because you aren’t leaving yet.

ROGER walks to MALKEE, and gives him the sedative. MALKEE snorts at ROGER’S remark but the becomes woozy and falls asleep, ROGER lifts his good leg and places it on the hospital bed next to his other leg, then leaves the MEDI-BAY with a sigh of relief.

INT THE SHIP-DINING AREA

TONY, NATHAN and KARGEN are sitting around the table talking quietly to each other.

KARGEN
I’ll stay close to him, since he is a Volcarian like me he might trust me more.

TONY
Good, try and get whatever he’s hiding out of him.

KARGEN
I’ll give it my best.

ROGER walks in the DINING AREA and TONY, NATHAN and KARGEN instantly become quiet. ROGER gets a glass and goes to the sink, fills it with water and drinks it all, ending with a satisfied sigh.

TONY
How’s our patient?

ROGER
Annoying.

TONY
What’s he doing?

ROGER
He’s saying that he can leave the Medi-Bay, says he’s fine. He’s being stupid and wants to walk on his bad leg.

NATHAN
Is it still bad?

ROGER
As far as I can its nowhere near healed.

NATHAN
Then where’s he going in such a hurry?

ROGER
Didn’t say, just kept telling me he’s fine.

TONY, NATHAN and KARGEN look at each other for a moment before turning back to ROGER.

KARGEN
What’s he doing now?

ROGER
Oh don’t worry, I doped him before I left the Medi-Bay.

TONY
Good, keep him that way for a while.

ROGER
No complaints from here.

ROGER leaves just as SAM enters the DINING AREA.

ROGER
Hey Sam.

SAM (distracted)
Hey doc.

ROGER notices her look but just keeps walking. SAM walks up to the table and looks at KARGEN who stares back confused.

TONY
What’s up Sam?

SAM
Perhaps Kargen here
(gestures to KARGEN)
would like to explain this.

SAM tosses the circular metal object onto the table, it bounces once then lands near NATHAN, KARGEN sees it and he becomes afraid. TONY and NATHAN look up at SAM

TONY
What err what’s this?

SAM
I found it in Kargen’s room-

KARGEN
What were you doing in my room?

NATHAN
Yeah.

SAM
That’s not the issue here, the issue is what that is.

TONY
And what is it?

SAM looks at KARGEN

SAM
Why don’t you tell ‘em.

NATHAN (firmly)
Tell us what?

SAM leans forward on the table and activates the object, starting the device. KARGEN tries to stop her but it is too late and the message starts.

MAN ON SCREEN
This is a message to anyone among you that wishes to be safe. There is a fugitive amongst you, this fugitive is worth a great deal. Bring him back to us if you want to gain riches. This fugitives name… is Kargen Mallis, he is vile criminal…

SAM end the message and there is an uncomfortable silence in the DINING AREA. KARGEN is looking down at his own feet, his hands on the table.

NATHAN
… what the hell did I just see?

TONY
Is it true?

KARGEN is silent for a time and then slowly just nods his head, not looking up.

NATHAN
So to put it simply you are a wanted man, on the run for God knows how long. And you were gonna tell us when?

Again KARGEN just nods, this time looking up.

NATHAN
Well that’s just swell ain’t it. I’ve been spending most my time here worryin’ ‘bout one prisoner escaping when there was another one already out in the open.

KARGEN looks away from them staring at nothing in particular.

SAM
How long you bin on the run?

KARGEN
Five months before we met.

TONY
That’s quite a long time to be runnin’.

KARGEN nods for the third time. TONY picks up the circular metal object.

TONY
Take this back to your room and do whatever with it, I don’t care what you do after that, just stay away from the Medi-Bay. Once this business with this Malkee guy is over I’ll think of what to do.

TONY tosses the metal object to KARGEN, who catches it easily. NATHAN looks angry. KARGEN wastes no time as he gets off the chair and leaves.

SAM
Cap’n you sure you know what you’re doing?

NATHAN
He doesn’t he’s gone crazy.

TONY
I know what I’m doing.

NATHAN (firmly)
Bollucks!

SAM
Nathan.

NATHAN
What? You two seriously expect me to walk around this ship all giddy and la-di-da when a known criminal is here walking free?

SAM
… no offence Cap’n but Nathan’s got a point there.

NATHAN
Thank you.

TONY
Nathan, right at this moment we have another problem that we can deal with first, then as I said before, I’ll handle it.

NATHAN opens his mouth to argue more but soon closes it again, then angrily walks out. He goes past SAM being careful not to hit her. Neither SAM or TONY talk for a while, they just look around the room not at each other, then SAM finally looks at TONY.

SAM
What did you mean before?

TONY
Before when?

SAM
When you told Nathan you have another problem, what did you mean? what other problem?

TONY looks aggravated with himself at his own stupidity.

TONY
Its nothing important.

SAM
Well it certainly seemed so.

TONY
… we, as in me Nathan and Kargen, belive that our patient may be… giving false information.

SAM
Lying his ass off in other words.

TONY
If you wanna put it like that then yes he is lying his ass off.

SAM
But why?

TONY
That’s what we’re trying to figure out.

SAM nods her head and leaves the DINING AREA. TONY sit’s a while in thought.

INT THE SHIP-AMY’S CELL

ROGER opens the door and walks into the cell but doesn’t close it. AMY is lying on the far side of her bed.

AMY
Well doc. This is becoming a regular thing with you, visiting the prisoner.

ROGER
Want me to stop?

AMY
Would you stop if I said yes?

ROGER
Yes.

AMY
Is that true or what you think I want to hear?

ROGER
You always ask this many questions?

AMY
I’m inquisitive by nature, its one of my strengths.

They both laugh at this for a while and when it dies down there is a nervous silence between them.

AMY
So, what you doin’ here this time doc?

ROGER
I’m here to give you some news

AMY
Ooh maybe after that you can give me weather reports too.

ROGER
Don’t make jokes this is good news.

AMY
Alright sorry, sorry. What’s the news?

ROGER
Well Captain has agreed that you will have time, outside your little cell here.

AMY just lays there very still for a moment. Shock evidently on her face.

ROGER
Are you gonna say something?

AMY
… l-like w-what?

ROGER
I don’t know? How ’bout ’oh my God’ or maybe a ’thanks doc’ or something.

AMY
The Cap’n’s actually agreed to let me out? How?

ROGER
Well I did ask him and after a while he said ok.

AMY
Holy shit!

ROGER
That’s more like it.

AMY
He’s really letting me out? For how long?

ROGER
Well first it’ll be a little test, you know see how much of a bad girl you’ll be with the others. If all goes well you might be out permanently.

AMY jumps out the bed waving her cuffed arms about.

AMY
WOOHOO!!

ROGER
See I said this is good news

AMY
Yes it is, thank you for it.

ROGER
Ok, I’ll be back to let you out.

AMY
Can’t wait.

AMY falls back on her bed with a happy sigh as ROGER leaves her cell and closes the door on his way out.

INT THE SHIP-MEDI-BAY

The MEDI-BAY is empty except for MALKEE, who is still asleep. Suddenly MALKEE wakes up with a start, he looks around the room and looks satisfied that no one else is there. He gets off the hospital bed and heads out the door.

MALKKE
Now to get what I came for.


FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT 2

© Copyright 2008 F. Owens (angelus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1454108-Away-From-Home-Ep3-Acts-12-of-3