*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455060-TIPS-FOR-SAVING-DURING-GAS-PRICE-HIKES
Rated: E · Article · Finance · #1455060
Tips for saving money during the high gas price hikes. What we do to save money.
I have gathered my thoughts and come up with ideas of how to save money during the high gas hikes, and I am sharing them here ~

My partner and I are both senior citizens and watch our diets carefully, so we pretty much have been doing that for quite awhile. We hardly ever over eat anything. Our only splurging would be when we do eat out. We only eat at places that are not going to be over thirty dollars for just the two of us.

We eat a lot of sandwiches in the summertime. You might call them Reubens by the time we get done loading the goodies on. We love sauerkraut on our sandwiches.

We tend to have more homemade soups throughout the winter months. We love just ham, carrot and celery. We also love cabbage in our soups. One of our favorites is just plain 'ole' split pea with carrot. I doubt that kids would relish these soups, however.

One of our favorites is

Chicken Pho Noodle Soup

Boil a chicken breast, in enough water to cover.

ADD to boiling water:

1/4 th. teaspoon coriander
1/4 th. teaspoon celantro
2 whole cloves
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 garlic clove
one or two chicken bouillon cubes to taste.
Slice about one inch of ginger root


Boil for 20 minutes.

Take chicken out and let it cool. Then dice the chicken.

Add a can of chicken broth to the broth you already have. Let it simmer on low heat for an hour.

Let it cool if you see excess oil on top. Take fat off the top. Then strain broth through a cheesecloth or strainer.

Cook rice noodles or Chinese egg noodles. Serve in a bowl with re-heated hot broth over the top of hot noodles. Add the diced chicken.

Garnish with shaved onion, and shaved bell pepper. Top off with hard boiled egg sliced in halve.

ENJOY!!!



There is one that my grandkids love when they come, and that is -

Red Potato, Bacon & Green Bean Soup:

Dice a package of bacon in half inch strips, chop a medium or large onion, throw in about a dozen or so small red potatoes and a bag of fresh green beans. You don't even have to cut those beans up unless you want too! We prefer them whole.

Season to taste. Cook it all in the same pot with enough water to cover for about one hour. You can scoop the excess fat off the top of it.

The longer it sets the more FLAVORABLE it becomes!*Delight*

It will feed a houseful and you may even have enough left over for the next day!

We save about $45 a month by doing this. We rent NetFlix movies and TV Series on DVD's now and have them delivered in our mail then we send them back at no extra cost to us. We never rent DVD's from the store any longer.

Saves on gas too!*Bigsmile*

We found a way to cut cost on prescription drugs also. With him he gets his prescriptions filled at Costco's Pharmacy. They are cheaper in the long run than say Walmart, because they(Costco) disperse a three month supply at once instead of only a one month supply like Walmart and elsewhere. That can not only be cheaper for certain medicines, but also saves on those trips to the drugstore every month and cuts gas costs!

I might add also that I quit smoking due to some health issues. I am saving at the very least seventy - five dollars a month!

These are just a few of the ways that we have cut corners to save on big spending during the course of the continued Gas Hike Prices.

I hope you find this helpful!



© Copyright 2008 ShiShad (shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455060-TIPS-FOR-SAVING-DURING-GAS-PRICE-HIKES