*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1456794-First-Date
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1456794
Flash fiction: Keb's first date goes well in spite of himself.
Check your breath.  Don’t stare at her breasts.  Keep it cool. Keb went over all the first date advice given to him.  God, he hoped his deodorant delivered on its promise of dryness and his heat wouldn’t fog up the car windows. 

“So what made you decide to ask me out?” Rachel broke the silence.  Keb nervously smiled at her, her caramel eyes and red glittered lips giving him pause.  He squeezed hard on the steering wheel.  The aroma of mandarin perfume surrounded her and Keb caught his eyes before they wandered to her chest.  He refocused on the road.  Stupid eyes!

“I’ve had a crush on you ever since we came back from summer vacation.”

“You mean since the twins grew up,” Rachel said, bouncing her cleavage with a cupping motion.  Oh shit, Keb thought as his neck heated.  Rachel laughed and exposed her dimples.  “I’m just messing with you.”

Keb wryly smiled and fiddled with the radio.  Suddenly the cabin echoed with womanly moans and a throaty ballad.  Of course he’d stumble upon an R. Kelly song with his luck.  Stupid.

He shakily tried to fumble with the controls again when the car filled with yellow light as intense as the sun.  Only a split second kept the oncoming truck from ramming them.  Too late, Keb honked his horn and pulled over to check on his date.

Rachel clawed at her wet cheeks and jerked away from Keb’s hand.  After a few deep breaths she regained her composure.

“My sister and her husband were killed by a drunk driver,” she whimpered.  “They loved each other so much.  My mom says they were holding hands when they died.”

“I'm so sorry.  Look, I’ll take you home,” Keb said as he prepared to turn around.

“No.”  Rachel grabbed his hand and held it.  “Let’s go to the movies.”
© Copyright 2008 lucretius (snoopylc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1456794-First-Date