*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457237-Simple-Times-Part-II
Rated: 13+ · Column · Political · #1457237
Can you stand in the sand?
Here I am once again trying to sort out in my mind the differences between the simple times and the easier times. Sometimes our personal reflections yearn for the times that were simple and seemingly less complicated. But were they really so? Both phases of our generation have had difficult and trying times and experience. In our younger years we had the Cold War and today we and our children are faced with the Global War on Terror. At least during the cold war we had a clear and defined enemy that could be identified by the uniform he wore, the plane he flew or the tank that was to cross the battlefields of Europe. One, a war based on the fear of nuclear holocaust and global domination. The other, a war of deeply embedded religious beliefs. This war, while often fought out in society or out of sight has been carried out for thousands of years. Today's conflict finds our brothers and sisters and sons and daughters spread out across the desert in an often hostile environment. We have no clear vision of our enemy, no clear line if embarkation. In most cases we operate day to day wondering just who the enemy is. We know they are fanatical and hide behind their beliefs and women and little children. They spread hate and fear among their own people and are cowards afraid to come out into the light. Our brothers and sisters patrol the streets and roads wondering who will strike out at them next. Will it be the man selling the Genuine Fake Rolex, the cab driver or the woman carrying her goods to the market? Never mind that probably 98% of these people are just like you and I. They are different from us in their beliefs, tradition and religion yet they are the same. They work all day and night trying to make a living and support their family. Their children go to school, the mall, movies and play soccer. It is the few that wish to destroy their society and more. The fanatics that should not be afforded any quarter. No trial, No Gitmo, No Publicity! They are a hazard to all society whether here in the desert or at home where YOU feel so safe. Show them no quarter here or they will be in YOUR town and at YOUR market spreading their hate and destruction. The anti-war protesters and liberals at home dont understand the fear and uncertainty that our brothers and sisters face everyday. They have no clue other than office politics what it is like to not know who your enemy is. They only know that it took too long to get their precious Starbucks. So while you sit at home and debate what you consider is right and wrong, we will continue to stand in the sand and defend the innocent and the weak. We will do it before we find them at our homes. We will do it carrying the great battle flag "DON'T TREAD ON ME" in our hearts and minds. We will do it for the innocent, our wives, mothers, brothers, sisters, children and our great country.
So, I sit here still filled with emotion realizing that while as subtly brutal the cold war was.....it was a simpler time. PEACE OUT!
© Copyright 2008 duststorm2012 (mike2012 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457237-Simple-Times-Part-II