*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1458381-Braving-the-Rapids
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #1458381
Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.
A very special thank you to Carolina Blue for presenting me with my first Awardicon for this entry. You are a wonderful mentor and a dear friend.*Heart*


As Kendra exited her maroon Saturn, she drew in a deep breath and closed her eyes. She loved the earthy aroma and the fresh scent of the fir trees that withstood the harsh winter months in this rugged terrain. The crisp mountain air was a welcome relief from the dry, scorching heat she had abandoned nearly four thousand feet below. This was her favorite trailhead, and she came here often to escape the pressures and mundanity that plagued her daily life.

Kendra began down the familiar path, content to walk alone. She revered quiet and solitude and longed for a simple and peaceful life. Here, she could have that, if only for a few hours. She would pass an occasional hiker, smile and nod and then continue walking on in silence. She sometimes encountered wildlife and always paused to admire God's beautiful creatures. Though there were warnings of mountain lions and black bears in the area, she had never encountered one and felt reasonably certain she had nothing to fear from these timid animals.

Oddly enough, she did have a fear of the rapids. There was a point where the trail ended, with only one way to reach the other side. It was here, that she always turned around to return to the trailhead. She was curious about what might lie ahead and had tried to cross on a few occasions. Each time, she had slipped on a mossy stone, or tripped over a crag. She would return to her car cold, wet, bruised, scraped and though no one else saw, humiliated and ashamed. She would make the winding drive home and wash away the grime, launder her clothes and tend to her injuries before anyone else noticed. Past experience had taught her to view what she could from this vantage point, but to go no further.

On this particular day, she met up with another hiker. This wasn't unusual until he actually stopped to introduce himself. His name was Max, and he wondered if she would mind if they walked together for a while. He had a charming smile, laughing eyes and a pleasant demeanor. Though she couldn't put her finger on it, there was a familiarity about him, something that she liked. She agreed and they continued on the path together.

They talked at first about music, movies and books. Kendra felt at ease talking to this friendly stranger and soon they were talking about regrets for having not achieved their full potential, dreams, goals and perspectives about life in general. For periods of time, they would walk saying nothing at all and yet, she felt a certain contentment in his presence.

Eventually, they reached the rapids. Max stepped across confidently and seemingly effortlessly. Kendra froze, paralyzed and afraid. She wanted desparately to continue on this journey, to see what lay on the other side and to learn more about Max. Yet, she couldn't seem to overcome her fear. He reached out his hand and encouraged her. She stood, motionless. How could she risk crossing and humiliating herself in front of this intriguing man? She reached out a couple of times, each time pulling her hand back, afraid of slipping once again.

She could see that Max was eager to move on and yet, he countinued to reach out his hand and encourage her. After Kendra repeatedly stepped out towards the rapids and then withdrew, Max came back to her side. He placed his arm around her, and guided her slowly across, supporting her as the slippery rocks threatened to take them both down. When they reached the other side, she laughed nervously. She had finally reached the other side, dry and unscathed. She felt invigorated and grateful for her new friend.

They continued on and soon the rugged terrain opened up to tundra, a colorful display of delicate wildflowers blooming in the sunlight and small patches of snow dotting the landscape. She marveled at the beauty and felt more alive than she had in years. She was grateful for Max's companionship and couldn't imagine sharing this experience with anyone else.

They continued on the path together. They came across an occasional crag in the path or another small rapids to cross, but to Kendra, each obstacle seemed insignificant with Max by her side. With his help, she had braved the rapids and there was nothing else to fear.
© Copyright 2008 Iowegian Skye (iowegianskye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1458381-Braving-the-Rapids