*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1458578-The-Drakon-Core
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Novel · Sci-fi · #1458578
Maryla, a MysticMage, for the Drakon Core sees chaos everywhere, but destiny awaits her!!!
The Drakon Core
By:

J. R. Urie




Dialog


In 1107 circa, a commercial dracoeing slowly landed on a pad in mid-fall even though it didn't look it. Saudragi Ae'ba is one the few places that any Amarikan would take, but for one person it was a business trip. A trip that he gladly accepted despite their reasons to bring him out to the deserted country.
Following a large crowd of Ar'beks out of the dracoeing, a hot blast of air struck him in the face. He immediately felt the stifling heat that caused him to gasp for more air. It was like there was no air at all. Scanning the aeroport, he noticed a sleek dragsine parked away from the crowd with two mini-flags of its country symbols. In that instant, he wondered what was the real reason why they brought him here in the first place. He did not know since he was just a governor of a state and not the president of the Amarikas nation.
After a moment, he noticed that a crowd of Ar'beks begin to become frustrated and making comments in their language under their breath. Despite not understanding them, he knew that they were complaining about him and begin his descend down the flight of steel steps. As he stepped onto the concrete, he wondered what would they do once he had entered their dragsine. They seemed a peaceful type of people despite their green scaly skin and pinkish eyes. At this point of time he really didn't know much about them or their customs and heritage. Most of them kept to themselves and wore silk looking robes that dragged on the ground.
He paused at the foot of the steel stairwell off to the side and watched other Ar'bekians hurry off toward the main aeroport building. Few did glanced in his direction then kept heading to the doors of the aeroport. Out of the corner of his eye, a door to the dragsine opened and a tall Ar'bek climbed out then held a sign with his name. The Ar'bekian probably knew who he was since he was the only human among the crowd. Holding the sign, the Ar'bekian did it out of curtsy than anything else.
He stood there a moment longer, wondering if anyone was to get his luggage. When no one did, he wandered slowly toward the Ar'bekian and the dragsine, half dragging his luggage along. The tall Ar'bekian didn't move a muscle just watched him approach and continued to hold the sign. His name on the sign became obscured due to the Ar'bekian's long nails.
When he was several meters away, "Are you the governor of Drexasss of Amarika?" The Ar'bekian asked.
"Yes." He replied simply.
"Let me get your luggage." The Ar'bekian moved with suck speed it startled him as a large hand grasped the handles of his luggage bags.
The Ar'bekian carried his luggage without any problem then walked to the rear of the dragsine as its trunk popped open. Once his luggage was in the trunk and closed, the Ar'bekian opened a side door for him. Reluctantly, he climbed inside and sat into a leathery seat before three other green scaly Ar'bekian men. The door closed blotting out the sun and its heat, darkening the roomy cab. He didn't know what to think or expect from them while attempting to avoid staring at their pinkish eyes. They seemed quite confident in themselves as their faces showed no kind of emotion that could give a hint of their intentions. At least he was out of the stifling heat as he noticed dark brown leathery skin throughout the cab.
"May I offer you a drink?" The Ar'bekian on his right inquired with a hand. The only difference he could tell that this Ar'bekian male was wearing a large ring on one finger.
As he sat there deciding on what kind of drink if he even wanted one, sensing them staring at him. They continued to study him while waiting on his decision as they seemed to be a patient race. As he opened his mouth to answer, the dragsine lifted up off the concrete and gradually headed in the direction of the city.
After a moment, he answered. "I'll have a Bourbon spintzer."
As the Ar'bek turned to the mini-bar, his counterpart next to him suddenly stated. "You probably are wondering why you are here, but in due time governor. Tonight you will be a honorable guesssst for dinner that will be a feasssst. A meal prepared jusssst for thissss occassssion." This Ar'bek seemed to be plumper and more older than any of them, but he also wore a pair of sunglasses that hid his eyes.
The third Ar'bekian just nodded in agreement while smiling with numerous sharp teeth showing as if he had a mischievous intention in mind. The Ar'bek also had a couple of rings on each hand that appeared gaudy against his green scaly skin.
He thought the mischievous grin was menacing toward him, but the other two did not do the same. He took the bourbon sprintzer from the tall Ar'bek and took a sip that was immediately followed by a fuzzy burning sensation in the back of his throat. It was the way he liked it and that instant they seemed okay even though being Saudraqi Ar'Bekians.
The ride was short to and through the city where they stopped at a mastodonic palace with four spiraling tiers in each corner. Each tier had a large upside down teardrop domes that sparkled gold brightly in the sun. Once the dragsine parked on the front terrace, he climbed out into the courtyard with countless blooming plants in mosaic designs. Now there were stretching shadows from nearby buildings which the sun was gradually setting in the West. Despite the shadows, it was still stifling hot.
As the tall Ar'Bekian took out his luggage, the other two showed the way to a large arching entrance to the white five-story palace. When he began to follow the two Ar'bekians, he glanced back at the sleek black dragsine and noticed two fluttering movements in the front as a large eye moved in his direction. The tall Ar'bek caught up to him and began to walk him in the eerie silence except for the gusty wind.
Glancing up at him, hesitantly, he asked. "I haven't been introduced. Who are they?"
Well, the wissser man isss King T'rue and the other issss hissss ssson, Prince T'hea. I'm the adminissstrator D'lyue." He answered in the annoying hissing tone.
Once inside the main hall, it darkened considerably as he had to wait for his eyes to adjust. At first, he noticed a swirling black and white marble flooring throughout then the iron sconces with flames set every ten feet on either side of the hall. King T'rue and the prince already had reached two large wooden doors that were immediately opened by two guards. As he approached, the two guards stood fixedly and stared directly ahead. They both wore polished silver breastplates and helmets with a large black claw marks across their chests and on the side of their helmets.
On the other side of the doorway, there were series of arches made out of brick and numerous fern trees in front of a small window. Even though the windows were small, there was considerably more light as several female Ar'bekians wandered to the nearest door. Each one had their face covered and only could see their eyes as most kept themselves from looking, but few did glance in his direction. Throughout the main hall were numerous tapestries and paintings along with vintage large vases with mosaic designs and patterns in pristine shape. Even in marble flooring had the designs and patterns that lead to the other end of the hall. As he followed the pattern to the other end, he noticed that the King and young prince waited patiently for him.
Upon reaching them, the King informed. "D'lyue will sssshow you to your quartersss. Dinner will be in two hourssss from now, governor."
He watched a red fluttering forked tongue that flickered in the air before him. "I would like to know what this all about." Ignoring the tongue, he suggested.
"In due time, governor. In due time, but firssst dinner. I'm ssssure that you are hungry after a long flight." King T'rue answered with a wave of his hand.
He felt that he was dismissed as he watched them entered through a second double wooden doors with two more guards. He continued to watch them until the doors were shut by the guards and stood there a moment longer in silence.
"Thissss way, governor." D'lyue stated while heading toward a side door that lead to a slow winding stairwell.
On each side of the stairs were polished golden railings that curved along with the wall. There was a round disk in the walls every floor with black claw marks like the guards wore. It was quite odd to him and wondered what it represented in their customs and culture. If he asked what it meant, would it anger them to the point where they send him back without telling him why he was brought here in the first place? After a moment, he decided against it and wait to find out what they wanted with him.
After three floors, D'lyue took him down a hallway with some torches in sconces that were lit, casting dim shadows. They walked down the hall about a hundred meters, passing big oak doors set regularly in intervals on both sides. There were even more tapestries and paintings of various Saudragi Ar'bekians in dignified manner or menacing grin. Occasionally, there was a large greenish vase with gold trimming and fake flowers inside that seemed real enough to him.
"Here you go, governor." D'lyue stated upon opening a big oak door, revealing a suit with numerous furnishings and a bed covered with silk drapings. Next to the bed was a large, deep, rich oak dresser with an oil lamp that had a fresh wick. Placing the luggage bag next to the bed, D'lyue added, glancing around at the room. "If you need anything elsssse let me know immediately, governor."
As soon as D'lyue left the suite, his phone rang from inside a pocket of his suit. Taking out his phone, he answered in a tiresome tone. "Yes."
"Governor, this is Betty, your secretary. How was your flight?" A female voice inquired.
"It was to damn long and I didn't understand the damn movie at all. Did these people tell you anything about they want?"
"No, they did not, sir. All they said that they must talk to you privately, but I had no idea that they meant in Saudragi Ar'bek." Her voice went from confident to apologetic.
"That's quite all right, but I just wished I knew what they wanted so I could get out of his god awful heat. I'm inside and still sweating like a pig." There was silence. When she say anything, he asked. "Is there anything I should know about back home?"
"No. It's all quiet here, sir." She replied thoughtfully as there were some shuffling of paper in the background.
"Keep me inform, okay? I must get ready for the big meal tonight and I think that they want me to wear these clothes." He stated, glancing at a white silk robe laying on the bed.
"Okay, governor. Just make sure that you don't eat something that will make you sick. I have heard that their food is somewhat poisonous, but I never met anyone who had ate their food."
"Tell my wife that I love here and will be home soon, okay?" He told her then closed the lid while pressing the disconnect button on the display panel.
For an hour he flipped through the channels on the salitelevision, but hundreds of them were in Ar'bek. He couldn't understand a word they spoke, but did found a sports channel. Even though he didn't know the rules of the sports engagement, he did found it quite interesting. After an hour, he figured that he should get ready for dinner and went to the bathroom to take a shower in their spacious misting shower.

As he was going through his check of wearing the robe properly, there was a loud knock at the door. D'ylue stood in the hallway wearing a ceremonial robe with Ar'bek runes on the trimming when he opened the door. On either side of D'lyue stood two guards in armor that was pristine and polished for this occasion. The black claw marks were more prominent on their chests and helmets.
"Governor, are you ready?' D'lyue inquired with seriousness that chilled his bones right to the core.
"Yes, at least I hope I am. Am I wearing this right?" He inquired, glancing down at the white silk robe.
"That will be jussst fine, governor. If you will follow me, I will take you on a ssssmall tour of the palace. If that'sss all right with you?"
"Sure. Are you certain that the guards have come with us on this tour?"
"It'ssss for your protection, governor." D'lyue stated with a disappointed look as he turned and began down the hallway.
Watching D'lyue, he had this sensation, a feeling if you will, of being lied to and get angered at. He wasn't sure since he never met a Saudragi Ar'bekian before today. The two Ar'bekian guards followed him down the corridor as he hurried after D'lyue and down the slow winding staircase. Half way down the staircase he stopped and looked at the tannish round disk with claw marks, wondering what it symbolized.
"What does those mark represent?" He asked out loud before he realized what he had said.
D'lyue had stopped several steps before the bottom and hesitantly turned, replying. "It repressssentsss the ssssymbol of our goddesssss, governor. Don't you worry, ssshe'sss been long time gone." After a moment, he stated nervously. "We don't have much time until dinner, governor. We mussst get along if you want the tour."
Glancing at the black claw marks for a second time, he began down the steps. "Sure. I will honor your hospitality with no disrespect."
"Thisss way then, governor." D'lyue waved a hand toward a side door to the main hall.
Glimpsing at the two guards on either side, he didn't really have a choice, but maybe he will learn something about these people even though they were a different race. They quickly entered the main hall then into a corridor with arching stained glass windows and Ar'bekian runes along the trimming. As D'lyue showed and talked about various heroes in their history, he began to suspect they can be fanatical and religious in their goddess, but he never learned her name. Every time that he started to mention their goddess they nervously changed the subject to the next warrior or royalty. The corridor suddenly opened up to a large temple with walls, floor, and ceiling were made of polished black sand marble. Eight monstrous black sand marble statues of slithering serpents reached up to the ceiling, acting as pillars. The entire temple was dimly lit by few torches hanging in iron sconces. The opposite wall had a mural depicts a great ebony winged serpent, standing twenty-one feet tall. Its wings covered the entire length of the wall, staring down toward them with its reddish orange glow of eyes.
"And what is this place?" He inquired while staring at the large ebony winged serpent.
"Thisss isss our temple where we worssship to our goddesssss for forgivenessssss and among other thingssss." D'lyue answered truthfully, bowing deeply toward the great serpent.
"Why show me this? I mean, whatever is your religion is your own. I'm not here to judge you. It's not my place."
"To sssshow you that we are peaceful race and not sssome barbaric race going around killing jusssst to be ssssavage. We are not sssavagesss that sssome people sssay."
Even though D'lyue was telling the truth, he still figured that D'lyue wasn't telling him everything. It was all for show and a sales pitch and he knew from experience and pitching his own sales pitches over the years.
"Governor, we mussst go to the dining hall for the feassst in your honor." D'lyue added with a wave of his hand when he didn't say anything more.
Upon entering the dining hall, there werenumerous long tables made from rough wood set on trestles and surrounded by countless pillows seats. In each pillowy seat was an Ar'bekian along with a female chatting in their native tongue, drinking some kind of liquor that he never seen before. Behind them were white stone columns that supported the ceiling of marble. Black sand marble must be abundant here because it was everywhere.
"Ah, governor, come and sssit here." King T'rue stated, patting an empty pillowy seat next to him half way down the table.
Following D'lyue down the right side of the tables, he sat next to the King as D'lyue sat next to the prince on the other side of the King. As he sat down, he felt as if they were all watching him with hatred and barbaric hunger for his flesh. He wanted to leave and before the King would have told him what they wanted, but couldn't leave if he wanted to anyhow. Ignoring the persisting feeling, he glanced down the both ends of the tables and found no one looking in his direction. Perhaps, it was his imagination.
"You probably are wondering why we have brought you all thisss way." It wasn't a question, but a statement of fact.
Nodding, "You didn't bring me here to have dinner with you when you could have dinner with any president or royalty," he said honestly.
An Ar'bekian waiter appeared between them, placing a large silver platter with some kind of delicacy and causing them to pause. The waiter moved down the tables placing a similar platters of food as other Ar'bekians wasted no time and took a large healthy servings onto their plates.
"Governor, pleassse try sssome. It isss very good and you might even like it." The King stated while he waved at the plateful of green scaly meat and taking a large serving himself.
"What is it?" He inquired, rippling his nose to smell it. There was exotic spices that nearly overwhelmed him to the point where he almost gagged.
Chuckling, that was between laughter and hissing, the King answered with an amusing tone. "It'sss a sssandray, of course, governor." Then he placed a small serving onto his plate and waited, watching intently. "Anyway, governor, the reassson why we brought you here issss we want you to run for the pressssidency of Amarika."
Gagging on the heavy spices, he hardly believe what he just heard and dropped his fork to the plate. Once he finished coughing, he asked dubiously. "Me? Why me?"
"Well, from what I underssstand isss your family ownsss a large company that producesss Sssenbe` ssspice for your living vehiclesss called dracobilesss." The King explained while taking a sip of wine.
"Yes, so? What does that have to do with me running for the presidency of Amarika? One day perhaps I was."
"We are willing to pay you one billion dragbloonsss jussst to run."
"And what's the catch?"
"For an Amerikan, you're not too sssmart." There was a hint of frustration tone in the King's voice. "Win the election, of courssse. You think that we're give you a large amount of money to lossse? Win and we both will profit from thisss very handsssomely. But, if you lossse, well jussst sssay that you won't sssee your next birthday." The king said flatly with such seriousness. After a moment, he added. "Eat. Don't worry about that. Jussst give it sssome thought and tell usss yesss and you won't regret it."
"I just don't know..." He began, but the King stopped him.
"Tell you what, sssleep on it and give me your anssswer in the morning." King T'rue added quickly.
The King suddenly stood up and wandered down one end of the tables and began to talk with the other Ar'bekians, leaving him with a plate full of sandray. As he picked and ate it slowly in an attempt not to eat too much of the exotic spices, he pondered on the King's proposal.
"My father isss right."
"What?" He turned to find the Prince T'hea in his father's seat. "I don't understand."
"Governor, let me be blunt. If you win the election, and you will at any cossst, you will be acquired to find a way to drive the price of Sssenbe` ssspice up. You sssee, we both own an enterprisssesss of producing thisss ssspice and when the price risssess, and it will becuassse of you, we will profit handsssomely." The prince explained while smiling at two female Ar'bekians.
Then it occurred to him that he could make a large profit from Senbre` sipce and get paid for it on top of that. If he did win election, he also would be paid by the government for the rest of his life. Once he finished his term, he could retire and live off the government pension. Smiling, he ate heartily at the sandray, not caring about the abundant spices that could gag him, and drinking the wine in big gulps.
© Copyright 2008 J. R. Urie (magejox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1458578-The-Drakon-Core