*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459871-A-Mothers-Greatest-Power
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1459871
A mother receives a super power.
There was no magic lamp, no science experiment gone wrong, no coin thrown into a wishing well; nothing of that nature led to my life-changing experience.  In fact, I’ve spent countless hours researching, praying, and backtracking trying to figure out how I gained this super power.  All attempts have proven futile.  I have come to a point in my life where the “why” does not matter, and I am allowing myself the luxuries this power provides me.  For I am sure some day as quickly as it appeared, it will disappear.

The first occurrence of my super power was quite frightening, as any change can be.  I was peeking my head in Alyssa’s room to say the final goodnight for the evening.  There lay my angelic ten-year-old daughter reading her book.  A look at her and the stresses of the day almost vanished away.

“Goodnight, Sweetheart.”

“Hey, Mom.  You did remember to make the cookies for the Fall Festival tomorrow, didn’t you?” she mumbled, not even glancing up from the page she was reading.

“What cookies, Alyssa?”

“Mom!  For the Fall Festival.  I have to bring cookies.”

“And you are telling me at ten o'clock at night?”  I didn’t try to hide the exasperation from my voice.  This was not the first time we had this discussion.

“I gave Dad a note about it Monday.”

“Does your father live here, Alyssa?  And, for that matter, will he be baking the cookies you need?”  My voice was getting an edge to it that even I didn’t like to hear.

I got the typical response when there is no other response to give, “Mom, you just don’t understand!”  With that, she slammed her book closed and pulled the covers over her head. 

My blood pressure was rising as I headed to the kitchen mumbling about how I needed more time.  When I passed my son’s room, I noticed he was at the computer working on an English report with his faithful companion, Rocky, at his feet.  I remember thinking how he must be deep in thought as he was sitting so completely still. 

I glanced at the clock as I mixed the batter for the cookies – 10:12 p.m.  By the time I got everything ready for work and school tomorrow, it would be nearly midnight.  I groaned thinking of the sleep I would not get.  Though I valued my independence, single motherhood was not as easy as they make it look on sitcoms. 

Finally, all the chores were done, and my body was begging for the feel of the cool, crisp sheets.  I was surprised to see Jackson still at his computer when I walked by his room again.

“Jack.  You have got to get to bed.  It is late,” I mothered even though he was a senior in high school.

He sat completely motionlessly; I began to get alarmed.  I tapped his shoulder and repeated, “Jackson do you know what time it is?”

At the mention of the word time, his fingers began typing, and Rocky’s tail began thumping.  I almost fell back on his bed, for the sudden movement was my first awareness that there had been no movement. 

“Mom, it’s only ten after ten.” Jackson said as he typed.

I looked at the digital clock by his bed in disbelief. What was happening here? Not wanting my son to think I was any stranger than he already did, I simply kissed him goodnight without further inquiry and went to my bedroom to figure this out.

I could come up with no solutions as I stared at the ceiling except for pre-menopause or exhaustion, or a combination of the two.  I kept telling myself not to worry about it, that at least the cookies were done.

The next morning was the usual rush getting ready for school.  I tried not to give the previous night’s bizarre occurrence much thought as I didn’t have time to see a doctor nor did I know what kind to go see.  As I was helping Alyssa with her hair, Jack yelled down the hall for me to iron his shirt.

“I’m sorry, Jackson.  Pick another one.  There isn’t time this morning.”  Instantly, Alyssa froze.

I looked at her, my hands shaking, my heart racing.  She was breathing, but not moving.  I screamed for Jackson and got no reply.  I ran stumbling down the hall only to be met with the sight of him frozen with a pop tart half way to his mouth.  Not knowing what to do, I bolted for the door.  As I threw it open, I was met with complete calm and silence.  Everything was frozen.  Not frozen like ice, but frozen in time.  Cars were stopped in the streets, people in mid-jog, birds mid-filight in the air, Rocky frozen stiff, midway through digging.

My mind raced.  “Okay, okay, okay . . . . I said I didn’t have time to iron his shirt.  God, I’ll iron his shirt, just please put them back.”  I grabbed the shirt on the chair and did the best iron job a half-crazed mom could do.  Still, there was silence.  I was missing something.  Tears were streaming down my face.  I sat rocking back and forth at the table.  Finally in frustration, I screamed, “Time can’t be frozen!”

Everything began again.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” Jackson asked with concern.

It was at that moment that I realized I had been given the ultimate gift to any mother – the power to freeze time.  I considered calling in sick at work that day and staying home to think of ways I could use my new toy, but then I realized I could drop the kids off at school and then just freeze time to think about it.

I believe it was Spider man's Uncle Ben that once said: “With great power comes great responsibility.”  This may be true, but with my power I have found great luxury, too.  I have used my power for good many times.  For instance, when Alyssa forgot it was ‘50's dress up day at school until we pulled into the parking lot and saw everyone in their poodle skirts, I was able to freeze time and go put together a costume.  And there was the time Jackson needed a corsage for his prom date, and he didn’t realize it until he was pulling up to her house.  Freeze time, run to the florist, and I’m the hero! 

I admit I have been selfish though.  There are days I’ve frozen time and laid on the couch all day reading trashy novels.  I’m sure my I.Q. dropped, but I felt indulged and refreshed, more eager to give of myself.  There are several days I’ve frozen time for a power nap, but I’m sure the world thanks me for that. 

I have used my power productively, too.  My house is clean.  I’ve even figured out how to freeze everyone but my kids, so I can spend more time with them.  The greatest thing about my superpower is it is better than anything I would have thought to wish for.  I probably would have chosen a frivolous superpower like flight or x-ray vision, but the power to freeze time gives me a chance to be a better me.  But I know it’s like they say easy come, easy go.  So, I just enjoy the time while I have it. 

Oh, and one more thing.  Doubt my story if you must, but just know there is no way I could have gotten my story in by the deadline without my power. 

WC - 1252
© Copyright 2008 audra_branson (abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459871-A-Mothers-Greatest-Power