*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463621-Chucks-Place
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1463621
Chuck is proud of his creation. Written for Daily Flash Fiction.
"That's it!" Benny said, throwing the hammer in Chuck's direction. It landed violently on the floorboard near his feet. "I quit! You're the worst boss ever!"

"Yeah, that's right," Chuck said. "Walk away, loser. You're just jealous..."

Benny was partway down the ladder when he heard the last bit of Chuck's sentence. "Jealous?! No way! My house is way better than yours will ever be!"

"Stop it, you two!" cried Steph. "This is supposed to be fun..."

"And that's the last time I'm ever going to help you!" Benny added, before hopping off the ladder and onto the ground below. From the platform of his friend's nearly-done dream house, Benny eyed Chuck one last time before walking away. "And you're not welcome to my place anymore."

Chuck let out a half-chuckle. His sister leaned over the balcony and could only watch as Benny left through the back gate.

"What in the world is going on back here?" cried Mrs. Friedman. "Did Benny just leave?"

"Benny quit," said Steph. "Chuck made him mad."

"Charles Bernard Friedman, what have you done now?" Ana Friedman asked, walking toward the partially-built tree-house that now adorned their backyard maple.

Her son shot her a smug expression. "Oh, nothing, Mom. Just a little set-back that's all."

Chuck looked at his tree-house, the setting sun casting an ominous red glow against the woodwork. It won't be long now, he mused as he picked up the hammer to drive a loose nail into the floorboard.



Written for 08/17/08 "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt:
Write a story about building a house.
Word Count: 246
© Copyright 2008 Sam N. Yago (jonsquared at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463621-Chucks-Place