*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467187-Initial-Storyline-for-un-named-game
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Sci-fi · #1467187
Dark, grungy future and a man who got screwed.
Initial Storyline outline.


The World
The year is 2109. Humanity has spread out among the stars and staked its claims to countless systems. Mankind is an engine of progress and industry, taking resources from thousands of planets and turning it into the life blood of the Human Empire. Colonies exist in the furthest reaches of our galaxy. Hundreds of men and woman live on these alien worlds trying to find their fortunes. Earth itself is a utopian world where the richest of humanity live in absolute peace and prosperity. The poor live on the outer fringe worlds of the SOL system, huddled in dirty underground colonies, breathing recycled air and working to better the lives of the rich.

Genetic research has allowed for faster, stronger and smarter soldiers. Cybernetics has all but replaced the need for organ transplants and nanotechnology has wiped out conventional medicine. Those who can afford it believe that they are nearing perfection by replacing their bodies with life-like mechanical constructs. Artificial intelligence has reached such a point that it is hard to distinguish a human mind from computer intelligence.

Crime is still prevalent on the colony worlds; crime has three separate degrees of severity. Minor crimes are things such as owning illegal contraband such as pornography, illegal drugs, Anti-government propaganda and weaponry. Those crimes are dealt with by allowing the offender to choose rehabilitation or a minor jail sentencing. Rehabilitation is working in a resource gathering unit for three months, jail sentences can be from nine months to a year... Severe crimes are crimes against property of the government, property of private citizens, theft, attempted murder and rape; these are dealt with by putting the offender in a prison world for anywhere up to twenty years. Mortal crimes involve murder, Pirating, selling contraband and any trespassing on private government property including computer trespassing. These crimes only have one sentence, life sentences.

Into the Darkness

Many lifers say that the “Cell” is the worse prison planet out there. Torture is a tactic used for obedience and murder by the guards is only slightly frowned upon. There is the threat of death hanging over us at all times, like a shadow it follows you in everything you do. Sometimes, even taking a piss I get a panic attack. It’s a horrible place, for horrible people. The really sad thing about it is that I don’t belong in here with these animals. Justice they say is blind…well it sure didn’t see me coming.

I was an Ore processor on Pluto, what a dump. Cold, lifeless and cramped. I went to work every day and busted my hump in those tight damp tunnels only to turn around and slide into a coffin. Well, there had been some murders in the tunnels lately, usually women or children to and from work or school. Horrible crimes according to the news-scans, rape and bleeding the victims dry leaving a mess even the meat-wagons couldn’t stomach. I thought I didn’t have to worry about them much, hell I was on my way outta here; I had saved enough scrap to get a shuttle to one of the fringe colonies. I was gonna prospect for minerals and strike it rich. Funny how ‘was’ turned into ‘never’. It was probably less than a week from my departure date. I was working deep in the mines waiting for my watch to go off for lunch. I was so deep in my work I never saw the squad coming, next thing I know i'm being pumped full of electricity from one of them stun batons. I wake up in a room with a table and no windows. Hell they had me tied to the wall, naked. I was wondering if they found my tobacco stash, which would be a shit storm. But no, as the steely eyed officer comes into the room and toss down a buncha scans of bodies horribly mutilated; I know this isn’t a minor contraband bust.


He leans on the desk and jabs at those scan like there about to try and get away. Turns his eyes on me and spits. He actually spits on me. He goes on to tell me they found DNA traces from me in one of the victims. Shit, I knew that prostitute was gonna burn me someday. He says it’s all over and for me to just admit it and perhaps they wouldn’t execute me. What would you have done? I maintained my innocence, got the shit kicked out of me. But no, I wasn’t taking this fall for some goddamn animal. Once back to my cell I used all my scrap to buy me a damn good lawyer. It was for nothing; since I was the only suspect they had they decided to fuck me. I was guilty the jury claimed and I was tossed on board a shuttle to PO129 or the “Cell”.

Never mind the murders continued after I was convicted or one of the victims killed the scum when it attacked her. No, I got lost in the system.  This life is fucked.

Riot

My first week here and some wise-ass mother fucker gets a stick up his ass, decides he is gonna escape this hell hole. There I am minding my own business in the yard when suddenly alarms blare out and those red flashing lights start going off.  Prisoners start to run about. There scared, shit, I’m scared although I’m a smart go. So  I drop to the ground and huddle into a tight little ball. No sense in slapping the bull when it’s charging if ya get my drift.  Well the riot squads bust out into the yard and start popping lifers off. They just start shooting, no warning or nothing. Blood is raining from the sky like streamers from a parade. I’m sure this is it, I’m gonna die guilty of a crime I didn’t commit on some dusty floor in a prison.  All of a sudden the shooting stops, I hold my horses on the ground for what seems a century. Hearing nothing I decide to look up, bad mistake. The squad is poking bodies and shuffling around. One sees me and he fucking shoots me. I take on right along the right side of my head. Splat my eye is fucking gone.

Five days later I wake up in the prison hospital on a cold steel table and I realize I can see better than I ever could before. I got all this data streaming over my vision. I can see my heart rate, the temperature, the time and even data on what I’m looking at. Seems that lawyer fellow been keeping tabs on me and sent them what was left of my scrap to patch me up. If I ever get outta here I’m gonna buy that man his own moon. The only problem is, I got this camera lodged into my skull. Sure it looks almost like a real eye, if you ignore the glowing red and the metal edges. But the other prisoners, they don’t like me much now. Say I got an evil eye and I should be dead. They start calling me the Devil and Red Eye. They start avoiding me because I should be six feet under. While that keeps me safe, it sure does get lonely around here.
© Copyright 2008 Pdquinn (dnvnquinn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467187-Initial-Storyline-for-un-named-game