*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467766-Moms-Chocolate-Cake
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1467766
Find out why Mom's cake tastes better than anyone else's, in this slice-of-cake vignette.
"Mom's Chocolate Cake"
Word count: 700
Calorie count: much higher


Shoveling the last few crumbs of birthday cake into his mouth, Sid marveled at the fact that his long-widowed mother could still whip up such a remarkable dessert at the ripe old age of 87.

The cake had been the real McCoy, made from scratch, not out of a box. The smooth, sweet, home-made frosting, spread with care over the exterior, was exactly the right consistency, not overly thick and not too thin.

“How do you do it, Mom?”

“Do what, son?” Her voice sounded thin and weak, sapped by time and a failing heart.

“The cake. Ellen has the recipe, but it never tastes quite the same.” Sid felt sure his wife wouldn’t appreciate that comment. When he glanced in her direction, her raised eyebrows confirmed his assumption.

“You’re my son, Sid. That’s why it tastes different when I make it for you. You taste memories and love - all the good times you and your dad and I enjoyed at your birthday parties over the years."

Sid shook his head, not sure if that made sense or not. He swirled the final few drops of his second cup of coffee around, a magical ritual that always seemed to make it taste even better, and lifted his mug to just beneath his nose. He inhaled deeply and paused a moment before draining the last few drops.

For some reason he suddenly recalled his Dad singing happily after finishing off a piece of Mom's cake. "Heaven, I'm in heaven, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak..." a song from an old Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers film.

An analogy popped into his mind that he knew his father would have appreciated. The robust aroma and flavor of the coffee complimented the lingering remnants of the moist cake and frosting the way Ginger Rogers once complimented Fred Astaire. Together, the cake and the coffee danced a graceful, unforgettable waltz across his tongue and throughout his mouth.

Most of today’s youngsters wouldn’t understand that. They wouldn't have any idea who Fred and Ginger were, Sid thought. And they probably won’t ever taste chocolate cake like this, either. He smacked his lips and picked up his napkin to dab at them. This has got to be what they have for dessert in heaven, he thought. He figured Mom would be baking it for the angels before too long.

“You want some to take home, don’t you, son?

"Nellie," Ellen butted in, "Don't tempt him like that. He's been doing so good."

“Mom, you know I’m trying to lose some weight.” Sid patted his stomach to demonstrate his point, even though he really wanted to take some home. "It's so rich, Mom, the taste really stays with you."

“I know, son, but you can only taste it for so long.”

Sid didn't agree with that. I’ll always be able to taste that cake, he thought, until the day I die. And then, if I’m lucky enough to make it to heaven, she can bake me another.

In heaven, Sid's Dad and a couple of his angel-friends were looking down at that very moment, nodding at the sight of his wife, his son, and the daughter-in-law he never met.

One of the angels pointed and asked, "So that's her, huh, Jack?"

"Yeah," Jack sighed, "that's my wife."

"Is her chocolate cake really that good?"

"Let me tell you, Fred, when you take a bite of Nellie's chocolate cake there's this explosion of rich chocolate, followed by a fat shock wave of frosting that washes over you and just hangs there in your mouth. It won't go away until you swallow a big gulp of ice cold milk or take a hot sip of coffee to blow things out and get you ready for the next bite. It makes you feel like singing or dancing. It's like heaven."

"Makes you feel like dancing, huh? I like that. It's not devil's food, is it?" Fred received a bump in the ribs from the other angel's elbow. "Hey!" he complained.

"Fred, that's not funny."

"Sorry Ginger."

The End
.


If you enjoyed Mom's Chocolate Cake and are still hungry for more, follow me to The Memory Lane Malt Shop for another brief tale.
The Memory Lane Malt Shop  (E)
A story for everyone who knows an Alzheimer's patient.
#1469911 by George R. Lasher


Additionlly, if you haven't read "The Trial," I think you would really enjoy it.
 The Trial   (E)
A well meaning wife badgers her forgetful husband
#1490634 by George R. Lasher


If you didn't like that, here's one for you and the horse you rode in on
 The Little Jockey  (E)
The story of a very young jockey
#1556971 by George R. Lasher

I always appreciate hearing from readers. Feel free to comment or ask questions regarding anything you see. Come check me out on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1625773285&aid=36414

© Copyright 2008 George R. Lasher (georgelasher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467766-Moms-Chocolate-Cake