*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1468208-Lucky-the-Star
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1468208
Lucky the star finds a way to leave his spot in space and become a comet.
Lucky the star lived way out in space. He loved to watch his friends fly around the planets. Bart-star and Freddy-asteroid liked to sled down the Milky Way. Susie-comet dashed overhead every year, smiling warmly and waving at Lucky. But Lucky could'nt fly with them through space, as he had never moved from his birthplace beside the green moon. He felt sad as he watched his friends diving into stardust pools. He was proud that he had been able to watch his grandfather become a Nova. His light echoed for hundreds of light-years to this day. Lucky had always longed to fly down to the blue planet. A lot of his friends seemed to fly there. It glimmered like a jewel. "That white stuff on the planet looks just like vanilla icing", said Lucky out loud. Lucky also wanted to someday fly over to the bright orange star. She was so beautiful, his great grandmother, the Sun. Just then, Lucky heard a soft voice behind him, startling him, "Hi, my name is Pearl..." Lucky spun around to see a beautiful unicorn with blue eyes and a rainbow colored horn. "What?", said Lucky, "You're Pearl?" He was amazed to see this magical creature so far out in space. She had wings and sailed over Lucky's head laughing at his wild eyed stare. "Ah, it's just not fair, Pearl", Lucky yelled up to Pearl as she whisked by overhead, "I can't move or fly around, to see what's what." The unicorn flew closer and spoke softly to Lucky, "You can move, Lucky..." Her blue eyes shining, she said, "here I'll help you, let me give you a nudge..." She lifted her horn up and with a great flutter of wings, she pushed Lucky out into space. He slowly gained speed and laughing crazily he bounced off the green moon and flew far above Pearl. She yelled out a warning as he soared by overhead, " Be careful Lucky, don't stray too close to the blue planet.You can be drawn in by it's gravitational force. Have fun, Lucky!" He was so happy. Finally he could see it all. Lucky flew around the blue planet and it's tiny white swiss cheese moon. He flew over the great star, the Sun, his oldest relative. Her gravitational force was strong, but a solar storm sent Lucky way out into space. Out past the great asteroid belt, full of huge rocks and pieces of old stars and planets and out past the big red planet. Lucky had so much fun that day, he fell asleep and dreamed of the blueberry planet covered with soft whipped cream on it. It looked so tasty! When Katy-comet flew by, singing her usual songs and smiling warmly at Lucky; he awoke to see her waving him to fly with her.
"Hi Lucky, come play", she sang out, laughing.
Lucky pushed himself off a large asteroid and flew out into space with Katy. As they soared close to the big blue planet, Lucky flew close under the Earth and Katy flew down and pulled him back
"Watch it, Lucky that's ice on the bottom", she warned, "It can melt and become water which is very bad for stars." Lucky said, "Oh thanks, Katy." She tapped him on the shoulder and dashed out into space, yelling, "Race you to the ringed planet. I bet you can't keep up!"
They both arced out into space and the stardust clouded behind Lucky as he strained to try and catch Katy. But she was too fast, and soon they fell past Jupiter and landed to rest near Pluto.
"Pluto's one big snowball of a planet, Lucky and here comes Billy-comet. Let's surprise him!" Katy laughed as they both hid behind Pluto. As Billy-comet slowly glided in around Jupiter on his way to a star-planning committee meeting, Katy and Lucky saw their chance. They ran into and pushed the planet slightly off its orbit and into a spinning collision course for the comet.
"KABLAST!!!" Billy careened into a backwards loop and with red anger he spied Katy and Lucky laughing at him from the ring of Saturn.
"I'll get you two, if it's the last thing I ever do!" he cried, flying backwards at a blinding speed after the planet Pluto had hit him directly on his chin.
"Well Lucky, I've got to go" Katy-comet hugged the little star and laughed and then sang a happy song as she flew away,
"Lucky was a funny sort of friend today,
though he couldn't beat me in a race.
A star can only be a happy star,
When flying free all over space."
Lucky did lots of star stuff, bouncing over galaxies and kicking up lots of stardust and yet he again grew sad. He kept thinking about the Earth and the white, lacy patches across its surface. He wanted to fly just a little bit closer, to see. He fell down, down and finally into the white hazy clouds and was surprised. He couldn't see anything.
"They have no taste at all," he exclaimed, "It's just a puff of nothing." He started to fly away, but something held him. He tried to go back up into space, but the more he pulled the stronger it felt. Was this the gravity Pearl had warned him about, he wondered?
Soon Lucky grew very tired and fell. He spun into a dive and as he fell he could see the big blue ocean below him. He aimed for a white circle of land he could see through the speed of his fall. As Lucky hit the sandy beach far below the starry night sky, the explosion of sand and stardust dug a great hole in the beach..
He lay there on his back looking sadly up into the night sky above him. There was the moon, with a face that told him, "I told you so…" He could see some of his friends flying around, safe and happy, way above him.
As time passed, Lucky grew very sad. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't push himself off the beach and back up into space. He walked down the beach and cried, "Why didn't I listen to Pearl and Katy?"
Just then Lucky could hear laughter from far away down the beach. Curious, he walked further towards the sound.
"Here Lucky!"
The star jumped nervously and looked behind him. Pearl, the unicorn stood on the beach with a group of young children. They were carrying popcorn and candy apples, and cones of pink fluffy stuff. A young boy offered some of it to Lucky.
"This is cotton candy, Lucky," said Pearl, "Stephen saw you fall." Some of the other children shared some popcorn with him. Lucky especially liked the candy apples with the caramel. He ate three of the tasty deserts.
Later, as Pearl, Lucky and the children sat around a warm campfire, they watched as the waves climbed the beach in the moonlight. Pearl told the children the story of Lucky and how he got too close to the Earth. Lucky sniffled and a small tear made of star crystal fell from his eye. Stephen picked up the crystal tear and it melted in his hand. The golden liquid trickled through his fingers. His hand glowed magically and he held it up for Pearl to see.
"That tickled", said Stephen. Pearl told him that his hand would have great powers of healing. He ran to his sister, Sara and touched her ear. She'd had deafness in one ear since birth and his touch suddenly gave her the ability to hear again. She cried out in joy and hugged her brother.
Pearl walked up to the fallen star.
"Now Lucky", she said, her horn gleaming in the moonlight, "You must close your eyes and wish as hard as you can." Lucky looked at Pearl, not believing what she had said.
"What? Wish?" he asked her, with hope beginning to fill his heart. Pearl looked down lovingly at the little star as she spoke.
"I will use my magic to try and help you break free of the Earth's gravity, Lucky, now wish hard and close your eyes."
With one last look at the starlit sky above, Lucky closed his eyes and wished with all his might. The children all started to say goodbye, hugging Lucky and standing back as Pearl flew up into the night sky with Lucky in her arms. He could hear the children below, calling out to them.
"Goodbye Lucky and Pearl, we love you"
When the stardust had cleared, Lucky was sailing way up into the night. He was so happy he almost forgot to thank Pearl. He looked back at Pearl flying along smiling up at him and he could see the Earth shrink as he flew out of its pull of gravity.
"Goodbye Pearl, thank you for everything!"
"Goodbye Lucky. Have fun!" Pearl and the children down on the beach watched the little star soar out into space and with a figure eight flight pattern he dipped over the moon and sailed away. He barely missed a sattelite in his excitement, and flew off towards the sun. He never forgot Pearls rescue and never flew to close to a big planet again in his long and happy star life.
© Copyright 2008 nightwriter_2008 (musicthearapy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1468208-Lucky-the-Star