*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469081-Poverty-in-a-Welfare-State
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1469081
Who are the Belgian poor? Why are they poor? What can be done to help?
POVERTY IN A WELFARE STATE
- The Belgian poor

Addressing the subject of poverty in Belgium, one most realize that we most often do not refer to extreme poverty as used in terms of international development and Third World countries. For Belgium is well known to be a rich country due to its vast household savings.
Nevertheless, poverty in Belgium does exist and what is more, it is a true hidden phenomenon. Studies estimate that up to 15% of the Belgian population are exposed to poverty risks. Of course, due to the high living standards throughout the country, many of the poor in Belgium face severe psychological roadblocks in bringing to light their impoverished situation.
When we take a closer look, we can easily identify certain characteristics about the Belgian poor. The most vulnerable in society most often are people who did not enjoy the privilege of higher education, who are member of a broken family or who are of poor health. And even a welfare state, with its extended social insurancy system does not work perfectly.
Furthermore, many studies confirm the image of the Belgian economy to gradually become outdated. The country's lack of innovative industries and dynamic entrepreneurship in combination with historically driven high wage costs, tends to tighten the labour market even further in the near future. Needless to say that the first to face unemployment will be those without a proper degree.
Luckally, many tools of the general development box such as lifeline tariff pricing are applicable in Belgium, especially given the small scale of application. Any long term solutions are to be found in the promotion of innovative industries throughout the country with combining efforts to provide special training programs for the unemployed.

Welfare is not measured by the annual income of the rich, but by the daily living standards of the poor.
© Copyright 2008 Ian Mauriz (ianmauriz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469081-Poverty-in-a-Welfare-State