*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471494-It-is-better-to-offer-no-excuse
by deeps
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1471494
This story i have included for contest "Presidential Quotes Contest"
My phone bell rang loudly, I picked up the call in hurry; it was Betty, my high-school girlfriend. She wanted to talk to me and I was trying to ignore her.

We had met three months back in an official seminar. She was still so beautiful and vibrant, in a second all the college days stood before me. All those days of love and passion danced in my mind the whole week. When finally one day, she called me and we decide to meet for lunch. After that day we started meeting regularly. Soon everything went out of control. Initially I thought I will tell my wife Sheena everything, but I never had that much guts to confess my mistakes. And I knew that Sheena had noticed the change, even my 3 years daughter had. I should have stopped there only.

But that day I went to meet Betty, I knew I will be late to home and I had an excuse of overtime. As usual I turned my mobile to silent mode. I and Betty had a great time. For those two hours I felt as if I was only right person in this world, all my guilt had vanished. “Its ok” I said to myself, after all I am taking care of my wife and daughter, and I have not left them on streets to wander. Moreover Betty doesn’t want to marry me. Maybe Sheena will never find it out, and things will be so nice all the time. I was happy and that was important.

Around 11:30 I left Bettie's house. I knew I will get traffic, but the roads were empty and I thank god for that. I checked my mobile, I had 12 miss-calls, but I ignored them, I thought my wife must have called to enquire about my overtime. I reached home in full speed. There was a car standing outside my house, I looked closely, it was my father-in-law car. Why has he come? I went inside, my wife was sitting on chair, her eyes were swollen, my daughter was sleeping on the sofa, and my mother-in-law was sitting besides her. As soon as I got in Sheena ran towards me and gave me a tight hug, “Thank god you are safe”.

I was totally confused. Before I could think, she fired next question at me “Where were you?” Without a second thought, I said “I was at office, overtime” and then everything went silent. The silence was broken by the news flashing on the TV in the corner of the room. “Global Limited” building had a fire and almost the whole building was burned to ash. Many employees were badly hurt.

That day was end of my 7 years marriage, I lost my job, and even Betty left. Even today when I think of that night, I really did not need any excuse for my late arrival that night and today I would have been with my family. It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.

© Copyright 2008 deeps (sdeepti at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471494-It-is-better-to-offer-no-excuse