*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472154-Moons-Trial
by Ria Lu
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1472154
Someone once said that the universe is not made of atoms, but stories.
         Someone once said that the universe is not made of atoms, but stories. That everywhere one turns, one would see, not merely colorful nebulae of gases, but bittersweet tragedies of stars' deaths. In the explosion of a supernova, there is story. In the flight of a lonely comet, there is story. Even in the tidal effects that result in an increased distance between the Earth and the Moon, there is story.
         Ask an astronomer, and he would probably agree. The universe is filled with tragedies, dramas, and yes, even romances. Has the dear reader not heard of one before? Ah, then allow this storyteller to share one. It begins, like most stories, once upon a time, in a part of space not so far away...

Cambridge, England 1886
         “George!” A plump man was ushered into the workroom.
         “Oh, hello, Simon.” George was glued to his telescope, and did not even look up when his friend entered.
         “You seem pretty engrossed there.” Simon approached.
         “I just noticed something.” George spun around to face the newcomer. “Did you know that the Moon is moving further away?”
         “Moving away? Preposterous! How could it be moving away?”
         “I have proof, my dear fellow.” He shuffled around his work desk and produced several sheets of paper.
         “I'm sorry, George, but I'm a writer, not a scientist. You can't expect me to understand any of those mathematical jargon.”
         “It's quite simple, really. See here. Because the Earth moves faster than the Moon orbits, the Earth's tidal bulge tries to pull the Moon ahead in its orbit so as to sort of help it catch up.”
         “Alright, so the tides try to speed up the Moon's movement.”
         “That's right. But the Moon is also pulling back. This tidal friction tends to take energy from the Earth and transfer the energy to the Moon's orbit, thereby making the orbit bigger.”
         “And thereby increasing the distance between the Earth and the Moon.”
         “Precisely. According to my calculations, the Moon is moving further away from us at around 3.8 centimeters every year.”
         “So, in effect, the Moon is stealing energy from the Earth.”
         “Well... I guess, you could put it that way.”

The Solar Hall
         Bound and frightened, the Moon was thrown into the middle of the Solar Hall. The Sun, the Giver of Judgment, stood mighty and bright before him. Around him were the Eight Planets: the small poker-faced Mercury, the beautiful Venus, the red-faced Mars, and the wise red-eyed Jupiter. Saturn in her golden-ringed splendor was also present, and with her were the twins, Uranus and Neptune. And standing at the back of the Hall was dark distant Pluto. (In this story, dear reader, Pluto has not been demoted yet. His relegation is yet another story.)
         There the eight planets stood on their pedestals: majestic, daunting, and merciless. They were Moon’s Jury.

         “Moon,” the Sun spoke in a voice that made the Moon cringe. “You are charged with stealing Energy from your master, the Earth. Your Trial begins now!” The Sun struck the ground with his staff, and the Hall echoed with the signal of the start of the Trial.
         Jupiter stepped forward. “Observations show,” he said. “That the accused moves further away from the Earth. His leash lengthens.”
         “What means that, Great Jupiter?” Neptune asked.
         “It means,” Saturn replied in the giant planet’s stead. “He has indeed been stealing Energy. A slave cannot stray from his master, unless he acquires a great amount of Energy.”
         “But how know we that the Earth gave to him not?” Uranus inquired.
         “Heavenly bodies give not to slaves,” small and serious Mercury explained as he turned to face Uranus. “It weakens them.”
         “But what motive has the Moon for stealing from the Earth?” Pluto, with his satellite, Charon, at his feet, asked. “He needs it not.”
         “He wants to be like us!” Mars said as he stepped off his pedestal. “He wants to be a planet!”

         The Moon fearfully backed away as the red planet approached him. Mars had always been known for his bad temper and violence. It was even rumored that the red planet was responsible for the unusually close orbit, and eventual doom, of his own satellite, Phobos.
         “No, Mars, wait!” Pluto called to him. “We have yet to confirm—”
         “What else could it be?” Mars interrupted. He grabbed the Moon by his chin. “It is like what you said, Pluto, he needs it not!” And he hit the Moon on the face with a force that sent the satellite flying to the other end of the Hall.
         “Mars, stop!”
         “Refrain him not, Pluto,” Uranus commanded.
         “The slave has to be shown his place,” Neptune added.

         Mars walked slowly towards the Moon, who quickly got to his knees.
         “Pathetic,” Mars said as he kicked the Moon’s side, effectively bringing the unfortunate satellite back on his stomach.

         Pluto nodded at his servant, Charon, who bowed and discretely left the Hall to do her master's bidding.

Cambridge
         “Comparing ancient eclipses with modern observations, one can see that the Moon's motion in the sky has been accelerating.” George spread illustrated documents on the table for his friend to see. “Now, at first glance, it seems like the Moon is moving faster. But in truth, it is the Earth that is slowing down.”
         “But how is that happening?” Simon asked.
         “The Moon's pulling back also pulls at the tides. So the water of the ocean rubs against the Earth, thereby slowing it down. So now we have twenty-four hours in a day, but billions of years ago, a day was only about eighteen hours.”
         “I see. But are you saying some billion years from now, the Earth is going to get even slower?”
         “At the rate we're going, I believe so. And that also means the Moon is going to go further and further away. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if our descendants might see the Moon as merely a large star in the distant future.”
         “Do you think the Earth is going to stop rotating?”
         “I'm not sure, really. What do you think?”
         “You're the scientist here. You tell me. Has this kind of phenomenon happened before? To other planets, I mean.”
         “Not that I know of. But then there are so many other moons and planets out there that haven't been discovered yet. Why just twenty years ago, the planet Neptune and its moon, Triton, were discovered.”
         “Speaking of Neptune, I heard that some scientists think there are inconsistencies in some calculations related to the planet, and they're thinking there's a ninth planet somewhere out there.”
         “I wouldn't be surprised. For all we know there's another gas giant lurking about not so far away.”
         “I don't know. My fellow writers think the ninth one could be a rocky planet, much like our Earth.”
         “What makes you think that?”
         Simon shrugged. “Oh, just speculating.”

The Solar Hall
         Mars circled the Moon as the servant, gasping in pain, tried to stand up. “You really think to be our equal? You should be punished just for thinking that!”

         Mars raised a hand to strike the Moon again. Pluto darted forward to try to stop Mars, but Venus, fair planet that she is, managed to catch Mars’ wrist before he could hit the Moon.
         “Please, Mars,” she said. “We are not yet even sure.”

         Mars was momentarily startled. He had not expected anyone to challenge him. But his surprise was brief. He shot Venus a sharp look and pulled himself free.
         “Well, well, my dear Venus,” he said, his words dripping with spite. “You seem to have a soft spot for satellites.”
         “I only want justice to be delivered rightly.”
         “What are you implying? That I am unjust?” Mars slowly advanced towards Venus, his temper rising. “And whose side are you on?”
         “Mars, stop,” Jupiter ordered. “Venus is not taking sides. We have not all the facts just yet.”
         “It is also possible,” Saturn said as she tried to bring the discussion back on track. “That the slave may be doing it to get away from the Earth. Once he is able to move far enough, he will be able to catch the orbit of the next passing star.”
         Mars glared at Venus. “Or a passing nearby planet.”
         “Order!” The Sun shouted just as Venus was about to jump Mars. “Venus, return to your pedestal.”

         With one last glare at the hot-tempered Mars, Venus returned to her place.
         “To my knowledge,” Pluto said, continuing the earlier conversation. “Earth has always been good to the Moon.”
         “To some slaves, it matters not how kind be the masters,” Uranus said.
         “They will betray at first chance,” Neptune added.
         But Pluto shook his head. “I refuse belief of that. I know I am not close to the Earth. But even at my distance, I can tell that the Earth and the Moon have a good working relationship.”
         “And at my distance, I can tell that you and your satellite have more than merely a good working relationship.” Mercury’s statement surprised Pluto. It drew the attention of the other planets, too.
         But Pluto was not to be intimidated. Piercing Mercury with a sharp stare, he said, “Charon is an efficient satellite, and that I appreciate.”
         “We go off track again,” said Saturn. “May we please stay with the business at hand?”
         The Sun nodded and turned to the Moon. “You have heard what is being held against you. How plea you?”

         The Moon bowed his head and kept silent.
         Mars pulled Moon up violently by the hair. “The Mighty Sun asks you a question!”
         But the Moon held his peace.

Cambridge
         “If we look at the inner planets,” George said as he reclined in his desk chair, “the only other body with moons is Mars.”
         Simon perched on the desk before the scientist. “Phobos and Deimos. It was discovered only about a decade ago, wasn't it?”
         “That's right, by an American. Hall, I believe. What's happening to our Moon is actually happening to Deimos. That Martian outer moon is also being flung away from its planet. The difference is that Deimos is pretty small, only fifteen kilometers at its widest. Such a tiny satellite can hardly have any serious effects on its planet. Our Moon, on the other hand, is about a fourth of our Earth.”
         “I see what you mean. What about Phobos?”
         “Phobos is a little larger. But everyone in the scientific world calls it a doomed moon. The opposite is happening to it.”
         “You mean, it's being pulled in?”
         George nodded. “And very quickly. Phobos' distance from Mars is decreasing at around twenty centimeters a year. In a few million year, Phobos is going to break up and eventually crash into Mars.”
         “That's a shame.”
         “Mars can be a cruel master.”
         “How about the other two inner planets? What about Mercury?”
         “Mercury has no moon. Never had.”
         “And Venus? Venus is about the same size as our Earth. I don't find it impossible for it to have a moon. In fact, some big name from Brussels said there is one. Neith, he called it.”
         George snorted. “Hozeau is hardly a big name. True, he is the former director of the Royal Observatory of Brussels. But that's all he can claim.”
         “His hypothesis of Neith is pretty convincing. He even predicted the length of its revolution.”
         “He also claimed that Neith could be a planet on its own, orbiting the Sun at 283 days. But he said that two years ago, and his hypothesis is still just that: a hypothesis. He proved nothing!”
         Simon smiled. “Do I detect a hint of jealousy there?”
         “Perish the thought! Hozeau can go right ahead and go after his hypothetical moons. I prefer to turn my attention to what I know exists: the Earth, the Moon, and tidal effects.

The Solar Hall
         The Sun turned to Jupiter.
         “I wish to know the weight of the crime. What consequences there be of this theft?”
         “It could weaken the Earth,” Jupiter replied. This caused murmurs to break out among the planets.
         “By how much?” The Sun asked.
         “That depends on how much Energy she loses.”
         Mars tightened his grip on the Moon. “Earth is inhabited. We cannot take any chances. We should destroy him now!”
         “Wait,” Saturn said. “We must take into consideration what might happen to Earth’s inhabitants if they lose a satellite.”
         “I am sure it is better still than Earth weakening.”
         “But if the Moon stops stealing,” Venus reasoned out. “The Earth will not get any weaker. And right now, the Earth seems fine so…”

         The Sun looked at the Moon, kneeling in the middle of the Hall. He was a satellite all alone, with no one to help him. And on the Moon’s face, one could see that the poor servant knew this.
         “Let go of him,” the Sun told Mars.

         Mars threw the Moon down hard and moved away.
         The Sun scanned the Hall and asked, “How find the Jury of the accused? Mercury?”
         “Guilty.”
         “Venus?”
         “Not guilty.”
         “Mars?”
         “Guilty! There is no doubt about it!”
         “Jupiter?”
         “Guilty.”
         “Saturn?”
         “If he defends himself not, I would say guilty.”
         “Uranus and Neptune?”
         “Guilty,” the two replied in unison.
         “And you, Pluto, do you find the Moon guilty?”

         There was silence as Pluto looked from one planet's face to the next. Mercury was particularly watching him.
         Pluto replied, “No, Sir.”
         The Sun nodded. “Jupiter, have you noticed a weakening in Earth?”

         Jupiter looked down at the Moon, crouching on the ground. Hopelessness was all over his cratered face.
         “... No, Sir.”
         “Very well, I shall now pass judgment. Moon, you are tried for stealing Energy from the Earth. The Solar Court finds you—”
         “Stop!”

         It was the Earth. She was entering the Hall with Charon some distance behind her. The Earth walked past Moon without looking at him, and stood before the Sun. Charon silently took her place just behind her master, Pluto, who secretly held her hand behind him.
         The Earth made a bow, then looked the fiery giant in the eye. “Mighty Sun, I press no charges against my satellite.”
         “The other planets accuse him of stealing Energy from you,” Sun explained. “This is a very serious crime.”
         “He has stolen not from me. I ask you to set him free.”
         Sun was hesitant. “I am reluctant to do so, but since you say he stole not from you, then there is no case.” He paused, then addressed everyone in the Hall. “The Moon is free to go.”
         Most of the planets present protested. But the Sun had spoken. There was nothing they could do.
         “Moon,” the Earth said, without turning to look at the Moon. “My seas need tending to. See to it.”
         “Yes, master,” the Moon replied humbly, and left the Hall.

         The Earth turned to leave but Mars caught her and put his arms around her waist.
         “Earth,” he said. “You cover up for him not, do you?”
         “What reason have I to cover up for my servant?”
         “You absolutely sure he steals not from you? Because, as you know, I can always destroy him. Then I shall capture an asteroid to serve you in his place.”
         “That will not be necessary.”

         The Earth left Mars. But Jupiter blocked her way.
         “Earth,” he said in a low voice. “I know your servant steals from you. I have the most number of satellites in the system. Do you really think I know not of this kind of problem? But the difference between you and me is that I am an uninhabited gas giant and you are a small planet with very fragile life forms living in you. I can tolerate thefts without being affected. You cannot. Mars and I have a substantial belt of asteroids between us. A few hits from them will shorten your servant’s leash and force him to return the Energy he stole from you. I would be more than happy to arrange it for you.”
         “My servant has enough craters on his face already.” The Earth walked away but Jupiter grabbed her arm.
         “Earth, you are slowing down. I see it. But I knew the Sun would destroy the Moon if he found that out, so I kept quiet. I know you wish not to lose your servant. So, please, reconsider.”

         But the Earth only looked at Jupiter before freeing herself from his grasp and leaving.

Cambridge
         “Jupiter has moons.” George said. “And the fact is three of Jupiter's largest moons are locked to their planet in a type of orbit. But again, taking into consideration our Moon's size relative to the Earth, instead of locking orbit with its planet, the Moon would probably be flung so far out it would be caught by a passing star. instead”
         “Hard to imagine Earth without a Moon. I mean, the Moon has always been part of our literature and culture. Without it, why, there would no longer be moon-lit nights!”
         George nodded. “No waves.”
         “No werewolf tales.”
         “No lunacy.”
         “No monthlies for women.”
         George turned to his friend. “What?”
         “Think about it! They say women's monthly bleeding is somehow in tune with the cycles of the Moon. Without women's monthly cycles, there would be no preparation of the womb. And if the womb is not prepared, how would they give birth? Without the Moon, would that mean we cease to procreate? Would we cease to exist?!”
         George stared at his friend for a good few seconds before standing up and reaching to get his coat. “Enough of these dreary speculations. We clearly have been staying in the workroom too long. For all we know, the Moon would stop moving away at a certain distance.”
         “You're probably right. For all we know, the Earth and the Moon would lock into a synchronous rotation, like partners spinning in a dance while looking only at each other.”
         “Ha! Like lovers. I like that. But what do you say if we went out and got a drink for a while?”
         “I'd say that's a splendid idea.”

Earth's Vicinity, the Solar System
         The Moon was kneeling near the edge of a cliff, looking out to the seas. The Earth arrived and walked up the cliff, and stopped some distance ahead of the Moon.
         “Moon,” the Earth said without looking at the satellite. “I know you take Energy from me.”

         The Moon bowed his head.
         “I will not ask you to give it back. But I will ask you one favor.” The Earth stared at the seas below her. Then in a softer voice, she said, “Leave not yet.”

         The Moon looked up. Her tone had a hint of pleading in it that surprised him.
         “Not until my inhabitants have reached the end of their existence. You are precious to them…as you are to me.”
         The Moon stared at the Earth’s back. He stammered, “Y-yes, master. I am so sorry—”
         “That is not necessary.”

         The Earth left the cliff and rejoined the other planets in a flowing circling dance. And the Moon watched her silently from where he knelt wishing... hoping...
         “You long for your master.”
         The Moon turned to find Charon, Pluto's moon, standing beside him.
         “I know how it feels,” she said.
         The Moon turned his attention back to the Earth. He watched sadly as his master moved and turned with the other eight planets of the system. He watched as the Earth came near Mars, and smiled at Jupiter, and flew gracefully through the Milky Way without ever seeing him.
         “I think you know why I did what I did,” he said quietly.
         Charon nodded. “I may have done the same some billions years ago.”
         The Moon thought of Pluto and what Mercury had said about him and his relationship towards his satellite. The Court does not look kindly on planets who get too involved with their moons. No doubt there would be repercussions, possibly even dismissal from the Solar Court of Planets. But Pluto had stood his ground. “You are fortunate. You have a master that defends you.”
         “So do you,” Charon reminded him.
         The Moon smiled at the memory. “Thank you for fetching her.”
         “Thank my master. He said you reminded him of me.” After flashing him a smile, she turned her attention to the dance of the planets. Pluto, her master, turned to her. Then the ninth planet took a moment to take his loyal satellite by the hand, and bring her into the graceful dance across the galaxy.

         “I’m so sorry, master,” the Moon said, more to himself since the Earth would never hear it. “But I cannot stop taking from you. And I will steal from you, my master, until you go slower and slower, and until you finally stop… and look at me.”


         In 1930, Pluto was discovered as the ninth planet of the Solar System. Its moon, Charon, was discovered in 1978. Not only does Charon rotate synchronously around Pluto, but Pluto also rotates synchronously around its moon, the same face kept toward each other. Like lovers, in an endless dance across the galaxy, whose gazes never leave their object of affection.
         In 1969, humans first set foot on the Moon. It was as if Earth had reached out and touched her cratered servant, reminding him of the worth she and her inhabitants placed on him.
         In 2006, Pluto was demoted to dwarf planet. The Solar Court has passed judgement. Pluto and Charon are still locked in synchrony.
         In 2009, NASA will launch the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, the first mission in the planned return to the Moon. Another stroke from the Earth to remind its lonely satellite that he is not alone.
© Copyright 2008 Ria Lu (rialu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472154-Moons-Trial