*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472986-I-Am
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1472986
What describes who you are?
I Am
         
         Who am I?  It is funny how a simple question can receive a multitude of diverse answers from any number of people.  The question one should ask, however, is not, “Who are you?” but, “What describes who you are?”  Should one describe his or her identity with a mere name, or does one’s occupation take root.  Maybe it is deeper.  Maybe there is a more spiritual essence that describes one’s being.  One must truly take the time to ask his or her self, “Who am I?  What can best describe my existence in this world?”
         
         The simple answers are the ones most given when the question arises.  Answers such as “I am Joe”, or “I am a doctor” tend to slip out of one’s lips as fluidly as water slips through coarse sand, but this is just the outer crust covering the crystal within.  Names and occupations are merely identifiers, carrying no more meaning then to differentiate a person from just about everybody else.  Just as one cannot describe the beauty of a rainbow through it’s name, one cannot describe the inner workings of a person. 
         
         One could try and describe his or her self more specifically by describing his or her image, personality, likes and dislikes, etc.  One could talk his or her self to death and still have forgotten to tell someone his or her shoe size or his or her favorite snack to eat after midnight.  Are these specifics really necessary to describe who someone is?  Do these specifics even matter?  Specifics do not seem to be the answer to this simple question.
         
         So after asking these questions, can one really describe his or her self through words?  I believe that language is limited.  There are countless words to describe the generic, but few describe the unique.  My answer is short, simple, and vague, yet beautifully describes everyone for who they truly are.  Who am I?  I am me.
© Copyright 2008 Tianaman (tianaman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472986-I-Am