*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473387-An-Eighteenth-Birthday-to-Remember
by Harley
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Adult · #1473387
It's her 18th birthday and he doesn't want her to go...
         "Master. Welcome home, Master." Kitten knelt on the floor, her face floated above fuzzed carpet and hair pulled back in two braids. She wore only a polished band of silver around her neck.
         "Thank you, Kitten. Did you have a good day?" A tall human man with close-cropped, blonde hair walked through the opened door. His black suit looked as if it had been recently pressed.
         "Master. Your kitten has had a busy day, Master." The teal colored girl remained knelt on the floor.
         "I hope it wasn't too busy for a nice, hot meal." He reached down, scratching her behind black, furry cat ears.
         "Master. Dinner is covered, waiting on the table, Master."
         "Good. Now, what of today's mail, my kitten." He put his coat on the peg nearest the door.
         "Master. It is also waiting on the table, Master."
         "Good kitty. Let's eat then." He turned and walked towards the dining room. Raising her body up on to her hands and knees, she crawled after her Master. She moved with the grace of a feline.
         "Kitten, there's a parcel here from your Matriarch on Felinara." He held a small box between his hands. "Do you know what this is about?"
         "Master. Your kitten knows it is about her upcoming birthday, Master." The cat girl knelt back on her heels with the fingertips of each hand touching her ankles.
         "What does your birthday have to do with anything?"
         "Master. It is the year that your kitten returns, Master." She raised her head in defiance.
         "Return? That is nonsense! They lost their chance when they failed to answer my queries on the matter." He ripped open the brown paper that covered a teal box.
         "Master. That's..." She stared at the box. She remembered seeing it when she was still a young kitten, on her home world.
         "This is nonsense! They can't! I sent payment!"
         "Master. Something fell from the wrapper, Master." She clutched a small envelope in her hands, held out in front of her.
         "Oh! What is this, then." Taking the envelope, he tore it open with less care than he gave brown paper. The two sat in silence as he read the words. "Oh, I see." The anger washed out of his face. "I guess that's that, then." Letting the paper fall out of his hand, the master walked out of the dining room.
         Kitten waited for the sound of the bedroom door closing before she moved. Already knowing what was in the letter, she reached for the paper.

         Dear Master of Kitten Liana,
         As you know, it is the day Liana's 18th birthday
         and the day before her return. We thank you again
         for her training. Payment enclosed.
         Sincerely,
         LiLiana, Matriarch

         "My name is Liana. I wonder if Master liked it." Liana stood on her feet for the first time since she had come to Master's house and walked to the bedroom door.
         "Master?"
         "Go, Liana." His voice was faint behind the closed door.
         "Master, my transport isn't until tomorrow."
         "Why do you still call me 'Master', Liana? You are no longer mine to be master of."
         "Master, you will always be my teacher."
         "Liana, you don't understand. I love you and want to keep you for my own."
         "You know that isn't possible, Master. I knew, ever since I first came here, to not let my emotions interfere with my education. So did you."
         "I know. But you, you are different from all the others." Sobs welled up between his words as he spoke through the door.
         "Master..."
         "I know. I have already written up my resignation from the training facility. With all of the query letters I sent, they have enough evidence to prove my forbidden love. They will call for imprisonment. I'm sorry, Liana. I have failed you."
         "Master, you have not failed me. You have trained me to be the best."
         "But I fell in love with you! That's against the code of trainers, Liana! It doesn't matter what you or the Matriarch says, I'm finished. The League will see to it!"
         "Master, the League answers to the Matriarch. You have nothing to worry about."
         "Liana, I am ever amazed with you." The door opened and Master stepped into the hallway.
         "Master, I told you it was a busy day." She smiled into his tear-stained face. He smiled back.


© Copyright 2008 Harley (girlharley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473387-An-Eighteenth-Birthday-to-Remember