*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1475855-The-Flesh
Rated: ASR · Script/Play · Spiritual · #1475855
Meryl hesitates when given the opportunity to do something "big" for God.
THE FLESH
by Laura Milner

Romans 8:5-11 "Life in the Spirit" sermon



Characters:
         Meryl          A Christian Radio D.J. who yearns for more ministry opportu-                                nities.
         Voice          The "still, small voice of the Holy Spirit" in Meryl.

Situation:          At the close of his radio show, Meryl hears from the "still, small voice" and hopes to hear from God about a big ministry opportunity, but finds that his struggle will be more difficult than he dreamed. He has become attached to his possessions, particularly his motorcycle.

As lights come up, MERYL sits at a microphone with a headset on, finishing his closing remarks for his Christian radio program.


MERYL          Well, that wraps things up here at The Lighthouse FM. Don't forget, Jesus is the Light of the World and He'll be up all night. Good night and God bless.  (pushes boom mic away, takes a deep breath and stretches back in his chair, then says a quick prayer, eyes closed) Thank you, Lord. Thank you for blessing our listeners, for blessing the work of this station. You just-we just ... I don't know what to say, Lord.

VOICE          (Speaks from a location offstage)  You did fine, Meryl.

MERYL          (Opens eyes, glances behind him. Finding no one, briskly shakes his head and rubs his face trying to become more alert and muses)  The voices in my head are getting louder. My wife said this would happen one day. Oh, well. (looks at watch, places both hands on desk to stand, but pauses, weary but smiling, eyes closed)

VOICE          Nice show, Meryl. You wanna know something? (MERYL opens eyes, looks behind him again, looks puzzled and closes eyes again, to listen harder)  You know something, Meryl?

MERYL          (Opens eyes, excited)  Wait a minute. I think I know who you are. Are you ...?

VOICE          Of course, Meryl. I am 'the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.'

MERYL          The 'still, small voice.' I knew it! I knew you were real. (opens eyes briefly, then closes them again)  I knew it.

VOICE          I've heard every prayer. I'm going before you, Meryl. I am equipping you for-

MERYL          (Finishing the VOICE's sentence, passionate)  For ministry! For the work of ministry, right?? Praise God! Praise God!

VOICE          Meryl, the Father has searched your heart and He knows-

MERYL          Yes, yes!! I told my wife this would happen, but she didn't believe me. (wipes at his eyes as though brushing away tears)  But I told her. I said, "I know the plans I have for  you, says the Lord."  I know the plans. (looks toward ceiling) That's in the Bible!

VOICE          Yes, I know. I know.  The Lord has answered all the desires of your heart.

MERYL          I know, I know. He's so good! He's so ...  He's-

VOICE          He wants you to know something.

MERYL          (Suddenly calm, determined)  I'm ready. Where does He want me to go?

VOICE          Well, in the isolated tribal peoples of Africa, centuries of empty sacrifices to false gods has turned to true worship of the one living God-

MERYL          AFRICA!! This is-Oh! This is big!! The natives in poverty. The African sun baking the parched land. Home of African lions and panthers and gigantic flying insects carrying diseases, like malaria and dysentery and-  Wait. (wilting)  Oh, no. Oh, no. I can't do it. I can't go. (ad libs: oh no, no, no ...)

VOICE          Meryl ... (always gentle) Meryl, what is it? Why can't you go?

MERYL          You know!! I'm allergic to wasp stings ... and who knows what else? I swell up and my tongue gets huge, my throat closes up, then I wheeze and choke and ... and ... my eyes roll back in my head until-

VOICE          Meryl. Meryl. You're not going to Africa.

MERYL          (Still hysterical)  Then they stick big, sharp needles in my whole body and- (alert) What?

VOICE          You're not going to Africa.

MERYL          I'm not?

VOICE          You're not.

MERYL          But you said-

VOICE          You didn't let me finish.

MERYL          You stopped talking.

VOICE          No, Meryl, you stopped listening. Okay. Well, let's see. You've been patient in trials, passionate in worship and faithful in many small things. Hm. Many, many, many small things. You have a childlike heart.

MERYL          (Beaming)  That's what my wife says.

VOICE          Meryl, just south of the border, in a tiny Mexican village, the children descend the canyon walls on narrow, winding foot paths to reach the valley below, where they-

MERYL          They wait to hear a word from the Lord, the maker of Heaven! And earth! And canyons ... and valleys! Waiting for fishers of men bringing the Word of the Lord with the full armor of God and a Bible. That's me! Me and my trusty motorcycle, Trigger! And the clean, fresh air. Canyon air.

VOICE          Meryl.

MERYL          I can smell it now!

VOICE          Meryl.

MERYL          And my Bible and ... did I already say Bible?

VOICE          Meryl, a Bible is good, but you'll need something else, some well designed, sturdy footwear.

MERYL          That's right! BOOTS!! And leather chaps and a new motorcycle helmet. I love being a missionary. I need a new BIKE, too. Ooh, I know the perfect-

VOICE          No.

MERYL          No? Oh. The old bike'll do. I can live with that.

VOICE          No.

MERYL          (Focusing more fully)  I don't need new chaps either, do I?

VOICE          No.

MERYL          (Good naturedly)  Or a new helmet.

VOICE          No.

MERYL          (Bravely)  No chaps, no helmet. All right. Anything else?

VOICE          No bike. (MERYL's face goes blank)  There. The Father has read your heart. He is well pleased. Jesus has placed within you a servant's heart, and His Spirit. You have found favor with the Lord. Meryl? (no answer) Meryl, are you still listening?

MERYL          (His face contorts into a pained expression as he covers his face with his hands) My chest hurts.

VOICE          I see.

MERYL          My stomach doesn't feel very good.

VOICE          I know. Do you know what that is?

MERYL          (Hands still covering his face)  No. Well, yes. I think so... I guess I don't know.

VOICE          That's the Flesh, Meryl.

MERYL          It hurts.

VOICE          That is its nature.

MERYL          (Finally straightens, uncovers face)  I've got to think about this. Just let me think about this. This is hard, this Flesh stuff.

VOICE          I know, Meryl. That's why I'm here.

         Lights dim to blackout.


THE END


Word count: 1002
© Copyright 2008 Woodsong (woodsong at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1475855-The-Flesh